• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian team do you think will win in a 5 test series ?

Which team do you think will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think that the physical danger should be romanticised under the guise of masculinity, mind you. Not wearing a helmet is ****ing stupid, not brave. And bowling with Intent to injure is cowardice IMO. Fast bowling is great because it is the most testing and entertaining.
And one of the factors which makes it most testing is....?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Good point that he had a bit of everything. I come across a lot of cricket forums and old timers who claim Marshall was as fast as Akhtar or bowled at 150 kmph, I don't think so. He was brisk without being express fast and also had very diverse skills which made him the best.
No, Marshall was definitely express pace. Definitely

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervin' Mervyn was a classic example, such a lumbering unathletic approach but he could really crank things up on his day

Burgey

I'd say he looked as quick as Josh Hazlewood, pacy without being express.
Nah, he was regarded as the quickest bowler in the world for a while before Pat Paterson came along. He was certainly very quick early on, and very skiddy too. Had a wicked bouncer - ask Mike Gatting's nose.

Kirkut

International Regular
Nah, he was regarded as the quickest bowler in the world for a while before Pat Paterson came along. He was certainly very quick early on, and very skiddy too. Had a wicked bouncer - ask Mike Gatting's nose.
They were quick but not express. WI had no spinners to bowl 20-30 overs each and balance the workload of fast bowlers, so the quicks had to use their energies efficiently instead of bowling flat out fast like Shoaib Akhtar or Lenny Pascoe. That's why I compared his pace with Hazlewood, and no international batsman will ever tell you that Hazlewood is slow.

Burgey

Ok mate. You run with that, I'll stick with both having watched him when he first toured here through to his retirement, and with the views of those who played with and against him.

The WI quicks in that era didn't need a spinner to bowl 20-30 overs each because, firstly, they usually got teams out without having to worry about a spinner, and secondly there were no over rate penalties in play at that time which have led to the emasculation of the game in making playing a spinner almost always a necessity, so they'd bowl 65-75 overs a day and be done with it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Marshall looked like he could do virtually anything he wanted to with the ball. Like Akram at his peak, except Marshall had the better returns of obv.

OverratedSanity

They were quick but not express. WI had no spinners to bowl 20-30 overs each and balance the workload of fast bowlers, so the quicks had to use their energies efficiently instead of bowling flat out fast like Shoaib Akhtar or Lenny Pascoe. That's why I compared his pace with Hazlewood, and no international batsman will ever tell you that Hazlewood is slow.
They didn't really manage their workloads well though. Holding got injured very often.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The West Indies quicks all certainly were genuinely quick, even someone like Garner, who was said to be a touch slower than the rest, could still generate some real pace and hostility on occasion

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
The West Indies quicks all certainly were genuinely quick, even someone like Garner, who was said to be a touch slower than the rest, could still generate some real pace and hostility on occasion
Plus Garner's deliveries would more often than not spit up off the pitch in a nasty way due to his freakish height.