• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Erroneous revisionism that needs to be corrected

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Every now and then people try to cover up Anderson's abysmal record away from him with disingenuous phrases like 'skilled toiler'. That's passing off a limitation I.e an inability to pick up wickets away from home as an ability with the use of soft language. What kind of differently abled level of bull**** is that? It's a handicap. A great bowler at home but he's vegan Peter Siddle level away from home.
Exactly right. CW has this thing where a lot of posters feel the need to overrate someone they feel is underrated. The idea that he's some all time great is laughable.

He's anil kumble. And that's fine. No need to make him into something he clearly isn't just because you feel he's unfairly maligned (which he probably is).

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly right. CW has this thing where a lot of posters feel the need to overrate someone they feel is underrated. The idea that he's some all time great is laughable.

He's anil kumble. And that's fine. No need to make him into something he clearly isn't just because you feel he's unfairly maligned (which he probably is).
You have given a new topic for slippy now. Unil Kumble vs James Underson. Underrated and misunderstood players.

Burgey

The number of people going around now who don't rate Sachin as the best ODI batsman of all time, and worthy 2nd to Bradman overall, is staggering. Let alone the number of people who don't even think he is Top 5 or 10.
He's not the best ODI batsman of all time. He's the most prolific, for now.

He belongs in the argument about being the best player since Bradman. It's not an argument he would win, but he belongs in it.

In any event, neither of those things fall into the category of revisionism.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Actually goes on to this day....for mine, the Windies have CONSISTENTLY had the most dickheads and the biggest dickheads in their team since I've been watching cricket, yet always get talked about like they're loveable fan favourites.
Really? I know there was always a certain amount of posturing, but that never bothered me. It just looked ridiculous when subsequent generations gave it all the posturing without being nearly as good. But they never struck me as dickheads in the 1980s because for the most part they simply stfu and got on with the game. Golden age compared to what followed. Looking at your location, maybe the 1979/80 series would be a factor tbf. And I'll give you Viv Richards' antics over the Rob Bailey dismissal in 1990. But that's about it.

Ironically, Clive Lloyd has been guilty of some pretty serious revisionism since he retired, but that's another matter.

Last edited:

morgieb

The number of people going around now who don't rate Sachin as the best ODI batsman of all time, and worthy 2nd to Bradman overall, is staggering. Let alone the number of people who don't even think he is Top 5 or 10.
Because he's not the best ODI batsman of all-time. Top 5? Yes. But he's not better than Viv, and Kohli's current level > his peak (though Sachin might have him beat on longetivity)

In Tests it's fair enough to say he's in the mix for the second greatest batsman of all-time, but he's far from clear cut in that regard.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I take this as the closest quotation of McGrath's speed earlier on in his career (well, his debut). It's the closest we'll get anyway.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I take this as the closest quotation of McGrath's speed earlier on in his career (well, his debut). It's the closest we'll get anyway.
Probably my favourite commentary exchange that one.

That shot sounded great too. Bats made a better noise back then, and the commentary didn't cut over the on field sound as much.

trundler

I don't fully trust speedguns. On quite a few occasions in the world cup their readings were very generous to the bowler I thought.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeez some of those numbers are dodgy. Going by the highlights available in the 1999/00 season (a much larger sample of numbers than that list) he was generally bowling low 130s, which is nowhere near some of the numbers claimed there for that period. I think there's a measurement error or two.

Speaking of not knowing what sort of pace people bowl, I'd like to gain an impression from people here who watched him at the time of what pace they think Courtney Walsh was bowling around 1992.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Really? I know there was always a certain amount of posturing, but that never bothered me. It just looked ridiculous when subsequent generations gave it all the posturing without being nearly as good. But they never struck me as dickheads in the 1980s because for the most part they simply stfu and got on with the game. Golden age compared to what followed. Looking at your location, maybe the 1979/80 series would be a factor tbf. And I'll give you Viv Richards' antics over the Rob Bailey dismissal in 1990. But that's about it.

Ironically, Clive Lloyd has been guilty of some pretty serious revisionism since he retired, but that's another matter.
The best revisionism involving the West Indies is the idea that they were gaining revenge for slavery.

trundler

He was captain when Croft pushed Goodall and later became a match referee. That's pretty hilarious.

OverratedSanity

What people say: "Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana's explosive starts were the prime reason why SL won the 96 world cup"

Reality :Kalu averaged 12 in that tournament