• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Bradman a jerk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How is Woods a tool?...just because you're jealous of him? :p
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be Tiger but anyone that thinks that he is a decent, caring, honourable person is kidding themselves

What made you pick him from that list?

Many would have chosen Norman

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be Tiger but anyone that thinks that he is a decent, caring, honourable person is kidding themselves

What made you pick him from that list?

Many would have chosen Norman
Who is Norman?

Don't think its ok to **** other women while being married
If you go down that route then one out of every 3 or so sportsmen are probably genuine tools - some of them just keep better secrets than Woods

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who is Norman?

If you go down that route then one out of every 3 or so sportsmen are probably genuine tools - some of them just keep better secrets than Woods
Almost all the top tennis players are decent guys, so are most cricketers.

social

Who is Norman?

Greg Norman

And btw, I agree with you about infidelity and sportsmen but difference is that Woods cashed in massively on his character and was shown to be a fraud

Guys like Warne and Best never hid it

mr_mister

Look at Harvey's reputation as a person

Just because you are a great sportsman doesn't mean you are a decent human being

Norman?

Woods?

Best?

Warne?

OJ?

All complete tools and there are many others

a bit rough lumping that lot in with ****ing OJ of all people

harsh.ag

Best was a god. Shame to see him lumped in with Woods and Warne (not even going to go into OJ!)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Have no clue who are Best and OJ. The only Best I know of is Tino...o and George Best the English footballer of the World Cup winning team

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bradman was 24-25 years old at the time of Bodyline and he was working in a sporting goods store in Sydney and trying to turn his fame into extra money to support his wife and possibly child by that stage
No, his first child died as an infant in 1936. His other children, John and Shirley, were born in 1939 and 1941 respectively.

Contrarian

Cricket Spectator
Ian was angry because of two very valid reasons. One that as a player Bradman wanted to make as much money as possible; the anecdotes say that it was clear that he wanted to make money and he did. When he was gifted a decent amount for those times after one of his big hundreds in England, he didn't even have the courtesy to buy at least a drink for his teammates. As an administrator he wanted players to get as little as possible. And when he said to Ian Chappell that 'And I achieved all that without getting a divorce" then Ian said that the bastard is getting personal now. Bradman was also a big liar and he went to his grave lying about the Adelaide Leak for which Fingleton being the only journalist in the team got the blame. It was only sometime in the 70s when Fingleton met Pelham Warner, the English manager during the 1932-33 Ashes, to whom Woodfull said those famous words that only one team is playing cricket. That complete statement appearing in the newspapers the next day convinced the crowd that their captain was as much against the English tactics as they were that the situation came very close to a riot in Adelaide when Oldfield got hurt. It was just a matter of one person jumping over the pickets. Larwood maintained till his death that there could have been a riot that day. Bradman called it as 'the dastardly lie he (Fingleton) concocted against me' and when the investigation was taken up by Gilbert Mant he said that he hoped that it would clear his name. David Frith knew Bradman very well and sometimes if the conversation in the Don's house would get heated his wife would change the subject by asking Frith if he had composed the Obituary. Bodyline Autopsy by Frith is superbly researched and brilliantly written. No detail is left unturned and the source of the dressing room leak is revealed with supreme investigative journalism skills. The souring of relations between England and Australia, the vilification of Larwood was all Bradman's doing.

SillyCowCorner1

Ian was angry because of two very valid reasons. One that as a player Bradman wanted to make as much money as possible; the anecdotes say that it was clear that he wanted to make money and he did. When he was gifted a decent amount for those times after one of his big hundreds in England, he didn't even have the courtesy to buy at least a drink for his teammates. As an administrator he wanted players to get as little as possible. And when he said to Ian Chappell that 'And I achieved all that without getting a divorce" then Ian said that the bastard is getting personal now. Bradman was also a big liar and he went to his grave lying about the Adelaide Leak for which Fingleton being the only journalist in the team got the blame. It was only sometime in the 70s when Fingleton met Pelham Warner, the English manager during the 1932-33 Ashes, to whom Woodfull said those famous words that only one team is playing cricket. That complete statement appearing in the newspapers the next day convinced the crowd that their captain was as much against the English tactics as they were that the situation came very close to a riot in Adelaide when Oldfield got hurt. It was just a matter of one person jumping over the pickets. Larwood maintained till his death that there could have been a riot that day. Bradman called it as 'the dastardly lie he (Fingleton) concocted against me' and when the investigation was taken up by Gilbert Mant he said that he hoped that it would clear his name. David Frith knew Bradman very well and sometimes if the conversation in the Don's house would get heated his wife would change the subject by asking Frith if he had composed the Obituary. Bodyline Autopsy by Frith is superbly researched and brilliantly written. No detail is left unturned and the source of the dressing room leak is revealed with supreme investigative journalism skills. The souring of relations between England and Australia, the vilification of Larwood was all Bradman's doing.
ok

Burgey

Must have been an unusual meeting, given Warner died in 1963.

But please, carry on.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
But yeah he was kind of a jerk. Lots of athletes who are considered the greatest in their respective sport were jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.