• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their chance was probably really on that first afternoon. At 2/130 you really have to put the foot down and make at least 300+, that would have probably killed the game.
Especially since we'd then be batting most of yesterday in the sun and having England coming out under this morning's clouds still behind on the first innings.

Meridio

International Regular
From what I've heard they got pretty great bowling conditions handed to them on the first morning and generally had the better of the conditions.
It did quite a bit on the first morning, but I was more referring to yesterday being steaming hot and the pitch being noticeably flatter, and then this morning it came out cooler, moist and overcast which was perfect for England's bowlers. It's partly their own fault for not batting through the first day; as Spark says they had the opportunity there but didn't take it. You'd expect though that on the third day conditions would be best for batting and yet it did more this morning than it had all game.

Daemon

A 1000+ post thread for an associate teams Test during the post WC hangover makes me happy

vcs

Would like to see how England deal with a tricky chase like this in the 4th innings, they seem to win an awful lot of tosses and their attack is just irresistible when they're defending any target above 150 or so.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly just bat Curran at 3. Why not?

It really isn't the worst idea in present circumstances. He's so confident that he'd probably prefer it to coming in at 9 and batting with the rabbits. And he might just pull it off from time to time. Plus we get his golden arm tendencies into the team. I feel we've travelled a fair distance since I started watching the game and John Edrich was doing that job for England, but that appears to be where we're at nowadays.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There was never a time in this match when I thought England weren’t going to win (and said so in the thread including at lunch on the first day). It was because Ireland don’t have runs in them and an assumption that we would bat better second time around. In some ways the second innings was worse than the first. Saved first by a number 11 opening and then a slog by Curran at the end that took the match well out of reach of Ireland. None of this has any bearing on The Ashes that I expect us to win, though not with the same confidence as this match.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
This was crushingly disappointing

Also are gloating English posters going to be a thing now?
There was plenty of gloating from the rest of the world on this forum when people thought we were going to crash out of the world cup, and lose to Ireland so I wouldn't blame any England fans for gloating over these past couple of weeks. It's not like it's going to last anyway so may as well get it in when you can.

hazsa19

International Regular
I’m not gloating. I was kind of philosophical about the 1st innings collapse, but the batting after the Roy/ Leach partnership was appalling. Relying so much on our bowlers (both with the ball and the bat) is going to cost us soon, it could well be the Ashes.

vcs

England only pick batsmen to give their bowlers moral support and to take catches in the slips.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's hard not to sound like a patronising prick when one says well played to a team who've been skittled for 38, but I really think Ireland did themselves proud for six sessions (& one ball).

It'll smart just now, but they ran into two bowlers in conditions tailor made for them.

Not sure where this leaves England other than another opener definitely in the reject bin. There's surely no way Burns could be sent in against Oz currently. It'd be inhuman.

Denly probably would get my nod, but that says a lot more about the paucity of other options than any particular confident I have in him.

Probably give Malan another go at 3 and the rest more or less chose themselves down to nine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There was never a time in this match when I thought England weren’t going to win (and said so in the thread including at lunch on the first day). It was because Ireland don’t have runs in them and an assumption that we would bat better second time around. In some ways the second innings was worse than the first. Saved first by a number 11 opening and then a slog by Curran at the end that took the match well out of reach of Ireland. None of this has any bearing on The Ashes that I expect us to win, though not with the same confidence as this match.
Other than a few highlights I managed to catch yesterday, I didn’t watch a ball but this was generally my feeling too. In a stopped clock moment I correctly predicted earlier in the thread a 100+ run victory though I expected that to come on the back of a bigger second innings for us.

I’m just delighted that after all these years we have Uppercut commenting on big matches that he’s emotionally invested in outside of tournaments here and there. No sarcasm attached to that, for 11 years we’ve often had frank exchanges of views on here but he’s one of the good guys, and he’s bought me beer too.

Fair play to Ireland, nobody wants a pat on the head but you only have to cast your mind back to Bangladesh’s appalling efforts in 2005 (or even 2010 tbh) to recognise that to put us to the sword for a couple of days was no mean feat, relatively speaking. What’s their schedule like moving forwards?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Really sad for Ireland to finish like that. Since they collapsed so horribly I would've been happier (as a Kiwi) if they'd scored 25 or lower.

Howe_zat

Audio File
'Ireland did well for two days' is kinda true but it doesn't quite convey how they stuffed us for the first two sessions.