• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who are probably going to retire from ODIs after this World Cup

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this WC might be a last hurrah for Kedar Jadhav too. He's already 34. We need to move on to new middle order options for the next WC

As for BD...Tamim is 30, Shakib and Mushy are 32, Mahmadullah 33. Could be the last WC for all of them, although making it to 2023 isn't out of the question.
I'm backing all four of them to go around again.

Not Mashrafe though. I remember seeing him when the Bangladeshis toured Australia in 2003 when he was one of the most injury-prone players in world cricket. I never would have thought he would outlast all other members of that squad including Mohammad Ashraful. It will be interesting to see how much he gives to his political career once it's all over.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Has anyone said Universe Boss?
He will definitely retire from ODI's. An absolute titan of West Indies cricket. I hope he gets a great send off and that he gets the 60 odd runs he needs to overtake Lara as our highest ODI run-scorer.

But after the WC it's definitely time to move on to Ambris/Campbell etc.

Beamer

Just read on Twitter that Gayle has apparently reversed his decision to retire and made himself available for the Test and ODi series against India in August.

Edit: Yep - from the man himself https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1143848421541011456
He won't be available for the T20's but is up for test and ODI selection. Surely post World Cup is the perfect time for us to move on and give Ambris/Campbell maximum game time? Not a massive fan of that decision.

They can give him a farewell test I guess, that would be nice. But otherwise I wouldn't want him in the test side, he has been away from long form cricket for too long and Campbell deserves a run.

h_hurricane

Hashim Amla is here to stay. Play a couple of years of JAMODIs, score another 10 ODI hundreds and retire on a glory scoring 3 hundreds in a trot against AFG.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mortaza has said he isn't thinking about retirement

Wonder what his knees have to say about that

tooextracool

International Coach
Hashim Amla is here to stay. Play a couple of years of JAMODIs, score another 10 ODI hundreds and retire on a glory scoring 3 hundreds in a trot against AFG.
There is some truth to your point - not only is Amla's record at the WC lesser than his overall record in ODIs, he's never scored an ODI ton against a non-associate nation having played in three editions of the world cup. A lot of commentators often question why Amla isn't ranked up with the fab 4 despite all the records he has cracked but it is not that hard of a question to answer. That said, he deserved to play another IPL season.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There is some truth to your point - not only is Amla's record at the WC lesser than his overall record in ODIs, he's never scored an ODI ton against a non-associate nation having played in three editions of the world cup. A lot of commentators often question why Amla isn't ranked up with the fab 4 despite all the records he has cracked but it is not that hard of a question to answer. That said, he deserved to play another IPL season.
Amla v Taylor is a better comparison. If Taylor plays a matchwinning knock in a World Cup semi or (better yet) final I'd put Ross ahead.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southee, if he has half a brain. Better exit to being dropped for good.