• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Word is that Hetmeyer, Paul and Bravo have opted out. Fair enough, no judgement on my part. the squad is being officially announced today. 15 members of the official squad plus 10 reserves to help with the warm up, net bowlers etc.

Beamer

Official squad has been announced. As leaked previously, Bravo, Paul and Hety opted out. Squad is:

Jason Holder (Captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chemar Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach

Reserves:

Sunil Ambris, Joshua Da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Keon Harding, Kyle Mayers, Preston McSween, Marquino Mindley, Shane Moseley, Anderson Phillip, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican

In summary excellent bowling options, atrocious batting. We'll need to scrape together runs somehow to give us a chance. As a result, I'd play the following XI.

Braithwaite
Campbell
Hope
Brooks
Chase
Dowrich
Holder (jason)
Cornwall
Roach
Joseph
Holder (Chemar)

Beamer

Why wouldn’t bravo tour?

His career needs a bit of restart
He's known as one of the more sensitive and emotional Windies players, Jason Holder has referenced this when talking about managing personalities on the Windies squad. I have no problem with people turning this tour down, it is absolutely their call. The board says it won't count against them, but realistically if Blackwood, Bonner or any of the others plays well they will be ahead in the queue.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointed not to see Hety, KMA, and Bravo in there, but it is what it is.

My lineup:

1. Campbell
2. Kraigg
3. Brooks
4. Hope
5. Chase
6. Dowrich
(This is like a Bajan team so far :lol: )
7. Holder
8. Jimbo
9. Alzarri
10. Roach
11. Chemar

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm hoping Blackwood gets a game, I've always thought there was a decent player in there
I'm in the same boat as you are.
He has potential, but he sometimes (most times) goes mad.

His last innings in the FC competition was double century, if I'm not mistaken.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I was in Barbados when he played 2 great knocks to help you beat us, he was a joy to watch. I think he does try to play sensibly but has problems with premeditating shots and against decent bowlers you won't hang around too long doing that

JOJOXI

Disappointed not to see Hety, KMA, and Bravo in there, but it is what it is.

My lineup:

1. Campbell
2. Kraigg
3. Brooks
4. Hope
5. Chase
6. Dowrich
(This is like a Bajan team so far :lol: )
7. Holder
8. Jimbo
9. Alzarri
10. Roach
11. Chemar
I know the selections at times have been baffling but have some sympathy for the selectors here. Paul, Hetmyer and Bravo decline to tour and all I see are people slamming the board for not selecting them (not you but even just looking underneath the squads announcements on social media.) The media statement surrounding Shannon Gabriel suggests he'll be included at some point so think the board need to be cut some slack there too in the short-term given he is just returning from ankle surgery.

On to the XI - I wouldn't mind that XI although with Rakheem Cornwall not proving himself with the bat in Test Cricket yet I suspect Chemar Holder unless the pitches are really flat might sit out for Bonner to slot in at 4 or 5 or they'll replace Holder with Reifer to try and strengthen the batting. Holder at 7 and Cornwall at 8 should be enough but I think they might try and stiffen the batting further. Perhaps Reifer is more likely than Bonner as then you keep 5 bowling options but have genuine batting options down to 9 and I think Roach is a very capable number 10 on his day. Also Reifer's inclusion in some of the 'A' sides, him touring the last time they went to England if I'm not mistaken and his left-arm angle will probably be factors used to justify his selection - even though I think his selection would really be more a case of fears over the batting holding up.

JOJOXI

I know the selections at times have been baffling but have some sympathy for the selectors here. Paul, Hetmyer and Bravo decline to tour and all I see are people slamming the board for not selecting them (not you but even just looking underneath the squads announcements on social media.) The media statement surrounding Shannon Gabriel suggests he'll be included at some point so think the board need to be cut some slack there too in the short-term given he is just returning from ankle surgery.

On to the XI - I wouldn't mind that XI although with Rakheem Cornwall not proving himself with the bat in Test Cricket yet I suspect Chemar Holder unless the pitches are really flat might sit out for Bonner to slot in at 4 or 5 or they'll replace Holder with Reifer to try and strengthen the batting. Holder at 7 and Cornwall at 8 should be enough but I think they might try and stiffen the batting further. Perhaps Reifer is more likely than Bonner as then you keep 5 bowling options but have genuine batting options down to 9 and I think Roach is a very capable number 10 on his day. Also Reifer's inclusion in some of the 'A' sides, him touring the last time they went to England if I'm not mistaken and his left-arm angle will probably be factors used to justify his selection - even though I think his selection would really be more a case of fears over the batting holding up.
Actually scrap that my mind completely glazed over Blackwood - he'll be the batsman instead of Bonner - arguably a more natural fit in the middle order too could have him at 5 or 6 - ensure Hope's 4 position remains untouched, probably allow Chase to bat at 5 and then Blackwood.

Even though just as I type that maybe Hope given his form might be better off at 5, Blackwood's dismissals seem to be as much a cause of his own attacking intent then anything else and he has shown in the West Indies and in England he can get free-flowing runs in difficult situations. Even an hour of Blackwood ar 4 might lift some of the pressure off Hope and if they bat together Hope doesn't have to worry about ticking the score over straight away if they bowl well to him as Blackwood's intent will get him runs whilst he's batting. At least if its Blackwood instead of Holder that is one fewer Bajan in the Test XI :laugh:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The WI batting looks very weak especially without Bravo (although he failed in his only England tour). I'm expecting England to win fairly easily.

Beamer

The WI batting looks very weak especially without Bravo (although he failed in his only England tour). I'm expecting England to win fairly easily.
I expect our bowling will cause England huge problems but as you say, our batting is so bad it probably wont matter.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Could you get away with 4 quicks + Chase, which would have the effect of lengthening the batting with Holder at 8?

Campbell
Brathwaite
Brooks
Hope
Chase
Dowrich
Blackwood
Holder
Joseph
Roach
Holder

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My summer 2020 prediction made before Christmas of England being spun to defeat by a fat bloke at the Oval isn't happening.

Beamer

Could you get away with 4 quicks + Chase, which would have the effect of lengthening the batting with Holder at 8?

Campbell
Brathwaite
Brooks
Hope
Chase
Dowrich
Blackwood
Holder
Joseph
Roach
Holder
If it's is going to be very seamer friendly I'd say that's an option, but Rakheem the dream is such a good bowler, both defensive and attacking and he can bat as well as most of them tbh. I'd always have him in there, particularly as there is turn at both old Trafford and the Ageas bowl.

JOJOXI

Agreed on Cornwall, I have him down as a near certainty and with the pretty good weather in the UK if things remain the same a possibility that even if pitch is green to start with, to take into account no saliva on ball etc and problems of ball management, it might turn substantially later on. I also thought before the England tour of West Indies that I hoped the rumours of spin friendly, flattish wickets were not true as I thought if West Indies were going to have any chance of winning it was going to be due to their seam bowling, I wonder having seen West Indies success without a spinner whether England will be concious of producing pitches that turn and are reasonably flat - if so Cornwall and Chase could get through quite a few overs themselves.