• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moeen Ali racially abused

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australian player in racist comment shocker.

If anyone thinks being called Osama is offensive, go into the comments section on the stories on Fox Sports etc. Australia is a racially-backward country, compared to the rest of the world. They're not changing, so no one should act too surprised.
Get in the bin

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Having a crack at someone's religion is inappropriate and nasty, but isn't racist. I've been called a few nasty things for being a Christian, but don't see that as race based.

Hypothetically if Usman K had said it, would it have been racist?

mr_mister

It clearly is racist but **** the posters saying our whole country is this or that. Maybe the old farts but most young people lean left

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Why is everybody saying it is ''racist'' when it had nothing to do with race, and indeed being Muslim has nothing to do with race either being that Islam is a proselyting religion. It would've been just as insulting if it was directed at a white (Muslim) man!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why is everybody saying it is ''racist'' when it had nothing to do with race, and indeed being Muslim has nothing to do with race either being that Islam is a proselyting religion. It would've been just as insulting if it was directed at a white (Muslim) man!
Oh god.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Perhaps it struck him that it was best not to publish the name of someone he might still play against in the future.

What's with all the mid career autobios? Surely you can wait till the end and get the whole lot done at once.
I agree with that but I think we all know the answer to that one. It isn't so much that they get cash from book sales per se but that they get cash from newspapers who serialize the juiciest portions of the book.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait for the hot takes "Muslims aren't a race so it wasn't technically racist"

Having a crack at someone's religion is inappropriate and nasty, but isn't racist. I've been called a few nasty things for being a Christian, but don't see that as race based.

Hypothetically if Usman K had said it, would it have been racist?

Yepp yepp yepp

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ehh, don't think he has a lot of form apart from that incident. He doesn't really strike me as a Starc kind of chirper, let alone a Warner one.
Nope, there's plenty more as well. Just ask Azhar or YK from the 2016 series. He's actually worse than Starc..a lot more bratty and rude.

Of course it's just standard behavior in his team and no worse than anyone else.. so that would explain why he never stood out.

Last edited:

stephen

The Harbhajan incident in 08 proves that there is not much point in reporting these things - you get hung out to dry by your cricket board (although maybe it's only CA that hates its players).

There's not much to gain by Moeen here by going public because he's now going to be getting all the victim blaming that seems too happen.

On the other hand, a single stupid comment does not and should not see someone tarred and feathered, but in today's society that's what happens.

I mean what if it was someone like Mike Hussey who said it in the heat of the moment (this is an example and I'm in no way implying Hussey was involved or would even do such a thing)? Would that one incident have automatically made him a bad person?

I'm personally inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt once out twice but if it's a repeated pattern that's when things become a problem. I have in the past said some racist/ ***ist/ homophobic/ mean spirited things which I'm most certainly not proud of and would not repeat today but it's not a pattern. We're all humans and make mistakes.

Which is why I think the whole Warner/ speak English thing was stupid but his being perma- banned from the leadership for sandpapergate was entirely justified.

Racism is horrible but I genuinely think branding people as racist is counterproductive. Saying that something they're doing is racist or at the very least offensive is productive because it's no longer about the individual's identity, it's about their actions. Identity is personal and cannot change but actions can be changed.

Like, I used to use a four letter abbreviation to describe Pakistanis until I learned that it is offensive in the UK.

I know that this is tangential to the actual topic but I think it's important to remember - attack actions, not identity. And if you'll notice, politicians use the opposite all the time - they try to skiing mud at the identity of their opposition (the left are a bunch of ivory tower academics who don't understand the real world/ the right are a bunch of dinosaurs who want us to go back to the 50s).

On this case, calling Moeen "Osama" was obviously intended to be highly offensive. This behaviour is unacceptable and the player who did so should be made to realise it. Labeling a player racist doesn't help anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.