• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in New Zealand 2020/21

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Guptill
Latham
Ross
Kane
BJ Watling
Boult
Southee
Wagner
Jamieson*

NZ has at least 8 active National ATGs. Most in any Team.

Other sides have 1 to 4 ATG.
Pak , 1 (Babar)
WI , 1 (Holder)
SA , 2 (QDK , Rabada)
Eng , 4 (Root , Stokes , Broad , Anderson)
Ind , 4 (Kohli , Rohit , Pujara , Ashwin)
Aus , 4 (Smith , Warner , Starc , Cummins)
Ishant and jadeja for India, also bumrah is arguably already a limited overs ATG as far as India goes.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Time to get cracking vs Pakistan now. I do believe Pakistan will be a better opponent than WI maybe not on paper but in real. They have some good young talent and on their day they can pose serious threat. WI were real good on paper particularly in T20Is but they just didn't deliver. Through out the T20 and test series their catching and fielding was not up to mark. Bowling was better in tests but their batting was terrible in test cricket.

Pakistan has a bit of flair in their batting line up and I reckon it's not all Babar Azam as it is made out to be. They have reasonably good batting lineup and very good bowling line up. I think they will definitely pose some problems for us in test match, particularly the first test.

As for Black Caps, the team is set. Kane comes in and Young goes out or keep Young and get rid of Mitchell. Darryl Mitchell hasn't done much wrong but his contribution with the ball is always going to be minuscule. Hope Ajaz is ready to go by the time the test match starts otherwise time to bring either Santner or Will Sommerville in the team to play at Bay. The pitch at Bay will not offer as much for the faster bowlers for a long duration and will definitely need a spinner to bowl some fill in overs unless Kane can roll his arm over. To get to the WTC finals we need to win both the test matches to enhance our chances.

nzfan

I wouldn't care about the T20Is, just few jammy games and get to watch balls sailing over the ropes. You can pick any bowler you like, they will all get the same treatment particularly the grounds we're playing at, Auckland, Hamilton and Napier. Smallish grounds and might as well replace bowlers with bowling machine.

England First

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What a likeable team New Zealand are now. I’ve always had India as my second test playing nation that I’ve supported but New Zealand are fast over taking them. Also I like just watching how peaceful the test match setting is out there. Looks like England 50 years ago. So calm and relaxed and safe. Looks a beautiful country. Great grounds

nzfan

An update from the Black Caps management... CDG out till mid Jan. Lockie tests yet to come in. Kane still waiting on the baby.

Ajaz Patel drafted into the NZ A side, he's good to go. If he holds up all right he'll get a go at the bay test match likely.

Immenso

Good news on Ajaz. Was concerned he might get drafted into a test with zero cricket.

Immenso

If Babar Azam is out of T20Is with a broken thumb, surely he is also a huuuuuuge doubt for the tests?

nzfan

If Babar Azam is out of T20Is with a broken thumb, surely he is also a huuuuuuge doubt for the tests?
4-6 weeks for a broken finger to come all right unless they are going to rush him which won't be good for him.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Who could Ajaz even come into the team for? Southee, Boult, Wagner, Jamieson are undroppable on current form IMO, and dropping Mitchell for Ajaz weakens the batting too much.

Only option I see is Santner for Mitchell.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but we saw the limitations of the 4 seamers approach on day 3 v WI. Even with 4 of them, the quicks were starting to look seriously tired. Against a batting lineup with a bit of starch its very easy to foresee that approach leading to problems. It's a pity that Rachin's bowling isn't really there yet, as him coming in to bat at number 6 would be pretty ideal from a long run development point of view.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Agree with you Bahnz, it's a tricky call for the selectors to make and it all comes down to what Pakistan team has turned up in NZ. I was surprised by the lack of bowling Mitchell did in the Test, but I suppose that goes to show Latham didn't have a lot of faith in him.

You could argue too with the batting ability show by Jamieson, Southee, Boult and Wagner with their recent run of scores that we could risk Ajaz coming in for Mitchell.

nzfan

Honestly Mitchell's bowling is just a notch above club level. Nothing exciting about it. His batting is all right though.

I wouldn't rule out Ravindra as yet, there had to be a reason why they were having him bat at no.6 This is the lowest spot he has batted for NZ A in red ball cricket. They're definitely building him into that role. If he takes few poles next game vs Pakistan and some runs he may be considered. If not immediately he will make his debut for Black Caps very soon. I predict he'll be playing this season. I have not seen too many players from our shores that can play spin, pace, defend, wallop the ball for big sixes, bowl and field equally well. I don't think he'll be kept out for too long. Only a matter of time. If they don't fit him into test cricket, they will fit him into white ball cricket no doubt.

Is it good to build Ravindra into no.6 role? I think that's a brilliant move. He has enough quality to move up the order over the time. I don't think anyone will be able to keep him from getting what he wants in the long run.

For now play Ajaz in Darryl Mitchell's place. Play with 6 main batters and have Kyle Jamieson. Steady has confirmed already Killer is not ready for no.7 yet meaning it will be Santner 8-) He's also said the decks are not as dry and there was fair bit of grass recently. If that is true then it'll be unchanged side.

nzfan

On that note, is it the end of Will Somerville? Can't see him picked ever again for Black Caps. He's been bowling quite well but with very few test matches and with couple more spinners in the pipeline his short career for Black Caps seems to be over.

Flem274*

123/5
neither jamieson or santner have any business in the #7 role. nz are just going to have to grow some balls and choose 3 of the 4 quicks if they decide we need a proper spinner, which rachin is not yet.

will somerville will feature in overseas tests if he's bowling well. ajaz and somerville have been a potent combination in the subcontinent, where again nz will have to choose 2 of 4 quicks.

nzfan

You can't have both ways, you can't pick a spinner like Ajaz with not much batting and fielding skills expecting him to score runs. Likewise you can't pick Mitchell and expect him to pick lots of wickets. If we had a player that can score hundreds and pick 3 or more wickets potentially we will be the best team in the planet. If you need batting cover then Mitchell or Santner is your answer. Yes Santner's hundy vs England was as jammy as Nicholls' recent hundred with his struggles against short balls but at least he has a test hundred to his name.