• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank These 21st Century Pacers

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe in ODIs but not in tests. Pressure is everything in tests.
Nah HB is right. Even in Tests the guy flinging it everywhere can get you out cause you don't know where it's going, and Starc definitely fits this description a lot of the time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its a different story if he was incapable of bowling the odd pearl. He is, which makes it that much more dangerous. Of course, it also means you can lose the advantage esp. in conditions where runs are at a premium but right now, he does fulfill a role in the side and seems to be improving. Like I said, my gut feeling is that he might end up a better bowler than Haze when their careers are done, though obviously not at Cummins level.

vcs

He hasn't really been that in tests for about 18 months or so tbh. Even against India out here when they were bowling to substandard targets, none of the bowlers really let India score too freely for the most part. Was really attritional stuff, but I also wish he'd take more wickets up front.
Thought he was one of Australia's most threatening bowlers in that series, though I'm not sure whether his numbers reflect it. Probably took some tap in the 4th Test after Pujara had ground them down, but was quite good even on that slow MCG pitch. Vaguely remember Kohli was dropped in the 1st innings off Starc at some point.

OverratedSanity

Starc was Australia's worst bowler that series by a distance for me. Cummins was a champ, Lyon tried hard and kept things tight usually. Starc and Hazelwood were both massive letdowns.

vcs

Starc was Australia's worst bowler that series by a distance for me. Cummins was a champ, Lyon tried hard and kept things tight usually. Starc and Hazelwood were both massive letdowns.
Have to disagree with that. Starc was really threatening and looked like he was going to run through us in a hurry at Perth before Kohli/Pujara/Rahane stopped him. Bowled some fiery spells on that dead MCG pitch where nothing much was happening for anyone.

Cummins' 2nd innings 6-fer at MCG was a really flattering haul TBH, there were about 4 wickets caught down the legside.

vcs

The thing with Starc is people always remember when he bowled like a drain in England, but he rarely gets credit for incredible performances like SL in 2016, or when he did something special to win the match (getting Asad Shafiq with a snorter in that Brisbane D/N match).

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Cummins gets a fair few caught down leg I have noticed. Sometimes it's a touch fortunate, but sometimes he genuinely sets the batsman up by drawing them across and then firing one in at the ribs that gets gloved down leg

morgieb

The thing with Starc is people always remember when he bowled like a drain in England, but he rarely gets credit for incredible performances like SL in 2016, or when he did something special to win the match (getting Asad Shafiq with a snorter in that Brisbane D/N match).
I think part of the problem with that Sri Lanka series is that it's a bit of a sui generis regarding his career as a whole. The rest of the time he generally seemed to only excel against weaker batting lineups.

After that 2016 series (he also was bowling amazingly against NZ) I thought he was on his way to being the best quick in the world. But for the next three years he devolved into the bowler he was a few months earlier.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I still absolutely stand behind my belief that the even when Starc wasn't at his best, those calling to bin him entirely were wayyyyyyyyy off the mark.

I honestly don't believe people realise just how rapidly Australian fast bowling depth falls off a cliff after the international bowlers.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It just goes back to a point I have been rambling on about forever it seems like, the current generation of domestic pacers for the most part really aren't that flash

Legit wasn't even really thinking of you then tbh

Flem274*

123/5
He took 25 or so wickets in 3 matches in that tour where Australia were hilariously destroyed by Fatteh and lost 3-0.
im thinking of a different series. aus hosted SL and starc bowled a spell to the tail people on here raved about.

morgieb

im thinking of a different series. aus hosted SL and starc bowled a spell to the tail people on here raved about.
IIRC that was last year.

EDIT: No wait, that was 2012. Australia don't win that game without that spell though, so you can't say it's worthless.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow I genuinely forgot about that spell tbh, and I am a Starc fan.

Same game as that glorious Matthew Wade over from memory

Flem274*

123/5
oh totally, im in camp 'don't whine too much about tail wickets' here. i've been scarred by some jammy bastards over the years. i was just bemused at it being brought up as a great series because i forgot the 2016 tour.

at the time i thought the raving about that spell was premature too, especially since he didn't back it up.

it's kinda funny starc is so frustrating when he's a solid upgrade on brett lee, whose place was never in doubt.

vcs

That series had some crazy statistical dominance by Herath on one side and Starc on the other. Karunaratne was lucky not to have his career ended there, he was a complete bunny vs. Starc.

TheJediBrah

oh totally, im in camp 'don't whine too much about tail wickets' here. i've been scarred by some jammy bastards over the years. i was just bemused at it being brought up as a great series because i forgot the 2016 tour.

at the time i thought the raving about that spell was premature too, especially since he didn't back it up.

it's kinda funny starc is so frustrating when he's a solid upgrade on brett lee, whose place was never in doubt.
Not entirely accurate. But it should have been in doubt a lot more than it was.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The sensible amongst us were calling for Lee to be dropped for many a year though.

I do think Starc is a bit underrated as a test bowler though. He's very good but not quite at the ATG level. I can't imagine too many sides would turn him down if he was available.