• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On
Ok, let us break this down Mr Biryani - "Gilly being the better gloveman over MSD is absurd to the extreme"
I assume you do not know what absurd and extreme means, because if you did, it would be absurd to think Dhoni, who has taken 28 fewer dismissals in 63 more matches is better. Add to that Gilly's 1.68 dismissals per game to Dhoni's 1.29 (with keepers who have more than 200 dismissals, this is 4th worst...ech our own Buttler is better and he isn't even considered a great keeper).

"I mean, if you hate MSD so much, it explains why you are hardly ever around here to post, as there is only so much salt a human body can take. " This part I do not understand, I am supposed to be around more to hate on Dhoni more?

"India-bashing Paks supporter who is also pissed off by his side currently being crap"....this is assuming I am Pakistani or a Pakistani supporter, neither of which is true. In fact, your racial bias is making me mull over the idea of messaging the admins.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Good stats HB. I still don't rate any of them better than Gilchrist in terms of ability to perform things others cant in that role.

In all honesty, I doubt there's been a more feared ODI bat in terms of destructiveness than Gilly, besides Viv. God I miss watching how hard and clean he hit it.

Reactions: vcs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good stats HB. I still don't rate any of them better than Gilchrist in terms of ability to perform things others cant in that role.

In all honesty, I doubt there's been a more feared ODI bat in terms of destructiveness than Gilly, besides Viv. God I miss watching how hard and clean he hit it.

I remember Sir Geoffrey Boycott calling him the left handed Viv Richards in a Test once. And that is true, in tests. I just don't think he was as good in ODIs, a bit of the Sehwagitis IMO. Plus his post 2005 slump was very real.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gentle reminder: batting averages mean something; they are not assigned through a random number generator.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Swhwag is a good comparison for Gilchrist. Played almost the same role and played many cameos that changed the complexion of the game. In WC 2011 semi final for example India would have got at least 20 runs less than what they got if not for Sehwag's early blitz. Sehwag though is never in contention among best ODI openers and correctly so.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gentle reminder: batting averages mean something; they are not assigned through a random number generator.
Ok, I have a question for you here. I think even the most ardent Dhoni fan will admit that he has mostly been sub par in the last 3-4 years of his career. He lost matches for the team with alarming regularity which even you (I think) admitted while watching it all happen). Lets just consider his last year for this. He managed a 60+ average in 2019. Would you agree that his actual contributions were nowhere near as good as Rohit's during the year (who only averaged 57)? Its a small sample of course but the point is that if the difference in their averages completely lie about their actual quality in this case, you have to admit that average is a much more wonky stat than you're making it out to be.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Catch-22 of cricket web. If you use averages to back-up your point you'll get "averages aren't everything, don't you know that noob". If you use your own/other's impressions to back-up your point you'll get "that's just a subjective opinion, doesn't mean anything".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He lost matches for the team with alarming regularity
Just a blatantly false statement. Gimme a list of these games he has supposedly "lost" for the team.... Dumbest post in a thread full of TJB, stephen and the closet India hater/Pak Supporter's posts... some effort, that...

OverratedSanity

Swhwag is a good comparison for Gilchrist. Played almost the same role and played many cameos that changed the complexion of the game. In WC 2011 semi final for example India would have got at least 20 runs less than what they got if not for Sehwag's early blitz. Sehwag though is never in contention among best ODI openers and correctly so.
Thats because Sehwag's stats in ODIs were mediocre until the last 2-3 years of his career.. the guy was averaging barely over 30 until around 2008, after which he had a few amazingly productive years during a time when everyone started filling their boots and averages started skyrocketing. Its a very lopsided and uneven career overall. Similar to how Sangakkara's trajectory went.

TheJediBrah

Just a blatantly false statement. Gimme a list of these games he has supposedly "lost" for the team.... Dumbest post in a thread full of TJB, stephen and the closet India hater/Pak Supporter's posts... some effort, that...
Not every vaguely negative judgment on an Indian cricketer is a personal reflection on you. You need to try and separate yourself.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That list of openers largely from the last 5 years surely showed him.
Yeah coz Watson, Tendulkar, Amla, Watson and Dilshan never played before the last 5 years. And of course, ODIs in the last 5 years should not count coz they prove you wrong. :laugh: