• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

15th Match - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The not out decision against Smith yesterday was particularly wtf. I actually assumed that he'd hit it, because otherwise there's surely no way you can do anything other than give that out before the appeal even starts in earnest. And yet...
Tbf, I can see why someone would look at that and at first glance think it came off the leading edge.

Burgey

Hash has probably had it, hasn’t he? Been a wonderful player but can’t help but think he’s done. Hopefully a few good knocks in the remaining matches.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The not out decision against Smith yesterday was particularly wtf. I actually assumed that he'd hit it, because otherwise there's surely no way you can do anything other than give that out before the appeal even starts in earnest. And yet...
Sharma's reaction after Gould's dithering more than made up for the indecision.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA are just pretty bad, aren't they?
The problems that have been plaguing SA for the last 4 years have just suddenly come home to roost, during the SL series and now at a poorly timed WC.

The worst part from my point of view as a supporter is that South Africans who only watch WC's and don't actually really know what is going on will make lots of ignorant comments.

Burgey

So did the umpire. Probably cos he’s just a massive troll the way he walks cross his stumps

cnerd123

likes this
I hope it keeps raining for SA's sake

The obvious risk with trying to use foresight to shorten a game before the rain comes is that you end up finishing a T20 under sunny skies, leaving everyone to wonder why a 50 over game wasn't played instead. I've seen this happen at club level and you get mixed reactions from the individuals involved. Now bring in national cricket boards, broadcasters, sponsors, paying spectators, etc. into the mix and you can see why this is not an easy solution. Everyone has agreed on using DLS, changing the system will require another buy-in from all stakeholders. Not impossible, but is it worth the effort?

Chipper Roberts

Cricket Spectator
Agreed. I work in Southampton - this rain looks set for the day. I'll be amazed if another ball is bowled.

Time to move onto tomorrow's washout :unsure:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This is very unlucky for WI. SA are all but out of the tournament and the Windies had a good start. By no means guaranteed to win of course, but would surely prefer the chance of two points rather than the guaranteed one when it'll be tight around that 3rd and 4th semifinal spot. Similar to Pakistan washout against SL the other day I guess.

Niall

International Coach
Hash has probably had it, hasn’t he? Been a wonderful player but can’t help but think he’s done. Hopefully a few good knocks in the remaining matches.
His whole limited overs career has been failures in knock out events. Yes he has bullied associate trundlers but when you need him to step up he has constantly failed.

I think it reflects poorly on him that he made himself available for this event, he surely knows he is in the decline and he knew there was no associates for him to bully,,,I dunno maybe he thought Ireland and Scotland would be added last minute?

vcs

Yep, WI have looked an incredibly dangerous team in this World Cup and it would have been interesting to see if they could bring the consistency as well in this game, to really put their hands up as contenders. Sucks for them more than for SA.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Back in 99 world cup, also played in England, they used to have a reserve day for all games. And they used to continue on the second day from where they left rather than start all over again. Why don't they continue that policy? Getting results is more important than anything else.

morgieb

Back in 99 world cup, also played in England, they used to have a reserve day for all games. And they used to continue on the second day from where they left rather than start all over again. Why don't they continue that policy? Getting results is more important than anything else.
My guess is it would be a big money/logisitical problem.

Agree though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
They make enough money out of world cup I am sure. It's infuriating when they prioritize mundane stuff like money.

MrPrez

International Debutant
His whole limited overs career has been failures in knock out events. Yes he has bullied associate trundlers but when you need him to step up he has constantly failed.

I think it reflects poorly on him that he made himself available for this event, he surely knows he is in the decline and he knew there was no associates for him to bully,,,I dunno maybe he thought Ireland and Scotland would be added last minute?
What a ridiculous post. Yes he's got a better record against weaker teams... obviously. He's still done pretty alright vs the big teams:

Aus: 33
England: 51
India: 37
New Zealand: 38
Pakistan: 47
Sri Lanka: 53
West Indies: 76.

I'll take that.

Also, there is clearly no issue with making yourself available - it's up to the selectors to pick the best team, not the players to decide if they're good enough to stand for selection.

I've not been a fan of him recently but there's no doubting he's been a class batsman throughout his career.

morgieb

Rain has supposedly stopped for now. Still looks bleak on the radar but it also suggests it should be raining now so who knows.