• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best XI's ever put out in a test match by each country?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't say averaging 24 was kicking arse. Still a great player though.
Only 24? Hm, looks like I'll have to put my hand up here & admit to not having committed Flower's Shield average to memory. I based what I said off of one particular domestic one dayer where he went to town on the bowlers. Hit the ING sign that day IIRC (was probably one of the few times a smile creeped across his face).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For NZ it's an interesting debate between 3 eras,

1985 Perth 3rd Test, New Zealand tour of Australia at Perth, Nov 30 - Dec 4 1985 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Wright
Edgar
J F Reid
M D Crowe
J Crowe
J Coney *
Hadlee
Smith+
Bracewell
L Cairns
Chatfield

or 2001 in Perth 3rd Test, New Zealand tour of Australia at Perth, Nov 30 - Dec 4 2001 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Richardson
Vincent
Sinclair
Fleming*
Astle
McMillan
C Cairns
Parore +
Vettori
Bond
Martin

or 2017 (pretty this XI played together)

Latham
Raval
Williamson*
Taylor
Nicholls
de Grandhomme
Watling+
Santner
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Which is strongest?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Really tough call. 1985 is very strong, Hadlee & Chatfield are a tremendous opening pair. You'd also have to think Martin Snedden was hovering around the side at that time too.

I think 2017 has the best batting lineup.

2001 has probably the best balance overall, but I'll opt for 1985 based on their team synergy & historical record.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

1985 Perth 3rd Test, New Zealand tour of Australia at Perth, Nov 30 - Dec 4 1985 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Wright
Edgar
J F Reid
M D Crowe
J Crowe
J Coney *
Hadlee
Smith+
Bracewell
L Cairns
Chatfield

or 2001 in Perth 3rd Test, New Zealand tour of Australia at Perth, Nov 30 - Dec 4 2001 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Richardson
Vincent
Sinclair
Fleming*
Astle
McMillan
C Cairns
Parore +
Vettori
Bond
Martin

Latham
Raval
Williamson*
Taylor
Nicholls
de Grandhomme
Watling+
Santner
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Which is strongest?

As a neutral, I'd find it hard to argue against the side with Hadlee and M Crowe

TheJediBrah

2001 side almost beat Australia in that Test in Perth, which would have been one of the strangest series wins in history after first 2 tests ended in rain-affected draws despite Australia completely dominating

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the 2001 side comfortably
On paper the 2004 side that gave away winning positions to lose 3-0 in England could've been the best, but instead are what ifs. They had Oram and Styris as an improvement from Vincent and Sinclair in 01 and a young McCullum for Parore.

Bond was selected for the tour but didn't play due to injury.
Fleming played as an opener. If only they could've swapped Bond for Martin or Tuffey. The side for the 1st test was

Richardson
Fleming
Astle
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Cairns
McCullum
Vettori
Tuffey
Martin

Even with Chris Martin that is a very strong tail on paper

Last edited:

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Would probably go with the 2001 team - One of the very rare occasions Cairns, Bond, Vettori, Fleming, and Richardson were all playing at the same time.

Never saw the '85 team live, and the 2017 team didn't even play an away test.

Last edited:

Zinzan

On paper the 2004 side that gave away winning positions to lose 3-0 in England could've been the best, but instead are what ifs. They had Oram and Styris as an improvement from Vincent and Sinclair in 01 and a young McCullum for Parore.

Bond was selected for the tour but didn't play due to injury.
Fleming played as an opener. If only they could've swapped Bond for Martin or Tuffey. The side for the 1st test was

Richardson
Fleming
Astle
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Cairns
McCullum
Vettori
Tuffey
Martin

Even with Chris Martin that is a very strong tail on paper
Yeah good call.

If it wasn't for Robbie Hart, this side is pretty useful too.. 1st Test, India tour of New Zealand at Wellington, Dec 12-14 2002 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Richardson
Vincent
Fleming*
McMillan
Astle
Styris
Oram
Hart+
Vettori
Tuffey
Bond

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Shame Andrew Jones didn't debut earlier and be a part of 85 team instead of Crowe senior (I'm sure he could've batted 5 instead of 3) He was a great by NZ standards but didn't debut until 28 in 1987.

Having John F Reid, M Crowe, Jones and Coney (3-6) would make a fantastic middle order

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Or the side that beat Pakistan by an innings in the UAE (the Phil Hughes' test). Just need to swap Sodhi for Wagner

Latham
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Anderson
Vettori
Watling
Craig
Southee
Sodhi
Boult

_Ed_

2001 side almost beat Australia in that Test in Perth, which would have been one of the strangest series wins in history after first 2 tests ended in rain-affected draws despite Australia completely dominating
Tbf, we also got within 10 runs of winning the first test. It was thanks to a bold declaration, but still.

But, yeah, the second test was pretty ugly for us.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I was trying to find a test where Hunte-Weekes-Walcott-Worrell-Sobers-Kanhai all played

Found one with Weekes-Walcott-Worrell-Sobers-Kanhai, which is a better batting lineup than in their 80s heyday, but the bowling was pretty meh as it was slightly before Hall and Gibbs had debuted

I think from that era the best all round XI I could I find was this

5th test Port of Spain 1960

Hunte
McMorris
Alexander+
Sobers
Walcott
Worrell
Kanhai
Ramadhin
Hall
Griffith
Watson
What's surprising is that their 1957 XI for the last two Tests included Worrell, Weekes, Walcott, Sobers, Kanhai, Smith and Alexander, but they were bowled out for under 150 all four times and lost both games by an innings.

TheJediBrah

Tbf, we also got within 10 runs of winning the first test. It was thanks to a bold declaration, but still.

That's the key. It was a very one-sided game regardless.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Wright
Edgar
J F Reid
M D Crowe
J Crowe
J Coney *
Hadlee
Smith+
Bracewell
L Cairns
Chatfield

Richardson
Vincent
Sinclair
Fleming*
Astle
McMillan
C Cairns
Parore +
Vettori
Bond
Martin

Latham
Raval
Williamson*
Taylor
Nicholls
de Grandhomme
Watling+
Santner
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Which is strongest?
Probably the three best you could pic. It comes down to overall strength, I guess. Th 85 have two genuine ATG in Hadlee and Crowe, and then some very good players. The '01 probably has the most consistently 'very good' quality, with no out and out ATG players (considering Bond's hampered career) but probably has the better bowling attack considering Bond, Vettori, Cairns and Martin with handy part timers. The '17 version has an ATG contender in Williamson, NZ ATGs in Boult and Taylor, with Wagner on his way, and Southee as well. Honestly, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. The '17 team has the building blocks to become the clear cut ATG NZ side, but I'd probably give it to the 85 side ultimately.

Zinzan

True, but the funny thing about that series is that NZ didn't once get bowled out in any of their innings in the whole series :P

IIRC in the 3rd test, Jason Gillespie nicked one down the leg-side when Aust were 7 down, only to be given not-out which would have seen them 8 down with about 30 mins remaining.

Zinzan

Probably the three best you could pic. It comes down to overall strength, I guess. Th 85 have two genuine ATG in Hadlee and Crowe, and then some very good players. The '01 probably has the most consistently 'very good' quality, with no out and out ATG players (considering Bond's hampered career) but probably has the better bowling attack considering Bond, Vettori, Cairns and Martin with handy part timers. The '17 version has an ATG contender in Williamson, NZ ATGs in Boult and Taylor, with Wagner on his way, and Southee as well. Honestly, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. The '17 team has the building blocks to become the clear cut ATG NZ side, but I'd probably give it to the 85 side ultimately.
Yeah, I'm probably leaning that way.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 2001 side was probably stronger, but the 80s side actually beat Australia in Australia. Which is a little strange to think about but makes sense when you realise that the 80s Australia was garbage and the 2001 Australia was dominant.

Slifer

International Captain
Pardon me if I'm mistaken but didnt NZ draw a series in Australia in the early 2000s??

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
The 2001 side was probably stronger, but the 80s side actually beat Australia in Australia. Which is a little strange to think about but makes sense when you realise that the 80s Australia was garbage and the 2001 Australia was dominant.
Lol, you successfully managed to make a post about New Zealand teams all about Australia.