• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The balls of the century

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf the Asif one was largely a fluke as well. There's no way he planned for that ball to do exactly what it did, just landed it on the wobbly seam to see what would happen.
he did it all the time though, just not that much

TheJediBrah

he did it all the time though, just not that much
I'm not saying it's as flukey as the crack one, nowhere near, but most of the deliveries on this list will have a fair chunk of fluke about them. Otherwise they'd be getting bowled all the time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starc says he was aiming at the area with the cracks to try and create something. I don't see how that is much different to a medium pace bowler applying cut to the ball and trying to land it on the seam for movement back.

As far as "balls of the century" go, for this to get two is pretty asinine. McGrath bowled better balls during the Lords test in 05. This ball hardly screamed unplayable. It did a lot but that alone shouldn't see a ball get called the second best of the last 20 years.

It's much rather have seen that Murali or Warne ball indeed. In fact, Waqar should consider himself unlucky he peaked 10 years too soon.

Daemon

Starc says he was aiming at the area with the cracks to try and create something. I don't see how that is much different to a medium pace bowler applying cut to the ball and trying to land it on the seam for movement back.
"Admittedly I probably wasn't aiming for that crack, because it was a little too straight if it moves [into the right-hander], but yeah, there was a little bit of luck, and fortunately it hit the stumps."

TheJediBrah

As far as "balls of the century" go, for this to get two is pretty asinine. McGrath bowled better balls during the Lords test in 05. This ball hardly screamed unplayable. It did a lot but that alone shouldn't see a ball get called the second best of the last 20 years.
not sure if srs

it cut in like a Murali off-break ffs. At 130kph. On a perfect line and length. If that's not unplayable then I don't know what is.

btw assuming Harris to Cook will be no. 1 or this list has lost all legitimacy

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It's my favorite McGrath spell to watch, but I just don't see how that ball is better. Vaughan played it horribly. VVS covered himself really well. Asif's also jagged in way more. If anything, the one to Freddie was really really good and probably the pick of this spell.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's my favorite McGrath spell to watch, but I just don't see how that ball is better. Vaughan played it horribly. VVS covered himself really well. Asif's also jagged in way more. If anything, the one to Freddie was really really good and probably the pick of this spell.
I really don't like the way Laxman played that ball. He left a huge gap between bat and pad that he then closed after the ball had already bowled him. It was lazy defense. As opposed to the McGrath balls which were played on three back foot because they looked shorter than they were.

I actually think the reason I dislike the Asif ball is that Laxman's shot really annoys me.