• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb decides the Greatest Players Post World War I

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There have been a hundred years since WWI so we ought to pick and rank the greatest in that time span. Yay, more incessant arguing and more lists! Let's show Wisden how it's done since their list was frankly bollocks.

Think we should first compile a short list of over 50 players. Any one who gets over 3 votes will be added to it. The total number on the list is up for debate but I'm thinking 50 as per ankitj's suggestion. No Ian Harvey pl0x.

trundler

George Headley
Mike Procter
Kumar Sangakkara
Seconded.

To get going I'll go a country wise list:

Australia:
Bradman, AB, McGrath, Warne, Lillee, Miller, Harvey, Ponting, Benaud, Lindwall, Davidson, Gilchrist

England:
Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Hutton, Compton, Truman, Botham, Boycott, Barrington, Larwood, Laker, Knott

West Indies:
Sobers, Worrell, Viv, Marshall, Lloyd, Headley, Holding, Garner, Lara, Ambrose, Walsh, Hunte

South Africa:

Dudley Nourse, Graeme Smith, Graeme Pollock, Shaun Pollock, Proctor, Barry Richards, Tayfield, Steyn, Donald, Adcock

India:

Tendulkar, Dev, Gavaskar, Vishwanath, Bedi, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble

Pakistan:

Imran, Miandad, Hanif, Wasim, Waqar, Inzimam, Fazal

New Zealand:

Hadlee, Martin Crowe, Glenn Turner

All off the top of my head so pardon me for omissions.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Itd be better to make it post 1900 imo

Lots of really interesting players played from 1900-1914

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread is in response to some Wisden list innit?

So, we're allowing players which debuted before WWI?
We should include their cricket played before WW1 as well, if we weren't already. Maybe we were.

Even so, Trumper and Barnes

trundler

Itd be better to make it post 1900 imo

Lots of really interesting players played from 1900-1914
I am but a humble vessel for what the good people of CW want. If that's the prevailing opinion then so be it. I made it post war since it's been a hundred years since then.

In any case we mustn't stray into the 19th century as that is incomparable to the modern era and really deserves to gauged separately.

trundler

Also, should we do quotas for eras? Proportional to the number of matches played of course. This would raise the issue of classifying players in the appropriate era.

Cow

Banned
No player pre 1960'ish would be able to compete in today's game. Bradman, Hobbs etc would be awful in the current game. As would Pele in football and Jesse Owens in the 100m.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
No player pre 1960'ish would be able to compete in today's game. Bradman, Hobbs etc would be awful in the current game. As would Pele in football and Jesse Owens in the 100m.
Ok so Cow's comments have hereby become completely irrelevant, if they weren't already.