• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

Shady Slim

International Coach
let’s remember some guys!! but what is a “guy”?

a guy is a player who’s mediocre, but is not exceptionally so. a guy comes along and gets internationals, but isn’t in the team for 5+ years as a fixture. a guy can have great innings, great patches, but if you’re a guy then you’re not the glue that holds a team together. a guy is someone who you are looking at old scorecards and you remember oh, wow, yeah, he was a guy! he existed! this guy was on my tv at one stage!

so

i’ll get us kicked off with jeevan mendis, sri lankan, who came on tour in 2012/13, part of the limited overs squad. all rounder, who outbowled the more hyped and touted mendis on the tour, ajantha. despite this i’m pretty sure that he was here as a batting AR. @Migara could have some possible intel on his current whereabouts, and is also someone who i expect to give us a lot of Guys.

so come along and remember some guys too!

Flem274*

123/5
dean brownlie was a fantastic player of pace and bounce in aus and sa but sadly could not cope with any form of spin. he tried to open for his province to get in before he had to face spin, but sadly the new kookaburra swings vicious and late and he was kinda bad at playing it.

he now plays white ball cricket for northern districts after he and daniel flynn were unceremoniously dumped as first choice players for the red ball side and sports a solid beard.

he played 14 tests for nz between 2011 and 2013 for a ton and four half centuries at an average of 29 and can boast an impressive debut series in australia on sporting decks and a test hundred against south africa, the best pace attack in the world and in their own conditions. robin peterson is the only spinner dean brownlie has ever dealt with at test level.

so close yet so far.

the big bambino

International Captain
Asif Mujtaba did something special in an odi v Aus, looked promising but spluttered along into retirement. Abdur Razzaq? Probably too good for this thread but definitely under performed when you think of the talent he had with bat and ball.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Pragyan Ojha. Pretty good bowler for a while, but sort of dropped off the scene quickly. My abiding memory of him is doing a number on England back in 2012 - think he got Cook, Bell, Pietersen out in very quick succession, combined with some awful discipline from the top order

sunilz

International Regular
Pragyan Ojha. Pretty good bowler for a while, but sort of dropped off the scene quickly. My abiding memory of him is doing a number on England back in 2012 - think he got Cook, Bell, Pietersen out in very quick succession, combined with some awful discipline from the top order
Ravindra Jadeja happened.
That home series loss to Eng did 2 good things to Indian cricket
1. Gave Ravindra Jadeja
2. Got rid of Yuvraj from test team permanently.

sunilz

International Regular
R.P. Singh
In 2007 -08 season he bowled at par with Zaheer Khan and then he got fat and lazy.
Was excellent in T20 WC 2007

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
What happened to Mark Craig? First (still only?) player to hit the first ball he faced in Test cricket for 6. Was in the last New Zealand Test side to tour England, and I was in the ground to see him hit a not-particularly-majestic-but-totally-fine 40-odd not out under grey skies at Headingley. He took some wickets sometimes. He wasn't a world class spinner but he was a guy. Then at some point that I can't remember he was dropped for a succession of similarly not-world-class NZ spinners. Not-world-class spinners who didn't hit their first balls faced in Test cricket for 6. Can anyone honestly say, hand on heart that that was the right move? Probably. But what happened to him, why did he fall so far down the pecking order of lovably ineffective NZ Test spinners?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hemang Badani was a very elegant left hander from Tamil Nadu who played 4 tests and 40 ODIs for India in the early 2000s. A perfectly ok limited overs player, he played a couple of superb ODI innings against the great Australian side. He had a nice looking late cut, could play some excellent inside out shots to the spinners and had a very unique wristy on drive. He wasnt amazing but him being binned for Dinesh Mongia (another #guy from that era of India cricket who was also considered a elegant middler order left handed bat) was pretty odd because he was better in virtually every way.

Incidentally, the robelinda video of his excellent hundred against Australia (McGrath, Bracken and Fleming in the attack) has 4.8 million views for some reason (probably because of the typically hyperbolic title):

In tests, he was unfortunate enough to tour SL right in the middle of the purplest of purple patches of Murali's career and didnt look up to it. Also wasnt great against the short ball so wouldve been found out even if persisted with.

He's a "guy" I usually never think about except when watching highlights of Kolkata 2001 (which is once every few months) and realize he took a good catch to dismiss Steve Waugh on day 5 to spark the collapse. Post retirement, I think he's reasonably well known in the south as a tamil cricket commentator, but dont know much else . Maybe @honestbharani or @Shri can provide some more info.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
craig met australia, and mitchell santner plays for the province in the seat of power

craig's a shame really. he's already retired from fc cricket. he had some injuries after being dropped and never took the shield wickets ajaz, somerville and todd astle did. can't help but feel a country that didn't nerf all finger spinners in domestix could have made more from him. on his day he was a weapon, plus could bat and catch.

oh well, we've got ajaz patel and will somerville now as a deterrent to host nations pulling a nagpur.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone remember Dan Christian's ODI hattrick?

Also Dhammika Prasad disappearing off the the face of the Earth just as he seemed to be getting decent (in fairness, he was 32 at the time). Was vital to SL winning that series in England.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyone remember Dan Christian's ODI hattrick?

Also Dhammika Prasad disappearing off the the face of the Earth just as he seemed to be getting decent (in fairness, he was 32 at the time). Was vital to SL winning that series in England.
yesss and the other bloke nuwan pradeep had some good days too.