• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly New Zealand could have been 5/300 by now if they hadn't thrown their wickets away. It was an insipid batting performance, particularly from the top order who largely gave their wickets away. CDG's run out the worst of the lot but so much laziness all round.

thierry henry

International Coach
Tbh if you bat like NZ have today, then just about anything is a bowler's wicket

Well yeah but the bloke has a broken thumb. Beyond anything else it's not like he's going to score any runs.
No I mean the ‘stumping’ off the middle of the bat. I understand why, just seems weird.

thierry henry

International Coach
Is that really a wicket for Lyon. What law is it which suggests that is a stumping?
I think basically if you’re not trying to run, it’s a stumping. Personally it seems cleaner to me to say it’s a run out if it hits the bat or batsman

Mike5181

International Captain
after deriding defensive batting as inferior on a deck with variable bounce this morning mark waugh is whining that a #10 isn't playing the right attacking shots.

spud commentator. at least he's stopped sooking the pitch is flat.
O'Keeffe laughing like an idiot at everything is a close second for worst commentator.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It is so perfect that on the day TJB gets released from CricketWeb prison Lyon takes another quality 5-for

Move over Marnus, this is the best timing of the Australian cricket summer

sunilz

International Regular
So NZ couldn't save follow-on in each of the 3 test . When did it occur last time in a series of atleast 3 tests not involving BAN and ZIM ?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't see why not. The law makes no reference to the batsman having hit it or not and he wasn't attempting a run.
You dont have to be attempting a run to be run out. An example is a when the non striker is just out of his crease.

I totally get what you are saying though, I just find it curious.

Spark

Global Moderator
You dont have to be attempting a run to be run out. An example is a when the non striker is just out of his crease.

I totally get what you are saying though, I just find it curious.
Yeah you do:

39.1 Out Stumped

39.1.1 The striker is out Stumped, except as in 39.3, if

a ball which is delivered is not called No ball

and he/she is out of his/her ground, other than as in 39.3.1

and he/she has not attempted a run when his/her wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another fielder. Note, however Laws 25.6.2 and 25.6.5 (Dismissal and conduct of a batsman and his/her runner) and 27.3 (Position of wicket-keeper).

39.1.2 The striker is out Stumped if all the conditions of 39.1.1 are satisfied, even though a decision of Run out would be justified.
Basically stumped > run out if both apply. In the same way that bowled > caught/lbw.

EDIT: The non-striker example doesn't work - the point of backing up is that you are attempting a run and trying to steal a few extra metres early.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I've seen Javed Miandad run out Jeff Crowe from second slip while he was being dozey during and LBW appeal, should that have been a stumping?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
So NZ couldn't save follow-on in each of the 3 test . When did it occur last time in a series of atleast 3 tests not involving BAN and ZIM ?
In terms of a 200 plus run lead in 3 consecutive Tests in a series, I can't think of another time Australia has done this in a series off the top of my head.

Even against as bad a side as the West Indies in 00/01, Australia only managed it twice in a 5 Test series.

Actually, just found middle 3 Tests of 02/03 Ashes when Australia did it.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Today certainly. Given the platform they were given by the openers they should have been getting 300 at least.
Yep. Performances like this just make me further convinced that if NZ had toured Oz last summer against a weakened lineup they still would've lost.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah you do:

Basically stumped > run out if both apply. In the same way that bowled > caught/lbw.

EDIT: The non-striker example doesn't work - the point of backing up is that you are attempting a run and trying to steal a few extra metres early.
Thanks for showing the ruling. So if Henry took an additional step forward after hitting the ball and then went back, hed be runout since he was attempting a run.