• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Spark

Global Moderator
I think England will have to decide on Root's future as captain by the end of this series. Problem is, there are no obvious candidates to take over. I wouldn't want to give it to Stokes for fear of overburdening him. Buttler/Bairstow haven't secured their spots. Rory Burns looks like the only available option.
I know England's track record with gun allrounders being made captain is abysmal, but I still don't see how you avoid giving it to Stokes even just to try. No one else in the side looks like an actual leader of men, including the person who currently has the job. It's a sporting cliche but I do suspect that a lack of firm, decisive leadership is a big part of what makes this England side so frustratingly inconsistent. You just don't get days like Days 3 and 4 here or Day 1 at OT a few months back with it when the opportunity is so clearly there to decisively turn the game/series in your favour.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know England's track record with gun allrounders being made captain is abysmal, but I still don't see how you avoid giving it to Stokes even just to try. No one else in the side looks like an actual leader of men, including the person who currently has the job. It's a sporting cliche but I do suspect that a lack of firm, decisive leadership is a big part of what makes this England side so frustratingly inconsistent. You just don't get days like Days 3 and 4 here or Day 1 at OT a few months back with it when the opportunity is so clearly there to decisively turn the game/series in your favour.

Stokes totally looks like he is another one like Kohli. He will make more than his share of frustrating "tear your hair off" mistakes but he captaincy should get the best out of him and also help him get the best out of many of the players. And who knows, he will mature and age well into the role just like Kohli.

Last edited:

MagicMonkeyNuts

Cricket Spectator
If Root gets the chop, Stokes is a viable captain, at least in the short-term. Let's see how it effects his form - captaincy as well as being leading all-rounder didn't work for Ian Botham or Flintoff, true. But it did for Imran Khan and Kapil Dev, so let's give him a shot.

Burns is one for the future, and he still needs to cement his place in the side.

The other option is Jos Butler. Again, he hasn't proved himself at Test cricket, his record is poor for somebody of his talent, but he has the most mature cricketing brain out of this bunch of players, I'd certainly consider giving him a chance, but he needs to improve his record quick.

As for Root - 34 Tests as captain, but still making amateurish mistakes. I never wanted him as captain, and he has done nothing to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I understand why Stokes would be the obvious choice, he is a real leader who will lead by example and players will feel an obligation to follow him and I'm sure he'll instil that desire in the players to perform. It is for me the workload that's the problem, he's currently our best batsman and fielder that wants to be involved all the time.

His bowling, while inconsistent, can also be of the highest level, I'm just not fair skippering on top of all that is particularly fair on him. He does have excellent fitness levels but he puts so much into whatever he's doing, mentally he'll be absolutely drained. I'd be very sceptical about giving it to him.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I'd take that purely on the basis that there's more upside than could possibly be offered by Henry as a fifth-string quick on Australian decks. Plus if you leave Santner out - which isn't unreasonable given the record of touring finger spinners in Aus and the likelihood that CdG h4x won't work over here - he provides some #engineroom points over Southee @ 8.

I'm absolutely running that last XI for the first Test, give or take a Ferguson, but realistically I don't hold out much hope for the current team balance working out quite as well over this side of the ditch.
henry is a better bowler than kuggs and to commit the sin of format crossing, seems to have reduced his melting during the wc. in tests when he's been bad he's usually just bowled the 'unlucky' length and been innocuous. when kuggs is bad for nd and nz a he gets smashed.

im expecting us to get pulverised as usual until i see otherwise so meh, but we're already all in on the current bowling crop adapting to australian conditions. nz are trusting southee/boult to lift their game and wagner/cdg to adapt on their first tour like they have elsewhere. ferguson obv plays in place of someone.

Alec Stewart on The Cricket Debate seems to have a real-chip on his shoulder. Basically saying that other than Williamson, what NZ player would get in the England XI??? I mean, c'mon!!!
it would just be kicking a team when they're down for me to list a non-controversial combined xi. the bowling spots would be hotly contested if we were playing in england or an ashes series.

they've fallen behind in how to bowl here and show very little interest in learning. the pink ball should really help them next game though.

Last edited:

D/L

U19 Captain
I think England will have to decide on Root's future as captain by the end of this series. Problem is, there are no obvious candidates to take over. I wouldn't want to give it to Stokes for fear of overburdening him. Buttler/Bairstow haven't secured their spots. Rory Burns looks like the only available option.
International, on field captaincy is not the difficult task it used to be. If Root's good enough to retain his place with his batting, then he may as well remain as captain. If not, drop him, pick an XI who justify their place and then decide who should lead the team onto the field.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I've finally realized why I've never liked Root. Had a bit of an epiphany when I was watching the highlights now.

It's because he wears a helmet which is about two sizes too big for him. The grill is like a foot in front of his face. He looks like bubble boy ffs.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Thing is, I actually like quite a lot of the players England have. Burns, Sibley, Denly, Buttler, Leach and in particular Curran come across well on the field. Really rate Curran and his temperament

Last edited:

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Alec Stewart on The Cricket Debate seems to have a real-chip on his shoulder. Basically saying that other than Williamson, what NZ player would get in the England XI??? I mean, c'mon!!!
Latham, Taylor, Williamson, Santner, and Boult are shoo-ins into the England XI, and right now BJ Watling for sure over Buttler. The England shoo-ins would be Root, Stokes, and Anderson while all the rest are debateable. A three-way tie between Wagner, Archer and Broad depending on conditions for the third seamer.
1. Latham
2. Rory Burns
3. K Williamson
4. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. BJ Watling
8. Santner
9. Wagner/Broad/Archer
10. James Anderson
11. Trent Boult

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Latham, Taylor, Williamson, Santner, and Boult are shoo-ins into the England XI, and right now BJ Watling for sure over Buttler. The England shoo-ins would be Root, Stokes, and Anderson while all the rest are debateable. A three-way tie between Wagner, Archer and Broad depending on conditions for the third seamer.
1. Latham
2. Rory Burns
3. K Williamson
4. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. BJ Watling
8. Santner
9. Wagner/Broad/Archer
10. James Anderson
11. Trent Boult
Rory Burns isn't very good, so I'd open with Root (he did it early in his career) and put Henry Nicholls at 5 with Taylor at 4. Nicholls is the 6th best batsmen in the current rankings ahead of JR.

Spark

Global Moderator
Buttler's dismissal was incredible. One for the ATG leave hall of fame/shame, that one. The view from behind the stumps was glorious.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Buttler's dismissal was incredible. One for the ATG leave hall of fame/shame, that one. The view from behind the stumps was glorious.
That series of dismissals in the middle makes for very bad viewing in what should have been a rearguard. I suppose Denly can't be faulted for lack of match sense but the other three were hopeless.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's probably indicative of attitude in English cricketing circles. You'd think that an innings defeat would encourage a bit of humility, but then again maybe not.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
It's probably indicative of attitude in English cricketing circles. You'd think that an innings defeat would encourage a bit of humility, but then again maybe not.
I don't buy the old 'the English are arrogant' trope. It's dull.

Stewart is misinformed - undoubtedly - but it's little more than that with a dollop of ex-player/pundit/fan over-rating his own thrown in. Happens everywhere in every sport.

Saying that, as a NZ fan, I know the only English player getting into our side is Archer for Boult, cos he's injured.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't buy the old 'the English are arrogant' trope. It's dull.

Stewart is misinformed - undoubtedly - but it's little more than that with a dollop of ex-player/pundit/fan over-rating his own thrown in. Happens everywhere in every sport.

Saying that, as a NZ fan, I know the only English player getting into our side is Archer for Boult, cos he's injured.

Nah, you must have a first reserve good enough to make the composite side.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ordinary stuff. Stinks up and detracts from a great win
Racism sucks. No question. And I'm all for stamping it out by bringing attention to it.

But it doesn't detract from the win. No NZ player was involved in the alleged (and it is alleged) abuse. And it was one person, allegedly, of 4.5million in our country. I'm never sure why we treat the 0.001 percent of the population's behaviour like it's in any way indicative of the society around it.