• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

googlyeyes

Banned
Is umesh a case of being suited only to sg ball bowling? guy doesn't seem as threatening or impressive away from home with the kookaburra especially and when there's help he tends to spray it around even more.
Umesh does well on wickets with variable bounce since he bowls wicket to wicket to get batsmen dismissed. He'll be toothless if the bounce is true since he gets most of his wickets through LBWs or by hitting the wicket.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
The amazing part of that sentence is you could have moved the words will and give around, and it'd still make sense.

I digress..there's no spot for him. He won't open, and every other spot is taken. I imagine the Blundell opening spot will be up for grabs again in the next 12-18 months, and I'd hate to see him shoehorned in there like so many in the past. #4 when Ross is gone, and anywhere from #3 to #6 (Blundell move down if BJ was injured/retires) if needed.
Blundell is very gutsy and will put up a serious performance at the top of the inning no doubt but he's not an opener. He could prove me wrong but if things don't go his way in this series there's no doubt Young will slot in as an opener.

2 years is a very long time in international cricket. I hope it doesn't take that long for Young to come in. He's got pretty tight technique and patience to bat at the top of the order. I expect him to come into the squad shortly.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's with the extra agression in this second innings.

This is a solid platform for a ODI score.

vandem

International 12th Man
Two possible explanations for this, I think.

1. They actually want to send NZ back in today....
They may be wanting to give Yadav and Saini another head-to-head chance to seal the backup seamer spot. Perhaps a 5 over spell each. Then perhaps a short red ball spell for Jadeja, and perhaps Vihari? Useful pre-test practice.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Blundell is very gutsy and will put up a serious performance at the top of the inning no doubt but he's not an opener. He could prove me wrong but if things don't go his way in this series there's no doubt Young will slot in as an opener.
Yes I think you're right. I can already see one of those classic situations brewing here, where a Central Districts batsman just isn't very talkative or assertive with people, they play him out of position, then he harbours a slightly miffed and resentful 'it was those city slickers, they done me wrong!' get-out-of-jail-free card for the rest of his life.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pant won't be in the team though, will he? Saha is the incumbent.
When Saha came in the rationale was that they'd need a better gloveman at home given the amount of spin that might be bowled. Pant was "dropped" despite sporting a Test batting average of 44 and having hit a ton in Australia three Tests earlier.

I think Pant might still be away incumbent, and they did give him the gloves and bat him up the order in this game, which does suggest they're at least considering that.

vcs

Saha did a great job with the gloves at home though (can't remember if his batting was required at any point) while Pant's struggled with form and confidence in other formats. Should stick with Saha for now. Pant's obviously capable of more with the bat but he's just as likely to hole out for 6(5) with the team in trouble.

Daemon

When Saha came in the rationale was that they'd need a better gloveman at home given the amount of spin that might be bowled. Pant was "dropped" despite sporting a Test batting average of 44 and having hit a ton in Australia three Tests earlier.

I think Pant might still be away incumbent, and they did give him the gloves and bat him up the order in this game, which does suggest they're at least considering that.
I think Pant’s form in all formats was the primary reason for dropping him, the better gloveman reasoning just gave them that much more ammo.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I guess all the seriousness of the warm up game is done and dusted. Cooper bowling some under 13 leg spin and off spin atm. If you're Pant and score 25 off him, with what confidence can you go in to the test match if playing?

Last edited: