• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does that team beat a Sri Lanka one? Probably but obviously hugely conditions dependent. A combined team is kind of fun

Turner
Sutcliffe
Sangakkara
Williamson
Jayawardene
Watling
Cairns
Hadlee
Herath
Bond
Muralitharan

Could have cheated and have Sanga keep and then can have Crowe. Maybe he should be ahead of Jayawardene anyway.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
nice side, though i disagree with a few. latham is behind turner, sutcliffe, richardson, wright and maybe dempster imo. great shield standard attack basher, averages 28 against the good ones because he throws away 40-70* scores.

i adore wags, but imo he's 4th with a clear gap between hadlee, cowie, bond and the rest in quality. im usually suspect on so few tests and what old writers say but everything said about cowie, and the results of his performances in fc matches against australian and english sides including one with bradman, convinces me he was on that hadlee/bond level. maybe tom pritchard was too, but i don't know enough.

it's a shame nz never produced a really good attacking spinner because mccullum the batsman or fleming would be fun at #6, but i can't justify three quicks and the current spinner choices.

turner
sutcliffe
williamson
crowe (c)
taylor
watling
cairns
vettori
hadlee
bond
cowie

a seconds eleven where there's probably more debate over more spots

wright
richardson
jones
fleming (c)
mccullum
oram
vivian
taylor
smith (wk)
southee
wagner

giff vivian balances this side so well since i want to avoid ian smith batting higher up but still include someone who bowls spin. bruce taylor beats out the bowlers of similar quality because he can bat and had a rep as a flat deck bowler.
Crowe was a very creative ODI captain (with help from Warren Lees) and a gifted player, but a poor test captain. Williamson would be better.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I love Grimmett, training a dog to count to six and then collect the balls he'd just bowled on his backyard pitch. Proper old Australia

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
What about Stokes also in a born in NZ XI? In ahead of Cairns and John R Reid. Then I'd pick McCullum's destructiveness at 7 instead of Watling:

S Dempster
G Turner
K Williamson
M Crowe
R Taylor
B Stokes
B McCullum (c & wk)
R Hadlee
S Bond
C Grimmett
J Cowie

jcas0167

International Debutant
I keep seeing Barry Richards selected in ATG Test teams. Not his fault obviously, but he played only 4 tests with an impressive record of 508 runs at 72.57 with 2 hundreds

Well guess what, Sunil Gavaskar after only 4 Tests had 774 runs at 154.80 and 4 hundreds....so who was the better opener after such a small sample size?

Why are people convinced he was a proven Test star when he may have become a Hick or Mark Waugh at Test Level? It's like picking Sobers in an ATG T20 XI
True, although people are unlikely to be picking him on the sample size of four tests? They would also do so based on how he was rated by the top players of his era who played with/against him in country cricket or Sheffield Shield. He seems to consistently be rated up with the very best, at least in autobiographies I've read.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
We're joking around here but surely you understand the concept

NZ beating India at cricket
would be like the Maldives beating USA at American football. Just because they have the same number of players on the field doesn't make it any less insane
Uruguay are excellent at football.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
True, although people are unlikely to be picking him on the sample size of four tests? They would also do so based on how he was rated by the top players of his era who played with/against him in country cricket or Sheffield Shield. He seems to consistently be rated up with the very best, at least in autobiographies I've read.
That's also Hick/Ramprakash at first class level though....

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What about Stokes also in a born in NZ XI? In ahead of Cairns and John R Reid. Then I'd pick McCullum's destructiveness at 7 instead of Watling:

S Dempster
G Turner
K Williamson
M Crowe
R Taylor
B Stokes
B McCullum (c & wk)
R Hadlee
S Bond
C Grimmett
J Cowie
Soon NZ XI will not need to include Cowie, the 9 match wonder.

Flem274*

123/5
there's only one, maybe two bowlers we have currently who could do that. i don't include county mercenaries dempster or donnelly in my teams anymore, but everything i know about cowie screams proto-hadlee in bowling talent.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Can you guess my first 2 ATG XI’s based on my third? (tests only, sorry Barry and Mike, retired players only as well)

Hayden
Boycott
Headley
Chappell
Pollock
Border*
Marsh+
Lindwall
Donald
Ambrose
Barnes