• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you support?

Who do you support?

• Total voters

Victor Ian

International Coach
After a recent post, it made me wonder what are the actual breakdowns on support on CricketWeb. So vote for the team you support. If you follow multiple teams, pick the one that you support when they play head to head, or failing that, the one you would choose if someone put a gun to your head and said "pick one!"

Victor Ian

International Coach
How in hell has India slumped down to third and how has Australia weaseled their way up to first? (I listed teams in ICC test championship order which was the first list that came up on the wiki test cricket page)

I know I don't follow these things studiously, like others, but my gut feel was that India were comfortably ahead of the pack and Australia were around 5th last time I checked.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You didn't make the poll multi-choice, and then, you didn't include Hong Kong. What is ***** meant to do?

Victor Ian

International Coach
You didn't make the poll multi-choice, and then, you didn't include Hong Kong. What is ***** meant to do?
I was being cruel and making him choose. I was only talking about test cricket, which is the default, if you have not mentioned a specific format.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I was meant to make this viewable for who voted for what. Should I go back and edit before my time runs out, or is it better this way?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's surely because no one would be stupid enough to pay them to perform poorly?

Victor Ian

International Coach
That only lists players actually banned. Where is Chris Cairns, and Shane and Mark?

As this thread does not require much chat, can we list all players who have had dirt slung at them for fixing. Are there any English players at all?

Athlai

Not Terrible
That only lists players actually banned. Where is Chris Cairns, and Shane and Mark?

As this thread does not require much chat, can we list all players who have had dirt slung at them for fixing. Are there any English players at all?
Lou Vincent was a fixer

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That is quite interesting. Australia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, South Africa... I can't think of an English player fingered for match fixing. What about the other countries (excluding Afghanistan and Ireland because - give them time).

edit: New Zealand

edit2: haha - Afghanistan quickly getting the hang of it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricketers_banned_for_corruption
Mervyn Westfield, mediocre Essex seamer. Pretty sure he got a holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure for it too.

He is mentioned in the link, actually.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure that Warne and Waugh were guilty of taking money for pitch information, which although it is corrupt is pretty minor. At the time naivety was their defense. They couldn't conceive of why anyone would pay them to gossip about the state of a pitch.

I'm pretty sure that the English and Australian players are well enough compensated and so indoctrinated with anti corruption propaganda that it's unlikely any of them would bother. They stand to lose so much more income if they get caught than the fixing would give them. Having said that, greed is stupid and stranger things have happened.

I could have seen it happening in the 80s conditions though. Apparently players were paid as little as $2000 to tour India in the 80s (according to Steve Waugh's autobiography). No wonder Lillee and Chappell dodged it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah. I am meaning on the International scene. Also, it is not required for it to be proven. Using normal "no you did" rules, we just need there to be dirt so that we can discredit England.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Pretty sure that Warne and Waugh were guilty of taking money for pitch information, which although it is corrupt is pretty minor. At the time naivety was their defense. They couldn't conceive of why anyone would pay them to gossip about the state of a pitch.

I'm pretty sure that the English and Australian players are well enough compensated and so indoctrinated with anti corruption propaganda that it's unlikely any of them would bother. They stand to lose so much more income if they get caught than the fixing would give them. Having said that, greed is stupid and stranger things have happened.

I could have seen it happening in the 80s conditions though. Apparently players were paid as little as $2000 to tour India in the 80s (according to Steve Waugh's autobiography). No wonder Lillee and Chappell dodged it.
Agreed, in that they are not on the list, but see my last post setting the standard at dirt. Shane and Mark were the pioneers in shady match practices. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I support England because I'm English. The fact that no Englishman aside from Don Revie has attempted to fix a sporting event has no bearing on it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I support England because I'm English. The fact that no Englishman aside from Don Revie has attempted to fix a sporting event has no bearing on it.
I fully understand. I am Australian and on the whole, our team is a pack of ****s. But I still support them because, somehow, nationality trumps reasons.

Victor Ian

International Coach
That list is great news for *****. Hong Kong is in the club of corruption, the only nation in there to never play with the big boys.

England and Sri Lanka (chucking is not match fixing) so far coming up as choirboys.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Agreed, in that they are not on the list, but see my last post setting the standard at dirt. Shane and Mark were the pioneers in shady match practices. Let's not pretend otherwise.
there is no shane or mark who holds any sway as to how i conduct my matches thank you very much