• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

15th Match - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
They make enough money out of world cup I am sure. It's infuriating when they prioritize mundane stuff like money.
Yup the current thought process is to maximize profit, not to just have a great tournament that can also cover it's own costs.

Sucks for the fans at the end of the day.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Back in 99 world cup, also played in England, they used to have a reserve day for all games. And they used to continue on the second day from where they left rather than start all over again. Why don't they continue that policy? Getting results is more important than anything else.
Yea I remember coming back on the reserve day to beat England and qualify for the Super Sixes at their expense. :D Was nice because we'd looked down and out of it after that horrible defeat to Zimbabwe earlier.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Because the rest of the SA team is superb in World Cups...and Reeza Hendricks would have done so much better.
Amla was South Africa's second-highest run scorer at the 2011 World Cup (behind AB), averaging 43.71 and third-highest at the 2015 World Cup (behind AB and Faf), averaging 41.62. Granted, those are below his career average and his Champions Trophy record is disappointing, but can averaging over 40 at a strike rate above 90 really be regarded as a "failure"?

ICC Cricket World Cup, 2010/11 - South Africa Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com
ICC Cricket World Cup, 2014/15 - South Africa Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

OverratedSanity

Amla was South Africa's second-highest run scorer at the 2011 World Cup (behind AB), averaging 43.71 and third-highest at the 2015 World Cup (behind AB and Faf), averaging 41.62. Granted, those are below his career average and his Champions Trophy record is disappointing, but can averaging over 40 at a strike rate above 90 really be regarded as a "failure"?

ICC Cricket World Cup, 2010/11 - South Africa Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com
ICC Cricket World Cup, 2014/15 - South Africa Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com
He crossed 50 5 times in the two wcs : two hundreds against Netherlands and Ireland. His solitary fifty against decent opposition was against India in 2011. That's thoroughly unimpressive.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Amla was good in 2011, not great in 2015 when he was in his prime and probably should have shined. Should probably not be at this WC, still suspect he was asked rather than desperately wanted to be here.

Niall

International Coach
What a ridiculous post. Yes he's got a better record against weaker teams... obviously. He's still done pretty alright vs the big teams:

Aus: 33
England: 51
India: 37
New Zealand: 38
Pakistan: 47
Sri Lanka: 53
West Indies: 76.

I'll take that.

Also, there is clearly no issue with making yourself available - it's up to the selectors to pick the best team, not the players to decide if they're good enough to stand for selection.

I've not been a fan of him recently but there's no doubting he's been a class batsman throughout his career.
No worthwhile innings in ICC knock out events, the man has failed constantly when it matters in limited overs cricket. Its all well and good smashing Irish trundlers but their is more cricket than that.

He has a few games to redeem himself, lets see if he can.

Although knowing Hash, he will fail and then smash a minnow in a meaningless ODI series afterwards.

MrPrez

International Debutant
No worthwhile innings in ICC knock out events, the man has failed constantly when it matters in limited overs cricket. Its all well and good smashing Irish trundlers but their is more cricket than that.

He has a few games to redeem himself, lets see if he can.

Although knowing Hash, he will fail and then smash a minnow in a meaningless ODI series afterwards.
Yes, all he's been able to do in his career is smash Irish trundlers.

Christ.

PS: Hashim is well past his prime now and in the worst form of his career for two years now. So no, he's probably not going to "redeem himself."

trundler

Amla's performance has been incredibly underwhelming in world cups and this fact has remained clear to anyone who watched him play in WCs.

MrPrez

International Debutant
He crossed 50 5 times in the two wcs : two hundreds against Netherlands and Ireland. His solitary fifty against decent opposition was against India in 2011. That's thoroughly unimpressive.
Cool, now do Virat Kohli.

Looking at performances from two tournaments in brief individual time periods is just silly.

Niall

International Coach

Looking at performances from two tournaments in brief individual time periods is just silly.
Kohli has done it somewhat in the world cup t20 events. Not so much champions trophy to be fair.

Amla has also failed in world cup t20 events and champions trophy events!

He has bossed bilateral series yes, but limited overs cricket is so much more than that.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Kohli has done it somewhat in the world cup t20 events. Not so much champions trophy to be fair.

Amla has also failed in world cup t20 events and champions trophy events!

He has bossed bilateral series yes, but limited overs cricket is so much more than that.
I never mentioned T20 though, did I? Different format and all.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is just that people only really care about WC, so performances outside become irrelevant in many minds. If you are unfortunate to play well between WC's then you are considered less good and if you did well during WC's you are better. Regardless of your skills or ability as a cricketer or brilliant other innings you've played in your life.

As a South African I always think of Klusener, who was a great player, but his aura is beyond what he is in my mind because watching his 150+ games he played, I am aware that the WC performance in 9 odd games was by far the best he ever played for SA. But that is what most people remember about him more than anything.

OverratedSanity

Why make it a country vs country thing? I've actually made a ton of posts already saying that Kohli's wc record is low key meh.

Doesn't change what I said about Amla though.