• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the Mangongo method of dropping-as-punishment is, uhh, not a great approach to selection when the replacement isn't a better player whatsoever

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That being said Steve Smith massively underperformed his xRuns compared to Coach Mangongo's expectations so he must immediately be dropped for Ben McDermott who has been outperforming his xRuns Coach Mangongo's expectations at Sheffield Shield level. The extremely high likelihood that an underperforming Smith will make more runs than an overperforming McDermott is immaterial, as players must be held to account for scoring less runs than Coach Mangongo thinks they should have scored.

SeamUp

International Coach
You guys will probably be brining around 21 players for the 3 tests. So whoever the periphery players are will be interesting.

Seamers are obvious with Neser, Pattinson, Jhye & maybe one more like Sean Abbott ?

I would drop Wade totally & recall Uzi for highveld pitches.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jhye is iffy, he still can't field 100% and we don't know how fit he'll be for five days. I can imagine it'll be the same six as the past series.

The batting is a real puzzle as no-one's set the world alight and there won't be any shield cricket. I honestly wouldn't rule out a Marsh recall. Think that Harris will survive (we simply don't have anyone else), but won't be first choice. Usman and Maddinson are certainly possibilities, and fairly sure Head will get a recall.

Spark

Global Moderator
Couldn't think of anywhere else to write this, but I'm worried that they're gonna wreck Green's bowling by trying to cast him as a bounce merchant just because he's tall.

In the Shield he's taken wickets by bowling sensibly, good length on or just outside off stump, a bit of seam and outswing. In the tests he pitched far too short for my liking, even briefly trying some ridiculous bouncers around the wicket. His bowling will be far better if he tries to bowl like Jamieson.
Yeah, what I saw during this series was definitely not what I saw in the Shield. It felt that he wasn't really bowling to his strengths or to a plan, just trying to "impose himself on the game" by banging it in at a length when that's not actually his style. It's abundantly clear that the team had no clear idea on how to use him yet.

It's also, frankly, worse for his back if he bowls like that. I'm actually a little surprised he got through the entire series without picking up an injury.

Last edited:

social

Yeah, what I saw during this series was definitely not what I saw in the Shield. It felt that he wasn't really bowling to his strengths or to a plan, just trying to "impose himself on the game" by banging it in at a length when that's not actually his style.

It's also, frankly, worse for his back if he bowls like that. I'm actually a little surprised he got through the entire series without picking up an injury.
His action has improved a lot from an injury pov

Spark

Global Moderator
Still prone to counterrotation based on what I saw. But I think his exaggerated followthrough which takes him most of the way to the striker is an attempt to correct that by straightening it up a bit.

Starfighter

Yeah, what I saw during this series was definitely not what I saw in the Shield. It felt that he wasn't really bowling to his strengths or to a plan, just trying to "impose himself on the game" by banging it in at a length when that's not actually his style.

I reckon he must have been told to bowl like that or picked up the impression that's how should bowl in this team. I think part of the reason why he didn't pick up a wicket was he was bowling the back of back-of-a-length length that was an unfortunate feature of the last two tests. I remember he was getting outswing with the 75 over-old ball in Melbourne, in somewhere like England or New Zealand he should should be able to get it to go consistently if he keeps it right up to the bat. But I'm worried that being in this team with such an insistence on bowling short means he'll never utilise his skills.

It's pretty similar really, more a slight improvement.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cooley has to be close to the biggest coaching fraud of all-time, and there's a lot of contenders there.

Just give the job to Ryano/McDermott FFS.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The people largely calling for wholesale change here are those who are seldom if ever active in the domestic thread

That isn't a coincedence.
You act like you have the absolute monopoly on opinion on Aust selection.

Don’t need to watch every domestic match to formulate an opinion that Kurt Patterson or Nic Maddinson might be a better option than Wade now and in the future.

Also don’t need to watch every domestic match to know Paine is closer to 40 than 30 and has started dropping catches as keeper. Or that Starc was pretty insipid. And that Patto and Richardson just might be better.

Starfighter

Cooley has to be close to the biggest coaching fraud of all-time, and there's a lot of contenders there.

Just give the job to Ryano/McDermott FFS.
Harris, except that I'm not a fan of player-coach overlap. He understood the importance of bowling to hit the stumps. I suppose if Cooley can make a comeback, McDermott can too.

social

You act like you have the absolute monopoly on opinion on Aust selection.

Don’t need to watch every domestic match to formulate an opinion that Kurt Patterson or Nic Maddinson might be a better option than Wade now and in the future.

Also don’t need to watch every domestic match to know Paine is closer to 40 than 30 and has started dropping catches as keeper. Or that Starc was pretty insipid. And that Patto and Richardson just might be better.
GAS contributes some good stuff but I agree with you

You don’t need to watch every minute of domestic to know that Joe Burns was horribly out of form & has a dodgy technique or that Marcus Harris is the same player he was a few months ago or that Warner wasn’t fit or that Starc was basically cooked after Sydney or that Wade is a bandaid