• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sodhi's falling apart in FC cricket this season. Was averaging 5 or 6 wickets a game in past years, and now he can't buy one. Has he more or less given up on tests and made done a bit of remodelling to make his game more T20 focussed?
I was talking to one of his mates the other day, and categorically no.

Flem274*

123/5
sears, like rachin, would benefit from nzc just putting him in the A team to prevent any domestic shenanigans.

i rewatched the tickner 5fer. geez he's a dick, i love him. between him, jamieson and a few others im not sure where gen z are going to be winning much desired spirit of cricket awards.

edit - come on sears you can do better than that, you know you're thinking about joining the tosspottery. commit.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Sears has bowled 3rd change in both innings.
Sears didn't bowl until after lunch day 1. Someone else posted that Bennett was in the squad announced the day before, but is not in the playing 11, so perhaps late injury / illness and Sears had to rush to get down to the ground?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oof, that Worker dismissal. Late inswing at what looks suspiciously like high-140's pace. Pass the shower gel.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah Ben Sears looks seriously quick whenever I see him bowl. What’s going on down in Wellington, they’re producing talented cricketers all of a sudden

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Chapman in a serious run of form across both List A and FC:
10, 110*, 114, 1, 84*, 52, 24, 131*

(those include two hundreds in two formats v India A)

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wish Chapman would do something in an ODI/T20 for New Zealand (I don't believe he'll be a test player).

Also see this young Cantabrian bowler doing quite well, 8-fer this game, named Matt Henry. Wonder if he has potential.

nzfan

Plenty of good cricket news this week. After the BCs win now firebirds win vs CD is icing on the cake.

That was a stacked CD batting line up but not so much in the bowling. Missing Wheeler, Rance, Ajaz from the line up. On this deck they would have been handful. Firebirds missed Bennett too due to injury. He would have been unplayable on this surface. Newton is out for the season as well.

Wish Young scored some runs still. He is required for Black Caps. There is bound to be lack of form in the middle order and CDG won't be able to do it in Bangladesh unless he bats no.8 I can't see him fitting into the side.

On that note Ravindra this year has scored 313 runs off 4 games (from memory he missed one game due to injury) @ 53 average. This is a stellar effort as an opener and having to open on pretty much outfield looking deck every time. I hope he had converted couple of 70s to hundies but he's not disappointed. Jimmy and Bracewell have also chipped in quite consistently this half of the season.

Sears has to step up and do well. Hopefully he'll stay injury free.

Otago winning against Canterbury, Rae and Duffy doing what they do best. Nathan Smith has been among runs consistently this summer, 300 runs @ 50 average. Strangely enough he's not picked a wicket in the plunkett shield this season yet.

Santner picks up two ducks in one game and Ish has gone for 89 runs off 16 overs.

nzfan

Kyle Jamieson coming along nicely, does that mean end of Jimmy Neesham? Similarly Blundell now looking the part at the top of the inning the door is pretty much shut for Raval?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really felt like this second half of the FC season would never arrive.

Late season runfest + spinners to dominate like usual? Though aside from Sodhi, the usual late season bag-takers are absent for various reasons.
Turns out the correct answer was NO except a few for L Delport.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Kyle Jamieson coming along nicely, does that mean end of Jimmy Neesham? Similarly Blundell now looking the part at the top of the inning the door is pretty much shut for Raval?
Assume you're talking tests - tough road for Jimmy to force his way into the side, but not impossible once CDG and maybe Watling are gone - could potentially have 6: Neesham , 7: Cleaver/Blundell, 8: Jamieson, in a couple of years. If he's dominating FC with bat and contributing well with ball, it could happen.

Raval is done.

nzfan

Assume you're talking tests - tough road for Jimmy to force his way into the side, but not impossible once CDG and maybe Watling are gone - could potentially have 6: Neesham , 7: Cleaver/Blundell, 8: Jamieson, in a couple of years. If he's dominating FC with bat and contributing well with ball, it could happen.

Raval is done.
Yeah the red ball... Jimmy's bowling has come along nicely in all formats now. He's also among runs but the timing ain't great. Kyle and CDG are not going to be moving anytime soon. I think Blundell will not budge from the opening slot for couple of years at least.

vandem

International 12th Man
Yeah the red ball... Jimmy's bowling has come along nicely in all formats now. He's also among runs but the timing ain't great. Kyle and CDG are not going to be moving anytime soon. I think Blundell will not budge from the opening slot for couple of years at least.
Nathan Smith may be reaching his prime just as CdG is ready to depart the test side batting all-rounder slot. Jamieson perhaps long term bowling all-rounder.

nzfan

Yes climate graphs are all pointing towards spin being in the game, so it can't really be put down to that.

I think it's clear what aspects of a bowling attack Wellington are currently potent in, but there are no more home games for them now.

Yeah 3 tough games coming up for firebirds... just lost their top two seamers. Not sure if they are going to be making back to the team for the rest of the summer with Bennett having Aussie tour lined up. All away games against CD, ND and Auckland. All the sides are tough to beat at their home turf. Batting is heavily reliant on Conway, Ravindra, Bracewell and Neesham but Neesham will be away for the Aussie tour as well I suppose? Aussie one day starts on the 13th. The next Plunkett Shield for Firebirds is on the 10th and the last on the 26th march. Need to find some batters quickly and while at it likely need some bowlers as well.

The ND A vs Wellington A game going on at the moment. No outstanding inning yet from the Wellington boys.

https://scoring.nzc.nz/#m9b81befb-22ae-42c5-8cc4-c90b7e4b2f09

Luke Georgeson scoring some runs and Chander Ravi with 60+

Where's Rakitha Weerasundara? This would have been the best time for him to get into the team.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Weerasundara's club cricket results have really slumped.

It's bizarre that Younghusband hasn't bowled a ball in that ND A game yet. A big onus on Ravindra's bowling prowess is going to be on the cards, and we'll be seeing more time at the bowling crease for the domestic U19 tourney's high wicket-taker from 2009, Michael Bracewell.

Flem274*

123/5
wellington should be brave and give sears the new ball in bennetts absence. domestic attacks are getting spicier by the year (compare the 140+ now to 2010) and you might not have the shiny new toy for long before new zealand A and then the black caps claim him.

southee, boult and wagner are all north of 30. the next tier could all be test regulars very quickly.