• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Since stats mean everything, ATG Aussie bowling attack (min 20 Tests) based purely on SR

Cummins 46.0
Starc 50.0
Harris 50.7
Johnson 51.1

Pattinson next in after 1 more test as has 48.9 after 19 tests.

Ummm, maybe it's just statistical noise that these are all recent players?
If Cummins and Starc can do the same thing till the end of their career and get their bowling averages improve a notch as well, why not? They will deserve to be in ATG team.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing you can do about it tbh. A decade from now with even more access to the internet, indian cricket fans will take over the web, Lillee will be relegated to ftb status, Bradman will be considered a myth and Sachin will take his rightful place as GOAT.

And you all will have to watch helplessly and cry. Can't wait.
It will be All hail Virat Kohli then. Bradman, Sachin will all be forgotten. :(

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Most of us have watched cricket from a very young age, grew up loving this game and its heroes regardless of the nationality. There would be many indians who liked to watch Mcgrath, Lara, Donald, Marshall etc in their prime as those who would watch Tendulkar. Which is why you see many Indians debating why Garner was as good as Lillee or Donald was as good as Mcgrath. That is not rabidity. An Indian player was not among the discussion there lol. You don't have to mandatorily watch them play( though in reality most of us have watched a lot of them) to gauge that a few are ridiculously over-rated and a few others are criminally under-rated.
Nit picking of stats would give an uncomfortable feeling to many if it exposes over-reliance of some players on their comfort zones :)
Garbage, there’s a bloc of Indian posters who love to belittle former Australian players with garbage posting. You’re one of them. Don’t pretend otherwise now.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about you guys but I always thought Donald was top tier. Just for dat action alone. I'd say he'd have been SA's best ever test bowler if not for Steyn and Steyn's only a couple of places ahead of him. Always thought he was up there with Ambrose in the 90s. I guess our ATG ranking nitpicking can make us lose perspective somewhat and artificially enlarge differences between great bowlers but Donald was surely as devastating as Steyn or Marshall at his best.

trundler

Garbage, there’s a bloc of Indian posters who love to belittle former Australian players with garbage posting. You’re one of them. Don’t pretend otherwise now.
OS was obviously trolling but hurricane has never been anti Australian, just anti-Lillee if you will. Kinda like your Bevan is overrated stance.

bagapath

International Captain
Ambrose took 22 5WPI in 179 innings.

Donald took 20 5WPI in 120 innings.

Ambrose had a better average. Donald had a better SR.

So how was Donald a lesser match winner?
I didnt say donald was not a matchwinner

PS: Lillee took 23 fivefers and 7 tenfers

Was the most kick ass bowler of his generation - which was full of kick ass pacers to start with. Would be an automatic top tier champ in any era.

My post was more about why we should remember that DK will always be one of the greatest fast bowlers ever.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Cummins and Starc can do the same thing till the end of their career and get their bowling averages improve a notch as well, why not? They will deserve to be in ATG team.
Cummins average would have to go up by a couple of rpw to not be considered an ATG and be up there leapfrogging virtually everyone for a spot in the Aus ATXI. He's that freaking good.

Honestly Cummins, Bumrah, Rabada and Abbas will all be fighting it out over the next few years to see who emerges as this generation's McGrath, Donald, Wasim and Ambrose.

OverratedSanity

The same rabid biased Indian bloc was agreeing rahul dravid is a tad overrated. Pretty funny how you seemed to ignore that but jump all over the Lillee discussion.

OverratedSanity

Cummins average would have to go up by a couple of rpw to not be considered an ATG and be up there leapfrogging virtually everyone for a spot in the Aus ATXI. He's that freaking good.

Honestly Cummins, Bumrah, Rabada and Abbas will all be fighting it out over the next few years to see who emerges as this generation's McGrath, Donald, Wasim and Ambrose.
Abbas is relatively old already tbh. Looking forward to seeing him bowl in Australia even though i have my doubts on how his returns will be.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I left Dravid out of India's XI to take on Australia. But I left him out for Pujara, who is a better batsman than Dravid. He could bat 6 instead of Laxman, but he's lost his number 3 spot to Pujara.

Spark

Global Moderator
Play the poster, not his nationality. That used to be the golden rule.
Lol what it's play the post, not the poster.

However, I do think your suggestion is better if it means we can insult posters as long as we don't mention their nationality.
It's more like "play the post, not the poster, and absolutely definitely not the poster's nationality (i.e. other posters who aren't even involved in the debate).

OverratedSanity

I mean like Pujara is a very very very good batsman, one of the best of his generation, but Dravid has 13000+ Test runs. Sometimes we overcomplicate things a bit here.
Sure but I think the discussion was about an Australian xi specifically to play India and vice versa, which is why benaud was included by some and Warne wasn't.