• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah had Lyon kept hanging it out wide like that, I reckon Pant would have had a very tough time scoring as quickly as he did in that last half hour.
Given how much he had to work with with those foot marks outside offstump (and the lack of restrictions in terms of field settings) I think Lyon bowled totally trash from the point where Sundar hooked Cummins for 6 onwards. He just completely lost his cool in that final period of play. To be fair though, Pant was batting incredibly, especially his repeated swipes through midwicket from way outside the line of offstump.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Also Lady Luck is an unpredictable mistress. There were a few edges, which normally in Australia, would find its way precisely calibrated into the fielders hands. Today everything evaded them liek a plague.

What did you do Mr Cricket Australia that she ditched you so badly?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldve all been pointless 4th innings hit and giggle without that Shardul-Sundar partnership though. Series was gone if that partnership ended cheaply.
Haha yeah all Australia had to do to win the series was break a partnership between a bowler in his second Test who averages 16 in FC cricket, and a 21 year old debutant allrounder who hasn't played FC cricket in three years, for like... less than 75 runs.

No dice.

cnerd123

likes this
Nothing wrong with australia's bouncers/behaviour today.

Was a relatively well mannered series on the field by Australia-India standards. I would like to see some kind of change from ICC as I mentioned before on whether those unnecessary head/shoulder high throws from close-in fielders/bowlers can be treated similar to beamers. For example if a bowler does it, give a no ball, and give him a beamer warning, one more and he's gone. If a fielder does it, 5 penalty runs? No ball? I dunno, but I'd like to see something in the rulebook to discourage what is really petulant, ****ty and can someday cause a worrisome injury especially since its a scenario where a batsman might not be expecting it to come his way.
There is probably a catch-all section under the Law 42: Conduct, but my guess is that it's only a reporting mechanism without any on field penalty. So players can get dinged after the game and fined/suspended, but nothing will be enforced on the field.

I do like the idea of Yellow Cards and Red Cards in cricket for conduct violation. Let the umpire warn players for bad conduct, and if they misbehave again, send them off the field. Could lead to some hilarious scenarios.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Spark

Global Moderator
Given how much he had to work with with those foot marks outside offstump (and the lack of restrictions in terms of field settings) I think Lyon bowled totally trash from the point where Sundar hooked Cummins for 6 onwards. He just completely lost his cool in that final period of play. To be fair though, Pant was batting incredibly, especially his repeated swipes through midwicket from way outside the line of offstump.
Completely agree. Lost his head and thus his line entirely.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
India thoroughly deserved victory, but Paine's field placements with a few overs to go were diabolical. There were easy singles everywhere when he should have been setting fields that demanded the batters take risks.

Slifer

International Captain
system has finally reached the inflection point.

india with 1.2 billion people should always have been the best team in the world. but most of those 1.2 billion were poor so india was a middling team.

post 90s economic reforms the economy has grown and thus the team has kept becoming better (higher fc salaries, sports science, coaches,ipl etc etc). this is the decade i believe india will pull away completely.

post that usa in basketball level.
Pull away? No sir. Unless I'm mistaken a full strength India team recently got white washed in NZ. India's bowling is at an atg level but their batting (outside of India) still needs plenty of work. India fixes its batting frailties outside the Sub continent, and their well on their way to being an atg team. For now, India is atg at home and good away.

Kirkut

International Regular
I do like the idea of Yellow Cards and Red Cards in cricket for conduct violation. Let the umpire warn players for bad conduct, and if they misbehave again, send them off the field. Could lead to some hilarious scenarios.
Nah, I'd like the game to retain it's old school toughness.

OverratedSanity

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Nah despite the injuries caused by short pitched bowling (Its test cricket ffs), this series was largely Kumbaya till India sneaked one on Aus with the MCG win. Aus I think clearly underestimated Ind there.

Come SCG and Aussies were back to the much more familiar Heels mode. Even Paine resorting to laughable jibes and Marnus trying hard to act like a 15 Yr old.

For me the real heel turn came this last test when Lyon launched one aimed at Sundar's head after fielding in follow through. There was no apology or even a pretension of false concern ala Brett Lee. And at that moment i knew this was true blue test.cricket in Australia. Hazelwood constantly staring at Pujara like an Indian boomer looking at a modern dressed girl on the street, and chiming in what only he could hear was nice to see as well.

Finally some real edge and these only added to the feeling of this being an unbekivably hard fought win.
I don't think Aus were too bad tbh

These are a couple of small incidents out of dozens of hours of play.

They were getting pantsd in their own backyard by a second string team, they had to show some aggression.

Lyon thing was poor today tbf.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah had Lyon kept hanging it out wide like that, I reckon Pant would have had a very tough time scoring as quickly as he did in that last half hour.
Lyon really only lost the plot after that 13 run over. All 6 balls were outside off, but Pant hit two of them for 4 through leg and Paine missed one for 4 byes.

Felt like Australia's collective shoulders dropped there and then. India's concentration lapsed too, with Washy and Thakur both getting out to loose shots.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He played a very similar shot in an ODI once after I'd spent all day questioning the idea that he'd been picked partly for batting because his record was so ****.

I tasted it big time. I think it was honestbharani who gave it to me that day.

He is Agarkar 2.0 for sure.
It was actually Daemon. I said I suspected Thakur's batting might be "a myth" and compared him to Umesh. Daemon told me he'd played some useful cameos in the IPL, but with a HS of 22 and an average of 7 in that I wasn't having it. Then he came out and played a shot like that at the end of the ODI innings.

#CanBat for sure though.

OverratedSanity

Huh, we've finally learned Pratters true identity and it's Mark Reason.

Wait wtf it really is Pratters wtf I just realised what this piece was about.