• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The other Steve Smith question - Who would you try and get him out ?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this how this thread will be from now on?

"I think *insert random average bowler that has been lucky enough not to have to bowl to Smith yet* might be able to really challenge him where no one else has"

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Admittedly Smith is pretty fortunate he didn't come up against the famed Indian pace wheel of the mid-90's.

Debasis Mohanty, Harvinder Singh, Dodda Ganesh, Paras Mhambrey & Abey Kuruvilla all would have made mince meat out of him.

Daemon

Admittedly Smith is pretty fortunate he didn't come up against the famed Indian pace wheel of the mid-90's.

Debasis Mohanty, Harvinder Singh, Dodda Ganesh, Paras Mhambrey & Abey Kuruvilla all would have made mince meat out of him.
Smith wouldn’t have made it in those days. Equal opportunities employment has only gained momentum this decade.

Burgey

In Australia, I'm really looking forward to Neil Wagner vs Steve Smith on bouncy Aussie wickets. Wags will bring the aggro needed I reckon.
Oh man, if he tries to bounce him out he’ll go for a thousand

thierry henry

International Coach
Oh man, if he tries to bounce him out he’ll go for a thousand
Almost certainly true, although tbf in the last test NZ played against Australia Wagner bounced out 6 Aussies including Smith, in an innings where we otherwise got annihilated. So it's about as good as any other tactic.

TheJediBrah

Almost certainly true, although tbf in the last test NZ played against Australia Wagner bounced out 6 Aussies including Smith, in an innings where we otherwise got annihilated. So it's about as good as any other tactic.
m8 that was because Aus 2/350 and they all got out because they were going for the declaration. I wouldn't see that as a sign that Nial Wagnell bouncing the Aus batsman has any particular merit as a tactic

thierry henry

International Coach
m8 that was because Aus 2/350 and they all got out because they were going for the declaration. I wouldn't see that as a sign that Nial Wagnell bouncing the Aus batsman has any particular merit as a tactic
It obviously shouldn't be a good tactic, but that wasn't really what happened. The Aussies were genuinely alarmingly bad against Wagner's predictable short bowling that day, while smashing everything else. And of course, Wagner's "short bowling that shouldn't work" has pretty much just kept on working since.

......still have basically no faith in the tactic working in Australia with a 33 year old Wags tbf

thierry henry

International Coach
Also, since Wagner has always been treated as disposable by our selectors, I fully expect a punt to be taken on Ferguson over Wagner anywhere

Flem274*

123/5
steve smith is basically the counter balance to the australian rugby side. even this australian batting line up that would otherwise get ruined overseas still managed to pull a steve smith out of their arsehole.

even the league side gets beat by south auckland and whoever cares about league in england often enough, but the cricket team keeps finding great players even when they should be struggling.

they would be the most annoying sports team in the world but the canterbury crusaders still exist to win titles with boring clinical rugby and convince the selectors every filler forward or random back who gets to hide behind them is a world class all black so that's something australian cricket haven't claimed i guess.

honourable mention to india purely for their guzzler commentators.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
On the Ashes debate on Sky Bob Willis and Ryan Sidebottom were offered a time machine to wheel in any bowler in history who would have troubled Smith. Willis went for Wasim and Waqar, which is fair enough. Ryan Sidebottom said Darren Gough...……….

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Does anybody think Steve Smith could been picked for Australia side again if he didn't decide to play out his career in South Africa? He was a pretty decent ODI player from all reports.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the Ashes debate on Sky Bob Willis and Ryan Sidebottom were offered a time machine to wheel in any bowler in history who would have troubled Smith. Willis went for Wasim and Waqar, which is fair enough. Ryan Sidebottom said Darren Gough...……….
Maybe he thought he'd try to do some head games like with Shane Watson.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who would I take to get Smith out?

I'd take Malcolm Marshall, Glenn McGrath, Keith Miller, Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan as my attack thank you very much.

Knowing Smith he'd figure out how to score runs anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
i'd take mcgrath or hadlee because they'd just sit in the corridor waiting while smith waited for them to screw up. would be a good battle.

on the bouncer meme - the bouncer meme works because over a ten+ over wagner marathon spell batsmen get impatient and go fishing. even greats like kohli just can't help themselves and take wagner's bait, which is why the only century kohli has here is downhill skiing in an obvious draw situation in the final innings of the series after he dropped mccullum on 9.

smith will just let it go and wait for the southee away from home buffet to play his hook shots.

Slifer

International Captain
I'd put him in a time machine and transport him back to pre 90s where bouncers were unrestricted and pitches were more bowler friendly. He'd be sorted out then imo especially by the likes of MM, Holding, Garner and co. Now playing under current conditions, I think bowlers like Rabada trouble him enough so a fast bowler with good enough pace, accuracy and a lil nastiness mixed in should do the trick. Therefore MM, Ambrose, Wasim should do just fine...imo