• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Naomi Osaka might be World Number 1 and hold two of the Grand Slams, but if she wins Wimbledon I'll run naked through SW19 whistling the Theme from the Deer Hunter.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The oldies have an iron grip on the ATP. Doesn't look like changing any time soon.

vcs

Barty's story is pretty amazing. Quit tennis for a while to play Women's Big Bash cricket, then resumed playing tennis. Has now won a Grand Slam, and is now World No. 1.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah her story is certainly very impressive, however it also underscores the parity (a.k.a mediocrity) in women's tennis right now with the inevitable decline of serena...we have a couple of players in muguruza and kvitova who have the talent but clearly not the temperament (and in kvitova's case, fate has been pretty cruel to her as well), the rest of the fare is pretty bland and uninspiring...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Murray won Queens Club Doubles (with Lopez) on his comeback. But whoever came up with the idea of replacing a deciding set with a first to 10 tie break is seriously deranged.

cpr

International Coach
I'm sure Lopez is grateful given the amount of time he's spent on court in the last few days. I thought this was something that's been in in doubles for a long time TBH.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure Lopez is grateful given the amount of time he's spent on court in the last few days. I thought this was something that's been in in doubles for a long time TBH.
It has been. It was introduced in Mixed Doubles years ago. In my opinion it was a terrible idea, completely nonsensical.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
15 year old Cori Gauff has qualified for the main draw at Wimbledon. Always used to happen with the likes of Austin, Jaeger, Seles, Graf and Capriati, but not these days. I actually thought there was legislation preventing them competing at that age, but obviously not.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Naomi Osaka might be World Number 1 and hold two of the Grand Slams, but if she wins Wimbledon I'll run naked through SW19 whistling the Theme from the Deer Hunter.
I wouldn’t normally quote my own posts, but in the warm up tournaments she looked like she’d never seen a grass court in her life. I didn’t see her First Round defeat today but I’m not surprised by it.

vcs

15 year old Cori Gauff has qualified for the main draw at Wimbledon. Always used to happen with the likes of Austin, Jaeger, Seles, Graf and Capriati, but not these days. I actually thought there was legislation preventing them competing at that age, but obviously not.
Seems a good player, took the first set against Venus.

Niall

International Coach
Seriously impressive - both on the court and in the post-match interview. We're gonna be seeing a lot more of her.
Definitely.

However possibly not much longer here,,,,grass master Rybriakova (spelling) next is a brutal second round.

LT was right about Osaka, the same girl smashed her on grass a few weeks ago.

Zverev and Tipsy out of the men's side....:wacko:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sorry was responding to lillian thomson's posts:

I wouldn’t normally quote my own posts, but in the warm up tournaments she looked like she’d never seen a grass court in her life. I didn’t see her First Round defeat today but I’m not surprised by it.

Last edited: