• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time XIs discussion

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An interesting piece of statistical trivia - 6 bowlers have played between 70 and 80 tests for Australia. The only two bowlers who have played more tests than that are McGrath and Warne who have played 124 and 145 tests respectively.

They're massive outliers.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's easily better than Gillespie and Thomson as a bowler imo. Gillespie didn't step up enough when it was time for him to lead the attack imo and Thomson's prime was very short. Overall with his batting taken into account it's a no brainer.

OverratedSanity

On the other question, you'd probably have to go all the way down to Australia's K XI to find a bowler who wouldn't make India's first XI, which is pretty sad.

Victor Ian

International Coach
He's easily better than Gillespie and Thomson as a bowler imo. Gillespie didn't step up enough when it was time for him to lead the attack imo and Thomson's prime was very short. Overall with his batting taken into account it's a no brainer.
Ho do you conclude that? Takes less wickets per match at a lower strike rate and larger average. And all this when he was the only pace bowler of note while Gillespie had McGrath taking all his wickets.

Agreed that the all rounder aspect makes the decision much more likely though still pushing it to happen as part of a 4 man attack.

OverratedSanity

Ho do you conclude that? Takes less wickets per match at a lower strike rate and larger average. And all this when he was the only pace bowler of note while Gillespie had McGrath taking all his wickets.
Yeah he has a slight edge on those stats , but the difference in raw number of wickets and longevity is massive.

OverratedSanity

On the other question, you'd probably have to go all the way down to Australia's K XI to find a bowler who wouldn't make India's first XI, which is pretty sad.
Thinking about it, what's even sadder is that you'd have to go probably down to Australia's D to find a spinner who wouldn't be India's best ever.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Another question: Which Australian team does the Indian 1st XI beat in a series home away and neutral? I'm at C.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah he has a slight edge on those stats , but the difference in raw number of wickets and longevity is massive.
Another factor that plays for Kapil is that he had to take most of his wickets in India. I was only questioning the 'easily' part of what you wrote.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another question: Which Australian team does the Indian 1st XI beat in a series home away and neutral? I'm at C.
Probably somewhere between D and E. The Aus D team has some players who excelled overseas. And the Indian first XI is basically the team that toured in 02/03 and the only reason they were competitive was that Australia had a rubbish bowling attack. McDermott/Alderman is a very fine fast bowling unit.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
At home, India should beat Australia B which is probably comparable (or only slightly better) that the Australian team India did beat in 2001. With an ATG team, think India should beat Australia B at home.

Away is a far cry. I don't want to even make a guess.

Victor Ian

International Coach
At home, India should beat Australia B which is probably comparable (or only slightly better) that the Australian team India did beat in 2001. With an ATG team, think India should beat Australia B at home.

Away is a far cry. I don't want to even make a guess.
Also, I meant 3 test series, 1 of each. At home, I agree with you at B (could go either way). In Australia, they'd come into it at about E or F. Think 2002, only India has a better team and Australia's bowling was perhaps similar to F.

Victor Ian

International Coach
It would be a nightmare to work through, but it would be a bit of fun at the end to rank the top 5 teams of each country, in a sort of head to head battle. Maybe a sim could do it. Something that could produce a scorecard like I saw done once. (yeah - I'm dreaming)

a massive zebra

International Captain
If you were purely looking at pace bowlers, I'm inclined to agree with you, but do you really think Arthur Mailey, Colin McCool and Jack Saunders would make India's first XI?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It would be a nightmare to work through, but it would be a bit of fun at the end to rank the top 5 teams of each country, in a sort of head to head battle. Maybe a sim could do it. Something that could produce a scorecard like I saw done once. (yeah - I'm dreaming)
Dont worry, i have a couple of different plans once finished. I need help with the SIM though.