• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Adithya Ashok will understandably be a bit of a spare part vs. Bangladesh U19 on very early season New Zealand pitches, but it's not because of the erratic pitch maps you'd associate with a 16-year-old wrist spinner. I think Wiseman was probably right about him growing up to be pretty deft and astute batsman as well, even though his dismissal today was pretty poor.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mmm yeah Ashok doesn't look to put much on the ball, hits some nice shots though.

Interested to see the seam bowlers - they look pretty raw, will be an interesting comparison between these clips and a repeat in 3 or 4 years time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Lellman reported that he got a lot of experience with spin and skiddy pace bowlers on that Hutt Hawks tour. He certainly looks assured coming down the wicket to the spinners.

Facing Indian spinners in their own unique conditions was a huge learning curve, Fergus says.

“They bowled a lot quicker and flatter through the air, but it still spun. Their control was harder to deal with and you got a lot less bad balls.

“Our spinners had to adapt quickly because if they floated it up they got smoked. Their pace bowlers seemed to have this uncanny ability to get one to skid and then the next ball to pop and there was a lot of variable bounce.”

jcas0167

International Debutant
Another half century for Lellman today. So good having the video scorecard for these under 19 games.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Almost loath to post a lot of Lellman, in case Cribbage drops by, squirrels away the knowledge and then crashes the price on all my planned U19 World Cup bets in January.

The way he gives it the absolute kitchen sink with the hands and arms probably isn't going to work as well in South Africa in January btw, bookmaker scouts. He'll be a slower surfaces man. Pomare is the one with the glorious pull shots.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Almost loath to post a lot of Lellman, in case Cribbage drops by, squirrels away the knowledge and then crashes the price on all my planned U19 World Cup bets in January.

The way he gives it the absolute kitchen sink with the hands and arms probably isn't going to work as well in South Africa in January btw, bookmaker scouts. He'll be a slower surfaces man. Pomare is the one with the glorious pull shots.
That backlift is hard to watch.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I agree Lellman may not look all that flash but the lad knows how to get runs. Jesse Tashkoff is fairly impressive all rounder? His bowling is not bad and batting is equally good. Good find. I've heard them say Ollie White, David White's son is an aggressive and a very good batsman but hasn't scored much.

Where are faster bowlers? We didn't have much fast bowling stock in the last U19s and this time around either. We may have to go back to the kind of lineup we had in mid 2000s in a decade to come unless we find some decent fast bowlers. I remember in the mid or late 2000s in one dayers we had bowling line up of Iain O'Brien, Ewen Thompson opening the bowling and Jacob Oram as first change against India. Sehwag smashed them all from memory.We don't want to go to those dark days.

nzfan

https://www.sporty.co.nz/cricketwel...A6J_7bWsgagaqsWoAv399E8iys59EKEo3Nvw1IyUtbA3U

Patel grabs an opportunity with England and unavailable for Plunkett shield first three rounds. I suppose that's likely the end of Jeetan and he's likely to move on after this season? Wondering who his replacement going to be? I can't remember anyone from the club ranks that can likely fill his boots.

Is Jacob Bhula going to be a starter this season with Luke Woodcock retiring? Rachin Ravindra and Jacob Bhula as openers like in the U19s.

I think they should use Rachin in the middle order and let him bowl heaps. It's going to be very tough to bat at the top and also bowl heaps.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Iain O'Brien was actually pretty sharp, and was one of those guys who got quicker and quicker as his career went on. Probably a bit quicker than Boult by the end.

nzfan

Iain O'Brien was actually pretty sharp, and was one of those guys who got quicker and quicker as his career went on. Probably a bit quicker than Boult by the end.
Definitely a reasonable test bowler and predominantly bowled into the wind.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Iain O'Brien into the wind was the ****ing best
Iain O'Brien is a dead-set champion. I still recall him working tirelessly into the wind at the Basin, with no ego, just doing it because that's what the team required. And actually getting the ball through reasonably well, still.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was also a legend with the bat, I've never seen a man so passionately defend his stumps by thrusting his crotch at the ball

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I can't really recall many players to go such a massive transformation as O'Brien. Remember seeing him bowl a couple of times before he became genuinely good and he was an absolute spud of the rance-st order.

The Hutt Rec

After his first test vs Australia in 2005 I think ... thought he would seriously never be heard of again and disappear from domestic cricket within 12 months. Ended up becoming a bit of a local legend and it was a shame when he did end up hanging up the boots a bit early, if anything!

Howsie

International Captain
I agree Lellman may not look all that flash but the lad knows how to get runs. Jesse Tashkoff is fairly impressive all rounder? His bowling is not bad and batting is equally good. Good find. I've heard them say Ollie White, David White's son is an aggressive and a very good batsman but hasn't scored much.

Where are faster bowlers? We didn't have much fast bowling stock in the last U19s and this time around either. We may have to go back to the kind of lineup we had in mid 2000s in a decade to come unless we find some decent fast bowlers. I remember in the mid or late 2000s in one dayers we had bowling line up of Iain O'Brien, Ewen Thompson opening the bowling and Jacob Oram as first change against India. Sehwag smashed them all from memory.We don't want to go to those dark days.
New Zealand had an absolute insane amount of talent (for a country of our size) come through during that 2008-2010 period of Under 19 cricket.

Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Matt Henry, Doug Bracewell, Adam Milne, Lockie Ferguson, Ben Wheeler and even Andrew Mathieson who managed an ODI a few years ago now. Bevan Small, who after Tim Southee was probably the best teenage bowler I’ve ever seen in this country was in that 2010 World Cup team too.

Henry, Milne and Ferguson actually all missed out on making that 2010 World Cup squad, that’s how stacked they were. Nine months later Adam Milne was running in for New Zealand bowling at 150k