• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, Pujara is averaging nearly 60 in India against all comers. His exploits against an Australian attack of Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon have convinced me that he's behind only Tendulkar and Kohli as an Indian batsman. He's like Dravid but better.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
As much of a fan as I am of The Wall, I too believe Pujara is a slight cut above. Both have really similar team roles.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
My stab at a Test XI (2010s)

Cook
Amla
Smith
Kohli*
Williamson
ABdV+
Shakib
Ashwin
Philander
Starc
Cummins

Insanely deep batting. Root, Pujara, Jaddu, Herath & Harris all really unlucky to miss out. Misbah-ul-Haq's contributions can't be forgotten either.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually, Pujara is averaging nearly 60 in India against all comers. His exploits against an Australian attack of Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon have convinced me that he's behind only Tendulkar and Kohli as an Indian batsman. He's like Dravid but better.
As much of a fan as I am of The Wall, I too believe Pujara is a slight cut above. Both have really similar team roles.
This is insanity. Pure insanity. As much as I want to root for a fellow Gujarati, this is a crazy comparison. It's not particularly close.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is insanity. Pure insanity. As much as I want to root for a fellow Gujarati, this is a crazy comparison. It's not particularly close.
Maybe, it's a very losely held belief. Looking over his stats in places other than Australia and the subcontinent a very strong case could be made that Pujara isn't as good as Dravid.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So a quick count over last 20 pages or so.

Sobers, Lillee, McGrath and Dravid not worthy of ATG XI mention.

Who's next, maybe Ponting who played on 2 years too long?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a few player/team of the decade threads pop up. MM is usually good at running those type of things. Voting for best pace bowler could be fun. Heaps of candidates.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously, if we're going down the revisionist history path here of "McGrath and Lillee weren't as good at all their contemporaries and the people who watched them know they were" because there are 100 rabid Indians on the forum wanting to re-write cricket history in absurd and ridiculous ways, let me know and I'll just go on espncricinfo's Facebook page instead of logging in here to read absolute drivel.
To be fair Red, think it's only one poster who went after McGrath, I can be wrong, but think the others were more saying Donald was under rated. I have been on record as saying in my opinion McGrath is absolute top tier and that's based on watching him play and his complete record.

With regards to Lillee, there was a lot of hype surrounding him during his career, partly due to his bravado and aura, not unlike IVA. I believe when I first joined the chat, the argument was who was the greatest Lillee or Marshall and I believe a natural correction has taken place. He was an undoubtedly great bowler, just not absolute top tier. There were holes in his record, but he was genuine ATG bowler.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the bravado Lillee brought with him on field actually enhances his claim to greatness, as cricket itself is a huge psychological battle. Kind of like this forum really.