• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia 2019

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I can only think those top-end tours weren't making enough money for them to continue being a thing. Shame really, Aus cricket needs more non-stadium venues.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yeah, I think the lack of crowds and revenue was given as a reason for their abandonment.

Surely there would be more scope now, especially as Fox would love to have that content.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus in India would be a losing streak of 7 at most I think. 2008 had a few draws in it.

SL's last draw in Aus was this: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...nka-2nd-test-sri-lanka-tour-of-australia-2004 which I have zero recollection of or indeed realisation of existence. Actually looks like a fairly competitve game, albeit with Aus having the edge throughout, and a tense finish.
Isn't this the match where Langer tried to knock the bails off inconspicously while walking by and tried to claim a hit-wicket?

howardj

International Coach
Didn't Tim Paine's declaration just smack of a lack of feel for the game

If the series was up for grabs, then fair enough

But far more glory would have been brought to Australian cricket had we had the world record broken by an Australian bastman, and potentially retained for a very long time to come....than white-washing a series against a club-standard opposition, or picking up some extra points in a Test championship that not many will remember.

As though we wouldn't have bowled Pakistan out if Warner had been given an extra hour

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I think the lack of crowds and revenue was given as a reason for their abandonment.

Surely there would be more scope now, especially as Fox would love to have that content.
I do suppose it clashing with the football seasons would mean that Fox has less need for it than it does over the summer, but yeah I think they might be more willing to have it than 9 ever was.

the big bambino

International Captain
@howardj.

Maybe you can criticise the timing. Perhaps delay it for the last session after you grind them then kill them with hoop. But I like the priorities. I'd always like to see the team and victory as the main goal over personal ambition. Even when they get the decision a little wrong. So hopefully you will always get occasions when a Lawry will declare on a Marsh or a Paine will rank beating an over matched touring team (whether or not championship points are available) over the pursuit of the individual world record batting score.

howardj

International Coach
I think the team comes first argument is a bit cliched and hairy chested

As though the two are mutually exclusive

the big bambino

International Captain
Hardly, its the the rationale of the entire game. Acquiring personal records and pursuing victory aren't exclusive but they can clash and then the former should rightly give way. I mean you haven't heard Warner bitch about missing the opportunity so I don't see why anyone else should

howardj

International Coach
Hardly, its the the rationale of the entire game. Acquiring personal records and pursuing victory aren't exclusive but they can clash and then the former should rightly give way. I mean you haven't heard Warner bitch about missing the opportunity so I don't see why anyone else should
Of course he wouldn't bitch about it publicly

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a good point. Warner said he was part of the decision making process to declare when they did. If it's not concerning him, it really does become a moot point - unless some people think their own nationalistic jollies are more important than the guy who actually was out there for hours on end.

So no, it didn't smack of a lack of feel of the game. When you sign up for a team sport, you unconsciously agree that in situations like that, the team will general default to the option that considers their collective goals above all else. Can't say I buy the glory line either. Has it helped the West Indies? Didn't seem to do much for them when their board imploded and their stars preferred to play T20 leagues.

And whilst the series wasn't going to be lost, 2-0 gets more Test Championship points than 1-0 does. I agree the championship is a white elephant, but it's what they're playing for - and all teams want to be there when the final is played.

howardj

International Coach
And we don't have to slavishly follow what he thinks

Otherwise, shut the forum down if its purpose is not to give your own view

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course he wouldn't bitch about it publicly
Haha, this is David Warner, remember? Of course he would. He's not smart enough to squash a personal opinion for sake of doing what's right.

No one's denying your right to an opinion. You have absolute right. We're just saying we disagree.

howardj

International Coach
This is a good point. Warner said he was part of the decision making process to declare when they did. If it's not concerning him, it really does become a moot point - unless some people think their own nationalistic jollies are more important than the guy who actually was out there for hours on end.

What do you think he's going to say..."no I want to go for the record"

If so, one has no idea about how cricketers act in a group environment.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

That was very Shakespearian of you, that last sentence.

No, he wouldn't say that. Although he as much as anyone is capable of it. He's done dumber things.

But just be aware that even if he wouldn't say it, that doesn't mean you're right that he was thinking it. Equally he could have been saying it with genuine honesty.

the big bambino

International Captain

Its a strange argument when you are relying on what someone hasn't said to justify it. Doesn't matter anyway. His ambitions are secondary to the team's goals. He'd look a dick if he did complain and he'd know it. He's got alot of making up to do. There's no way he's going to make a statement placing his ambition above a captain's declaration. Which means he accepts it despite what his private feelings may be.

No one reckons anyone has to slavishly follow what others think. When there are differing povs other people reading them will just come down on one side or the other.