• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in New Zealand 2020/21

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Michael Bracewell captaining NZ A ... dunno who I’d least prefer out of him or Santner tbh
No..... Hope he doesn't end up bowling himself as we have seen him do for firebirds. As soon as Ravindra and Younghusband are bowling a bit they are among wickets. He has single handedly screwed up Ravindra and Younghusband's growth as spinners at firebirds level. During the recent test match every past Firebirds stalwart was making comments our captain just bowls himself all the time and not letting Ravindra grow as a bowler. Not just one but many.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That will be the most out of the blue selection ever for Black Caps. Obviously I think he's way better batsman than Darryl Mitchell, there's no comparison and although his figures don't reflect he's better bet than Santner with the ball.
Haha I think neither of these things are true (although I'd be disappointed if at least one of them wasn't within a couple of years), but I still think he's the best pick for the spot.

nzfan

Haha I think neither of these things are true (although I'd be disappointed if at least one of them wasn't within a couple of years), but I still think he's the best pick for the spot.
Mark my words mate... I have seen enough cricket in my life to work out how far someone will go. This lad is a sure shot success. The below is not me but I follow him on twitter and this is exactly what I heard that day at Hutt Rec from late Martin Crowe. You don't think Martin Crowe, Richard Hadlee would go wrong in recognizing the obvious talent.

1608089871138.png

nzfan

The only caveat to the above is if he finds women, booze and quick bucks in T20 interesting. Those definitely are massive distractions as he's still young but if he has a good enough mentor as hard as it maybe he may be able to handle those challenges.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mark my words mate... I have seen enough cricket in my life to work out how far someone will go. This lad is a sure shot success. The below is not me but I follow him on twitter and this is exactly what I heard that day at Hutt Rec from late Martin Crowe. You don't think Martin Crowe, Richard Hadlee would go wrong in recognizing the obvious talent.

View attachment 26450
Sure, but thinking Rachin will probably be an absolute gun (sign me up) and thinking he's already an absolute gun right now are different things. I'd be very surprised if he didn't end up better than Mitchell with the bat, in particular.

If I wanted someone to just bat 6 for me, or just bowl left arm spin for me in a Test right now, I'd take Mitchell for the former and Santner (or even better, Ajaz) for the latter, for sure.

If I want someone to do both then it's Rachin though (not that watching Mitchell try to bowl left arm spin wouldn't be amusing).

nzfan

I don't think they will play Rachin, no chance unless he does another double for NZ A i.e score a hundred and take a five fer which is probably 1 in a thousand chance.

I'd go with Ajaz and a bit of an off field selection of Doug Bracewell.

Black Caps will likely go unchanged unless Jazz is able to pick reasonable number of wickets for NZ A.

P.S: Just have a bit more soft corner for Rachin as he gave my son his NZ A helmet and my lad has Rachin's poster in his room now like the old school :D I had to print a massive poster at my work's expense as cricket magazines with posters are out of question these days.

Last edited:

nzfan

NZ A side for tomorrow's game - Michael Bracewell (c), Joe Carter, Leo Carter, Henry Cooper, Cameron Fletcher, Matt Henry, Ken McClure, Ed Nuttall, Nathan Smith, Michael Rae, Rachin Ravindra, Michael Rippon, Sean Solia.

Good to see Leo Carter, he's been in some very good form over the last couple of years in all formats. Pretty much Otago bowling line up barring Matt Henry. I'm hoping this doesn't end up all 13 playing and stick to playing XI Also good to see Cooper and Joe Carter in the team. Both very good players and don't generally get much media coverage like some others do. Ken McClure deserves a go as well... he's been extra ordinary and in Conwayish form. Likely to sit Sean Solia and Michael Rippon out.

Super glad to see Nathan Smith in the mix as well...

BTW where is Ajaz Patel? I thought he was playing this game?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fantastic to see Cooper get a NZ A opportunity in his home town. If workload allows, I'm hoping to get to the ground for some of this.

nzfan

Looking at the A team, I don't think they are going to play Ajaz with no recent match practice straight in the test match. I think our lineup will be unchanged and that's not a bad thing.

Chewie

Sure, but thinking Rachin will probably be an absolute gun (sign me up) and thinking he's already an absolute gun right now are different things. I'd be very surprised if he didn't end up better than Mitchell with the bat, in particular.

If I wanted someone to just bat 6 for me, or just bowl left arm spin for me in a Test right now, I'd take Mitchell for the former and Santner (or even better, Ajaz) for the latter, for sure.

If I want someone to do both then it's Rachin though (not that watching Mitchell try to bowl left arm spin wouldn't be amusing).
Pick Mark Chapman to do that

Immenso

That will be the most out of the blue selection ever for Black Caps. Obviously I think he's way better batsman than Darryl Mitchell, there's no comparison and although his figures don't reflect he's better bet than Santner with the ball.
Most out of the blue selection ever was Greg Loveridge. Then Robert Kennedy, then Mark Haslam and Dion Nash in 92, then Adam Milne.

Immenso

That is actually quite a surprisingly weak 'A' team. Way weaker than v Windians. The T20 call ups decimate it. No, decimate is too mild. It is duomated.

Seiffert, Phillips, Chapman, D Bracewell, Kuggeleijn, Sodhi,Duffy, Tickner. And of course the phantom Conway.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Rachin is what NZ have been wanting for years. Someone who can bat in the top 6 or 7 who can bowl spin to either give the quicks a rest or to potentially take advantage of seaming conditions. It allows us to play all four quicks who are undroppable at the present time.

Mitchell does not work as a 5th steamer in an all-seam attack. You need a point of difference.

But calling on a debutant to bowl us to victory on the 5th day is a huge ask. That’s why I really don’t think they’ll go for it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rachin is what NZ have been wanting for years. Someone who can bat in the top 6 or 7 who can bowl spin to either give the quicks a rest or to potentially take advantage of seaming conditions. It allows us to play all four quicks who are undroppable at the present time.

Mitchell does not work as a 5th steamer in an all-seam attack. You need a point of difference.

But calling on a debutant to bowl us to victory on the 5th day is a huge ask. That’s why I really don’t think they’ll go for it.
I mean, Mitchell isn't going to bowl you to victory on the 5th day either.

If they don't go with it because they pick Ajaz or Santner then that's fine. If they go unchanged it's a bit nnnn for me, although I am pretty allergic to five man seam attacks at the best of times.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It would be very similar to Vettori vs England in the 3rd test in 1997.

I firmly believe unless it’s a green seamer that you have to cover all potential paths to winning a match. You need a spinner. If Ajaz is not playing the A game then it’s between Santner and Rachin.

Chewie

I mean, Mitchell isn't going to bowl you to victory on the 5th day either.

If they don't go with it because they pick Ajaz or Santner then that's fine. If they go unchanged it's a bit nnnn for me, although I am pretty allergic to five man seam attacks at the best of times.
its illegal

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
BTW where is Ajaz Patel? I thought he was playing this game?
Larsen said Leo Carter and Sean Solia would act as 12th/13th men to cover for concussion and/or COVID-19 substitutes. Having played the sixth round of the Ford Trophy yesterday, both were travelling to Whangarei today.

He added that spin-bowler Ajaz Patel, who suffered a calf injury six weeks ago, will join the team and train with it, as he continues his rehabilitation ahead of the Test series against Pakistan.
Clearly still not fit, can't see him playing a part in the test series.