• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Erroneous revisionism that needs to be corrected

91Jmay

International Coach
So you mean everyone who knows how to rate cricketers on something other than national bias?

Tendulkar wasn't the best ODI batsman around - Viv was.

Most people who saw him play rate Sobers as the second best behind Bradman.

I happen to think Smith is a better test batsman than Tendulkar.

You may have a point if you combine tests and ODIs but who the hell does that? And Kohli might just be better than Tendulkar. The jury is still out.

Tendulkar had one thing going for him that separates him from everyone else and that's his longevity. And even then Lara and Kallis both have claims to being as good as Tendulkar for almost as long.
Longevity is dramatically underappreciated on this forum though, can't perscribe it a numeric value so people sort of punish players for it in an odd way.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
***** wasn't talking about having a "good genuine case" for it though. ***** made the claim that anyone who doesn't agree with it is performing "revisionism"
Yeah that's rubbish.

But Tendulkar's batting often gets downplayed on CW as a sort of counter to the excessive love he gets elsewhere. I mean we have people saying Kallis was equal.

srbhkshk

International Captain
***** wasn't talking about having a "good genuine case" for it though. ***** made the claim that anyone who doesn't agree with it is performing "revisionism"
And stephen's saying that there's no reason to rate him on the top apart from nationalistic bias. There are plenty of reasons other than that.

Teja.

Global Moderator
David Frith said:
‘Holding was usually magnificent – as was Wes Hall before him – and Garner and Ambrose were fortunate to be endowed with such long limbs.’
*Rage intensifies*

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah that's rubbish.

But Tendulkar's batting often gets downplayed on CW as a sort of counter to the excessive love he gets elsewhere. I mean we have people saying Kallis was equal.
Made 2 half centuries in Pakistan against a quality bowling line up when he was 16 ffs. Score a ton at 17 when India where collapsing to save a test. He was literally a child.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Made 2 half centuries in Pakistan against a quality bowling line up when he was 16 ffs. Score a ton at 17 when India where collapsing to save a test. He was literally a child.
Could say that about Mozart but he ain't the greatest

TheJediBrah

In which part of his post?
He never said otherwise, which is what you claimed. His statement about "national bias" was in direct response to *****'s outrageous claim. He never said, or even implied, that you have to be biased to rate Tendulkar no. 2

TheJediBrah

I think we can all agree that:

- rating Tendulkar no. 2 is perfectly reasonable, and not revisionism
- rating someone else (who actually has a decent claim) no. 2 is perfectly reasonable, and not revisionism
- ***** is wrong

Daemon

not really. stephen was responding directly to *****. He just said that others have just as much of a claim.
***** said that it's revisionism to say Tendulkar isn't the No.1 ODI batsman. That's rubbish obviously because of Viv and maybe even Kohli.

But for tests ***** didn't say he was the undisputed no.2, just whether he was "worthy" of it. And he certainly is.

TheJediBrah

***** said that it's revisionism to say Tendulkar isn't the No.1 ODI batsman. That's rubbish obviously because of Viv and maybe even Kohli.

But for tests ***** didn't say he was the undisputed no.2, just whether he was "worthy" of it. And he certainly is.
ok

TheJediBrah

you realize no one actually disagreed with anyone else but we still managed to argue for the best part of a page?

cricketweb at it's best

Burgey

I think we can all agree that:

- rating Tendulkar no. 2 is perfectly reasonable, and not revisionism
- rating someone else (who actually has a decent claim) no. 2 is perfectly reasonable, and not revisionism
- ***** is wrong
1. yes.
2. yes, but rating someone who's a complete spud no. 2 is not revisionism either.
3. always a given.

Burgey

It's obviously rubbish because that's not what revisionism is ffs.

Shares in Daemon Inc are on the slide here. Sell ffs.

trundler

***** was obviously baiting. I was happy people overlooked that transparently cringe statement until of course Stephen thought it fit to have another ODI batsman debate.

trundler

In any case, not what revisionism is. Revisionism would be saying Tendulkar wasn't that bad a captain or something.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
***** was obviously baiting. I was happy people overlooked that transparently cringe statement until of course Stephen thought it fit to have another ODI batsman debate.
Not a debate. I just told ***** he was wrong. Which he patently is.