• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank These 21st Century Pacers

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i.e. pacers who made their debut on or after 01.01.2001. The list below is in the chronological order of their debuts.

1. Shane Bond (NZ) - White Lightning 2.0
2. James Anderson (ENG) - The Record Breaker
3. Dale Steyn (SA) - Crazy Eyes, Big Heart
4. Mohammad Asif (PAK) - Liquid Wrists
5. Mitchell Johnson (AUS) - Wild Thing
6. Stuart Broad (ENG) - Baby Face
7. Ryan Harris (AUS) - Rampaging Ryno
8. Vernon Philander (SA) - Big Vern
9. Pat Cummins (AUS) - Anytime, Anywhere
10. Neil Wagner (NZ) - The Workhorse
11. Kagiso Rabada (SA) - A New Hope
12. Jaspreet Bumrah (IND) - The Next Big Thing

Please shortlist your 1-10 from these 12.

Apologies to Mitchell Starc, Trent Boult, Morne Morkel, Mohammed Shami, Jofra Archer, and Stuart Clark

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1. Steyn
2. Philander
3. Bond
4. Cummins
5. Harris
6. Bumrah
7. Anderson
8. Wagner
9. Asif
10. Johnson

Top 5 are okay to pick, but the others are more difficult.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dale Steyn (SA)
Pat Cummins (AUS)
Vernon Philander (SA)
Shane Bond (NZ)
Ryan Harris (AUS)
James Anderson (Eng)
Kagiso Rabada (SA)
Stuart Broad (ENG)
Mitchell Johnson (AUS)
Mohammad Asif (PAK)

While I love him, Wagner just misses out. As does Bumrah who needs to actually play at home before one can rate him.

Johnson is being rated on his career, not eight tests of it.

Asif lucky to be there but I really rated his bowling. Bond probably overrated but I daresay many will have him higher than me.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn
Cummings
Anderson
Bond
Philander
Bumrah
Wagner
Broad
Harris
Rabada

Selected quickly - possibly would change a couple with more thought.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i.e. the pacers who made their debut on or after 01.01.2001. The list below is in the chronological order of their debuts.

1. Shane Bond (NZ) - White Lightning 2.0
2. James Anderson (Eng) - The Record Breaker
3. Dale Steyn (SA) - Crazy Eyes, Big Heart
4. Mohammad Asif (PAK) - Liquid Wrists
5. Mitchell Johnson (AUS) - Wild Thing
6. Stuart Broad (ENG) - Baby Face
7. Ryan Harris (AUS) - Rampaging Rhino
8. Vernon Philander (SA) - Big Vern
9. Pat Cummins (AUS) - Anytime, Anywhere
10. Neil Wagner (NZ) - The Workhorse
11. Kagiso Rabada (SA) - A New Hope
12. Jaspreet Bumrah (IND) - The Next Big Thing

Please shortlist your 1-10 from these 12.

Apologies to Mitchell Starc, Trent Boult, Morne Morkel, Mohammed Shami, Jofra Archer, and Stuart Clark
1. Steyn
2. Cummins
3. Bumrah
4. Broad
5. Harris
6. Rabada
7. Asif
8. Anderson
9. Philander
10. Johnson

I'd have Stuart Clark ahead of half these guys though

1 and 2 have to be CumSteyn

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
1. Steyn
2. Rabada
3. Cummins
4. Bond
5. Bumrah
6. Anderson
7. Broad
8. Philander
9. Harris
10. Johnson

vcs

Bumrah's sample size is still too small to compare him with the others but in his short career he has already bowled India to Test wins in England, SA, Australia and WI (series wins in the last two). He can go on to have a great career if he manages to stay fit, fingers crossed.

trundler

Is the fact that I zoned out of the mid-10s for a bit making me gloss over some of these guys or did you guys forget how good Asif was. Better than Johnson and Wagner at least imo. Bumrah still hasn't played enough.

Daemon

Bumrah's sample size is still too small to compare him with the others but in his short career he has already bowled India to Test wins in England, SA, Australia and WI (series wins in the last two). He can go on to have a great career if he manages to stay fit, fingers crossed.
Take away Bangers and Zim (4 Tests) and Bond played the same number of Tests as Bumrah

flibbertyjibber

Steyn
Anderson
Cummins
Philander
Harris
Rabada
Johnson
Bond (would be higher but for injury)
Broad
Bumrah

Asif can do one the cheating ****.

Flem274*

123/5
because the era is so short and includes bowlers just starting and long retired im gonna be more forgiving of short careers and rate purely on what they sent down, especially since it helps two faves.

steyn
harris
bond
cummins
philander
wagner
rabada
bumrah
broad
johnson

johnson i have no idea how to rate. his short peak was #3 at worst on this list, his worst was #28i44934 on this list. top 4 was easy, the rest less so. broad's recent stuff tanked him for me (will probably produce a broad spell today now) and i put the two newer guys together on the list because eh idk.

asif misses out because short career plus dirty cheat and anderson is tim southee in more fortunate cricketing circumstances.

vcs

Take away Bangers and Zim (4 Tests) and Bond played the same number of Tests as Bumrah
His career is finished so it feels fair to evaluate him on the basis of what we have seen. Hopefully there's still a lot to come in Bumrah's case.

vcs

because the era is so short and includes bowlers just starting and long retired im gonna be more forgiving of short careers and rate purely on what they sent down, especially since it helps two faves.

steyn
harris
bond
cummins
philander
wagner
rabada
bumrah
broad
johnson

johnson i have no idea how to rate. his short peak was #3 at worst on this list, his worst was #28i44934 on this list. top 4 was easy, the rest less so. broad's recent stuff tanked him for me (will probably produce a broad spell today now) and i put the two newer guys together on the list because eh idk.

asif misses out because short career plus dirty cheat and anderson is tim southee in more fortunate cricketing circumstances.
This is probably rancid bait, but it's astonishing how people write off longevity. I mean, Bond played half his Tests on NZ greentops and averaged 9 in 2 Tests against a Zimbabwe team that even Irfan Pathan cleaned up against.

And this is coming from a guy who likes Bond much more than Anderson and Broad.