• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Cricketers from each country

smash84

The Tiger King
Akram
And Akthar when on song.
I wouldn't define that as charisma though or what is called having a "presence".

From Pakistan Imran had that, a very regal presence, and very charismatic. Viv though had a presence unlike any other. It was something to behold.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Probably just SA bias but I always thought Kallis had unreal presence. Perhaps not in a swashbuckling Viv way, but in a "how the hell will we get this guy out" type of way. I always felt that he owned the crease, and he always seemed to be calm and collected - everything seemed to slow down when he was facing.

It's a presence I've never felt the likes of Amla and AB replicate despite their great careers.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Probably just SA bias but I always thought Kallis had unreal presence. Perhaps not in a swashbuckling Viv way, but in a "how the hell will we get this guy out" type of way. I always felt that he owned the crease, and he always seemed to be calm and collected - everything seemed to slow down when he was facing.

It's a presence I've never felt the likes of Amla and AB replicate despite their great careers.
I felt the same about Kallis sometimes ,but in a different way.. mostly when he is chasing a decent target in ODis

smash84

The Tiger King

I don't know about that. I mean I agree that Amla and AB don't really have a presence as such. It is such a subjective thing but for me it has been Steyn for South Africa. When he is on the ground for South Africa he stands out. My attention would automatically go out to him, and of course when he is bowling it is just so awesome to watch. Kallis just felt, I don't know, a little boring? :p

MrPrez

International Debutant
I don't know about that. I mean I agree that Amla and AB don't really have a presence as such. It is such a subjective thing but for me it has been Steyn for South Africa. When he is on the ground for South Africa he stands out. My attention would automatically go out to him, and of course when he is bowling it is just so awesome to watch. Kallis just felt, I don't know, a little boring? :p
Oh yes, Steyn has that presence with the ball - absolutely. And you're not wrong in saying that Kallis could seem boring, but he also seemed totally in control. A slow burning death rather than a shot to the face, so to speak.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yeah, Warne being one of the top 5 cricketers of the 20th century at the half way point of his career was massive overrating. To think about it, Marshall(arguably the greatest quick of all time) and no less important to an ATG side just like Warne was no where close to the top in that exercise.
My biggest worry was the massive underrating of Sobers . Just 90 votes.

smash84

The Tiger King
Oh yes, Steyn has that presence with the ball - absolutely. And you're not wrong in saying that Kallis could seem boring, but he also seemed totally in control. A slow burning death rather than a shot to the face, so to speak.
yeah, Kallis was a bit like Steve Waugh. A solid presence out there, nothing flashy but you knew he was there. Heck, I thought Graeme Smith had a pretty solid presence on the field. Was so commanding, and for mine he would almost always overshadow Kallis if he was around.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
yeah, Kallis was a bit like Steve Waugh. A solid presence out there, nothing flashy but you knew he was there. Heck, I thought Graeme Smith had a pretty solid presence on the field. Was so commanding, and for mine he would almost always overshadow Kallis if he was around.
Dhoni is almost a superman in ODis , everything happens according to his plans.

Borges

International Regular
My biggest worry was the massive underrating of Sobers . Just 90 votes.
When it is a voting system, with Warne being grotesquely overrated, some deserving candidates are going to be hideously underrated.

Best to ignore anything and everything that Wisden does; they have been a sick joke for far too long.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
He wasn't ready in 91/92.
1998 he played injured.
1999 he was in the worst form of his life because he was coming back from the injury.
2001 he was still battling injuries. He only truly recovered from his injuries some time in 2002 (he averaged 71 vs New Zealand at home in 2001)
2004 he averaged 30 in India and missed a Bunsen ironically due to picking up another minor injury. The test he missed, Clarke took 5/9. He did get one five wicket haul on this tour and this was the truest reflection of his talent.

It really was as much a case of a combination of injury and India's batting skill against spin, particularly Tendulkar. But it's telling that Warne didn't even pick up much in the way of cheap tail end wickets against India.

Basically this run of series:

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
So basically he was either injured or not ready for a good ten years. Interesting. Folks picking him for all time elevens must be massively overconfident on his fitness.

h_hurricane

When it is a voting system, with Warne being grotesquely overrated, some deserving candidates are going to be hideously underrated.

Best to ignore anything and everything that Wisden does; they have been a sick joke for far too long.
There were 51 cricketers who received at least 1 vote. Half of them would be thanking heavens that WG Grace was a 19th century player. Else he would have brutally washed away whatever 1-2 votes they got.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
There were 51 cricketers who received at least 1 vote. Half of them would be thanking heavens that WG Grace was a 19th century player. Else he would have brutally washed away whatever 1-2 votes they got.
In that case , 300 votes reserved for Sobers , Bradman and Grace.

There are some other things to be thanked for

Barnes' character
SA isolation
..etc

If they all had proper careers , poll results would have been more interesting..

Sobers 100
Bradman 100
WG 100
Procter 55
Barnes 45

100 votes for the rest

h_hurricane

In that case , 300 votes reserved for Sobers , Bradman and Grace.

There are some other things to be thanked for

Barnes' character
SA isolation
..etc

If they all had proper careers , poll results would have been more interesting..

Sobers 100
Bradman 100
WG 100
Procter 55
Barnes 45

100 votes for the rest
Hobbs,Warne,Hutton, Compton and Lillee will gobble those 100 in no time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So basically he was either injured or not ready for a good ten years. Interesting. Folks picking him for all time elevens must be massively overconfident on his fitness.
2001 is probably Warne's biggest flop against India. 98 he just got owned by the best batsman of the generation at a time when he was smashing a run a ball hundred basically every week. But in 01 with the series almost in their grasp, he concedes 150 at 5 per over. Then at Chennai, defending 155 in the 4th innings with the rest of the attack bowling brilliantly, all it needed was Warne to not be complete crap and they probably win. Instead he goes at 7 runs per over and gets outbowled by Colin ****ing Miller lmfao.