• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- #1 ranked test side for the first time ever

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'll take it.

I know its algorithms, and dont truly believe where the best in the world, but can understand we're number 1 ranked according to algorithm in the considered timeframes.

It's one of those times when the number 1 ranking is fluid and the top teams aren't perfect. Reminds me of when India took number 1 about 5 years ago but were flawed in SENA.

As i said, I'll take it, very proud of them.

India look to be probably the best all-conditions team at the moment, IMO, on paper, if they can trust Ashwin and Jadeja (and Pant) away as well as home.

Howsie

International Captain
what do you mean?
It was brought up numerous times yesterday about how New Zealand haven’t won an away test series agonist England, India, South Africa or Australia in the last five years. Batting Australia NZ haven’t have toured any of those countries since 2016...

Like you said hard to win when you don’t actually tour

The Hutt Rec

At the end of the day we’ve only lost one series in the last four years home or away, so you can’t ask for much more. Pretty sure the players would love to get more of those marquee tours to Australia/India/England/South Africa ... and if they got them a bit more often they’d more than likely start performing better in them as well.

nzfan

Just been watching the Aussie India series and the pitch looks a belter. Haven't seen a pitch of that color in New Zealand in over a decade.

Out pitches looks greener than their outfield.

I think as a bowler it's so much harder to pick up wickets over in Aussie but teams are getting bowled out for next to nothing often.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Although of least importance, now if we can make the finals of T20 WC it'll be a complete performance in all formats and the current team will be touted as the best ever black caps side.
Out of interest, which NZ teams would you say are better than the current one?

nzfan

Out of interest, which NZ teams would you say are better than the current one?
Maybe the 80s with Hadlee and Crowe both in their prime form. Pretty good side then in both forms of cricket. That's when we last won a test series in Aussie.

Very close second the current one since 2015. Don't have the overseas wins enough as yet but getting there.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe the 80s with Hadlee and Crowe both in their prime form. Pretty good side then in both forms of cricket. That's when we last won a test series in Aussie.
Not sure that should be the benchmark. IIRC the Aussies were terrible at that stage.

nzfan

Not sure that should be the benchmark. IIRC the Aussies were terrible at that stage.
Not just that one series but pretty sure we won in England, beat a bloody good WI team at home. Mostly beat most teams that toured us. Won a test match in India. Fairly young then but pretty sure not many series were lost. If there were ratings then Black Caps would have been close to first. Maybe it lasted like 5 years from mid 80s to about 90s by the time Sir Richard Hadlee retired.

jcas0167

International Debutant
O for awesome!

I started watching in 1993/94 and soon after that was the nadir of the centenary season. To see us reach no.1 is incredible.
I remember Rutherford, the captain during that period, wrote in his book that if NZ made various changes in the future it could be a consistent top 4 side. Still, I don't think he could have dreamt a group of players would emerge that would get NZ to number 1 when even the great 80's side never managed that.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Very close second the current one since 2015. Don't have the overseas wins enough as yet but getting there.
We would wipe the floor of that NZ team 9 times out of 10 imo.

Hadlee is our greatest ever player. Crowe is at the very least our second best ever batsman.

But after that the quality just doesn't match up. Our current attack is effectively the rest of the NZ ATG attack, our current batting line up sans an opener is filling out our ATG best batting lineup. Watling is our greatest ever keeper. Its just a far more complete lineup.

They're a good team our 80s squad and I'd rate them to beat out early 2000s team or our early 2010s team but NZ cricket right now is at its high water mark.

Flem274*

123/5
hmm maybe. wright, jones, jf reid and smiths keeping were pretty ****in good as well. the major difference is the bowling because chatfield and cairns don't measure up to staples of the nz all time second xi (no one should select the modern guys ahead of generational talents like bond and cowie).

the combined team;

wright
jones (he's just a better player than either modern opener, can't leave him out)
williamson
crowe
taylor
jf reid/coney/latham/cdg (depends whether you want the extra batsman or an allrounder - im flexible for this spot)
watling
hadlee
bracewell
southee/boult
wagner

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm surprised you have Jones ahead of Latham, I'm even more surprised you have Jones ahead of Turner.