• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, duh. They have Bradman who'd himself make any ATG side stronger than the others. On top of that, they also have Sobers, Gilchrist and Marshall

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fast bowling decidedly better in the other side. I would actually play McGrath and Broad with Kallis as back up and play both Warne and Murali to be honest.
Agreed. This attack would at least give them a marked advantage on spinning pitches (or if the others can keep them in the game long enough for the pitch to start wearing out)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You gotta keep Bradman out of these ATG XI match ups. He is like the cheat code. You remove Bradman and those teams become a lot closer and it actually becomes an interesting debate.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Murali 9 for his smiley slogging. The other two it doesn't really matter. Probably Walsh at 10, his first class average was in double figures.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Players who played more tests than Don vs those who played as many or less tests. Would be a great contest.

Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Graeme Pollock
George Headley
Clyde Walcott
Aubrey Faulkner
Allan Davidson
Bill O'Reilly
George Lohmann
Sydney Barnes

vs

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
10000/500 XI

Cook
Gavaskar
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Border*
Sangakkara+
Warne
Anderson
McGrath
Walsh

The Rest
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman*
Smith
Chappell
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Wasim
Marshall
Steyn
O’Reilly

Throw in a third team with players eligible for both sides: (actually only Ponting from the 1st group)

Hutton
Trumper
Ponting
Viv*?
Hammond
Flower+
Imran*?
Hadlee
Laker
Barnes
Ambrose

Flem274*

123/5
generational sides, sorted by debut

00s (debut 90s or earlier)

hayden
langer
ponting (c)
tendulkar
lara
kallis
gilchrist (wk)
pollock
warne
murali
mcgrath

shoiab so close to making this side but didn't want kallis and gilchrist running out of partners in 5 minutes flat so went with pollock.

10s (00s debut or later)

smith (c)
sehwag
sangakkara
smith
younis
kane
abdv (wk)
cummins
herath
harris
steyn

for the 10s i ummed and ahhed a lot over the spin bowling duties and whether to go with another batsman or sacrifice batting for the allrounder. ****in kallis is h4x for the first side.

went with the batsman and it was close but ultimately kohli's failings to the moving ball are fresh in my mind, clarke/kp/root more players of great innings than great players (to date in root's case) and im sure there's a few who have slipped my mind.

big daddy kane doing the impossible in front of my eyes so often is obviously a major influence. i need to check if brisbane 2015 is on youtube.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni played it very similarly.

For me Steve Waugh was best on the leg side. Was wristy in a stodgy inelegant way.
I'm not saying it was his best shot or the the shot that scored him the most runs. But whenever I see it I think of him.