• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank These 21st Century Pacers

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There are guys who can bowl a different/ fuller length than the one that typically suits Australian conditions, but they all seem to be either injured or just a bit pedestrian
Yeah but you have a very clear first choice attack, all of whom excel in Aussie conditions but find it difficult to adapt to other conditions and/or other balls. So its a bit of a chicken and egg situation. The others don't get to play enough to make their case and these guys keep conditioning their games for their home conditions.

Flem274*

123/5
starc is that guy but he's a bit unreliable away from home. for a guy well suited to being a fast swing bowler he really does enjoy whanging it in on the aussie length a lot more.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Aussie wickets haven't been "roads", virtually every batting line up in the world has struggled on them. And Starc's Aus record is fine. Is more than fine, in fact (SR of 46). He's been mediocre in England and SA, which makes even less sense because one tends to think of him as someone who would enjoy swinging conditions more. And been terrible in India and UAE (which makes sense).
Very bizarre take. No, Starc's value is that he can make things happen when there's not much on offer for the bowlers. One of those guys, like Johnson, who can take the pitch out of the equation. But he's not accurate or consistent enough to be as big a threat in bowler-friendly conditions.

I get that you're saying this because he swings the ball but it's not the case. In, bowler-friendly conditions Broad/Anderson >> Starc. In batting-friendly conditions Starc >> Broad/Anderson.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
i.e. pacers who made their debut on or after 01.01.2001. The list below is in the chronological order of their debuts.

1. Shane Bond (NZ) - White Lightning 2.0
2. James Anderson (ENG) - The Record Breaker
3. Dale Steyn (SA) - Crazy Eyes, Big Heart
4. Mohammad Asif (PAK) - Liquid Wrists
5. Mitchell Johnson (AUS) - Wild Thing
6. Stuart Broad (ENG) - Baby Face
7. Ryan Harris (AUS) - Rampaging Ryno
8. Vernon Philander (SA) - Big Vern
9. Pat Cummins (AUS) - Anytime, Anywhere
10. Neil Wagner (NZ) - The Workhorse
11. Kagiso Rabada (SA) - A New Hope
12. Jaspreet Bumrah (IND) - The Next Big Thing

Please shortlist your 1-10 from these 12.

Apologies to Mitchell Starc, Trent Boult, Morne Morkel, Mohammed Shami, Jofra Archer, and Stuart Clark
Steyn
Bond
Asif
Rabada
Anderson
Johonson
Bumrah
Cummins
Philander

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
During the little time he played Asif bossed every batsman. Even Steyn couldn't do it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very bizarre take. No, Starc's value is that he can make things happen when there's not much on offer for the bowlers. One of those guys, like Johnson, who can take the pitch out of the equation. But he's not accurate or consistent enough to be as big a threat in bowler-friendly conditions.

I get that you're saying this because he swings the ball but it's not the case. In, bowler-friendly conditions Broad/Anderson >> Starc. In batting-friendly conditions Starc >> Broad/Anderson.
You saying "bizarre" for no reason is dumb and you should stop.

In swinging conditions, if I did not know his record, I would have expected him to average south of 26. Still expect Anderson to be better than him, yes, but not Starc to be mediocre and average 30+

TheJediBrah

You saying "bizarre" for no reason is dumb and you should stop.

In swinging conditions, if I did not know his record, I would have expected him to average south of 26. Still expect Anderson to be better than him, yes, but not Starc to be mediocre and average 30+
I said bizarre because it's more polite than saying "that's really dumb and obviously wrong". I was trying to be nice.

trundler

Jhye Richardson is going to be much better than any Australian bowler bar CumHaze. Him actually pitching it up and swinging it will improve the attack vastly.

Also, Starc tends to completely **** the bed and get a few lucky tailend wickets to make up for it in his figures.

trundler

Starc is a journeyman in a very strong Aussie attack. His ability to take the pitch out is almost a myth (barring last year) but the flip-side of being really innocuous is real. A destitute man's Broad.

TheJediBrah

You're trying to rile things up, as per PEWS' signature, as is your mo.
being polite to try and not hurt your feelings is trying to "rile things up"? Interesting take

Also, Starc tends to completely **** the bed and get a few lucky tailend wickets to make up for it in his figures.
This is also very true. He's possibly the best in the world at getting tailenders out, but it (statistically) papers over how ordinary he is a lot of the time against proper batsman, which is ~90% of the time you are bowling.

Quite often you see Hazlewood and Cummins take 2 or 3 each of the top-order, do most of the damage and Starc come in sweep the tail and finish with a lazy 4-for.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
this debate really depends on whether last season was a purple patch or his new normal.

he spent a long time being very jammy at test level but he's turned it on now, bowling good areas at pace and moving the kookaburra when it wants to go.

if he returns to being the pressure release valve this summer then bin him and let him become the goat odi fast bowler.

vcs

I agree he gets many tailenders out but I realy do not think it is lucky as such. Getting tailenders out is as much a required skillset in today's game for bowlers as any other part of it, is.
Yep. He bowls a mean bouncer-yorker combo. England in recent years have been hard to beat at home on many occasions mainly because of "troll runs" from Woakes/Curran/Broad etc. It's very valuable to be able to get tailenders out cheaply.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
It's not a complete list- plenty of other bowlers deserve consideration.

As a general point though, on this site, the default is generally discussing test only unless otherwise stated. All of the guys you mentioned end up better when considering both formats, but in test only, nobody would rank them near the top of this list.
Top of this list? They ain't even on this list. And when talking cricket, we gotta take into account everything but even if its just test, my point stands. How's Bumrah getting in off the back of 14 tests but Morkel aint after a 10+ year career in tests?

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
It's fair to want others to be included. Made this thread in the spur of the moment and it reflects a certain list of bowlers I wanted to see discussed.
If this list doesn't mean that the guys on it are the best of the 21st century, then fair enough boyo!

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Starc is the third best quick in his own team. He's a god in ODIs, to say he's just as good in Tests would mean he's basically one of the best Test bowlers ever.

Can't take you seriously at the moment tbh.
You mean my comparison between Starc and Johnson...who said one of the best ever? Johnson is so far off being one of the best test bowlers ever it aint even funny.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe its just left arm swingers who are skilled at taking out tailenders. Remember someone criticising Wasim for that a few years ago.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Top of this list? They ain't even on this list. And when talking cricket, we gotta take into account everything but even if its just test, my point stands. How's Bumrah getting in off the back of 14 tests but Morkel aint after a 10+ year career in tests?
I think you are getting a bit too serious about a list posted by a single person. I am not sure it is even who he considers the best bowlers, just the most noteworthy ones. Morkel had a better career than many on this list, but there wasnt much noteworthy about his career. Consider the guys with similar averages- broad and anderson (500 club) and johnston (one of the most notewothy peaks). What exactly is there to discuss about morkel? He is a very good bowler that history will forget. Nobody is interested in diacussing Craig Mathews (pretty sure the vast majority of CW people dont remember him, despite the ridiculous repository of knowledge thatthis place is). But most of the regulars on this site remember his contemporary brett shultz, despite him being comparatively valueless in terms of career.

Love me some morkel btw, certainly not slagging on him. if not for some horrific mismanagement in his early career, I reckon he would have ended up in the andy roberts/croft level of bowlers, just below atg. but he didnt.