• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

ImpatientLime

International Regular
What an uninspiring bunch were interviewed for this selectors' job: Ed Smith, Derek Pringle, Mike Selvey and Mick Newell! Surely there are people more qualified? Two of them have three international caps. One of them has no international caps. Two of them are Middlesex, Straussy ''jobs for the boys'' types. One of them has already been a failure as a selector.
maybe those are the only blokes that applied?

that is usually how jobs work m8.

not everything is an andrew strauss lead conspiracy to destroy english cricket from within.

cnerd123

likes this
Why is it that everyone here can see that Vince is utterly rubbish and should be discarded forthwith but those who should be 'in the know' can't? I don't understand these things.
They see him in training, nets, team meetings. He probably demonstrates something there than we all can't see.

Dunno why you care so much about international caps
Don't you know that only those who have played international cricket are fit to understand it?

SeamUp

International Coach
I must say Ed Smith does look a Strauss type.

But who else would be a serious candidate now ? It seems like a certain generation is also considered too old.

Pringle and Selvey have been cricket writers and Newell has been involved directly in cricket the most out of all of them.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's not like a selectors job is a particularly attractive job (or at least attractive to 'inspired choices'). You've gotta be on the road most days of the summer watching county cricket- and the pay probably isn't that great.

I did think of Atherton 6 months before they sacked James Whitaker as someone who is a diligent and thinking writer and watcher of the game, and whilst he was seen as a pretty conservative player/captain, I think he's pretty open minded and open to different arguments judging by his writing. The fact is though he has a very comfortable job with sky and the times. He tours around watching england in nice locations overseas getting paid decent money. Give that up to trawl around the county grounds watching average cricket for 6 months a year and get abuse for your selections whilst getting paid less - hmm, probably not. He also hasn't really had a job inside cricket (coaching, management) since he retired so that would suggest someone who doesn't really want to get back into it.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

It's not like a selectors job is a particularly attractive job (or at least attractive to 'inspired choices'). You've gotta be on the road most days of the summer watching county cricket- and the pay probably isn't that great.

I did think of Atherton 6 months before they sacked James Whitaker as someone who is a diligent and thinking writer and watcher of the game, and whilst he was seen as a pretty conservative player/captain, I think he's pretty open minded and open to different arguments judging by his writing. The fact is though he has a very comfortable job with sky and the times. He tours around watching england in nice locations overseas getting paid decent money. Give that up to trawl around the county grounds watching average cricket for 6 months a year and get abuse for your selections whilst getting paid less - hmm, probably not. He also hasn't really had a job inside cricket (coaching, management) since he retired so that would suggest someone who doesn't really want to get back into it.
Sounds like my ideal job to be honest! Unless of course you find yourself at Grace Road during a rain affected.

I would have said somebody like Rob Key by the way. Knows the current county game like the back of his hand, a bit of test experience and is demonstrating that he is a good analyse on Sky. Of course your Athers/Nassers would be ideal if you could remove them from their lucrative sky contracts.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

The ''Middlesex Mafia''.

In other news pertaining to tv coverage, apparently Alison Mitchell has ousted Simon Hughes as anchor for Channel 5's highlights coverage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What an uninspiring bunch were interviewed for this selectors' job: Ed Smith, Derek Pringle, Mike Selvey and Mick Newell! Surely there are people more qualified? Two of them have three international caps. One of them has no international caps. Two of them are Middlesex, Straussy ''jobs for the boys'' types. One of them has already been a failure as a selector.
Newell never stood a chance; other three are all Cambridge University men. #jobsfortheboys

Borges

International Regular
Hmm... interesting.
So would this T16.67 be in addition to the English IPL? Or would it completely replace it?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf the concept of this big countdown to 100 sounds like a decent gimmick that could appeal to people new to cricket.

S.Kennedy

You could not amalgamate the statistics for this with normal twenty20 stats. It is basically a new format - just what cricket needs!
Hmm... interesting.
So would this T16.67 be in addition to the English IPL? Or would it completely replace it?
They are running this new 2020 (''2020'', get it) competition in addition to the current county T20 Blast. All I will say is the Aussies replaced the state T20 with their city based T20. The English believe they can have both!