• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
The ODI game is unpredictable and a failure in a knockout match wouldn't invalidate the progress England have made over the last couple of years.

They have weaknesses of course, but on the whole, they're a fun side to watch regardless of whether they win the World Cup. They've just got to hope they can string a few good performances together at the crunch.

They've as good a chance as anyone, that's for sure.
Have you had a look at who's won the last 5 WCs? It's far from unpredictable.

My money is on India (45%), Australia (45%) or Pakistan (10%) winning.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ODI game is unpredictable and a failure in a knockout match wouldn't invalidate the progress England have made over the last couple of years.

They have weaknesses of course, but on the whole, they're a fun side to watch regardless of whether they win the World Cup. They've just got to hope they can string a few good performances together at the crunch.

They've as good a chance as anyone, that's for sure.
Exactly, there's not dead certs in ODI tournaments.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Series would have been over had Kane not messed up the finish in the third game.

The fact we've pushed England this far with so many passengers in the side is amusing.

Look forward to you choking again next year, the question is who will you fall against. India, Pakistan or Australia :ph34r:
Williamson was immense in Wellington on a tricky wicket. The next best was 49? England bowled well at the death. The rest of the batting underperformed. Fingering him for that loss is a travesty.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
No it really is. NZ were below-par granted, but it's not hard to see that England are clearly the far superior team.
If we get rid of the dead weight and play Kane and Taylor in all games, you really think we can't win? We've gotten this close with zero contributions from several players.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Williamson was immense in Wellington on a tricky wicket. The next best was 49? England bowled well at the death. The rest of the batting underperformed. Fingering him for that loss is a travesty.
I know it's harsh, but he really should have paced it better and finished the game @ 7 off 3.

Exactly, there's not dead certs in ODI tournaments.
When was the last time the favorite didn't win the WC? 92 (Pakistan) or 96 (Sri Lanka)?

Not sure who the favorite for 99 was, but I presume it was Australia?

I can assure you now one of India, Aus, Pakistan or England will win, half way through you should be able to pick the winner.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Much has been made of NZ's terrible batting in this series, but the bowlers have escaped scrutiny.

I reckon a bowling attack of Henry, Milne/Kugglejin, Ferguson, Astle, Anderson (5th), Worker (6th) is as good as the current lineup

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If only the performances of the two sides in this game had been completely reversed; then NZ would have won the match and the series

Days of Grace

International Captain
I know it's harsh, but he really should have paced it better and finished the game @ 7 off 3.

When was the last time the favorite didn't win the WC?

I can ensure you now one of India, Aus, Pakistan or England will win, half way through you should be able to pick the winner.
You could argue Australia in 1999, definitely Sri Lanka in 1992.

In fact, from 1983 to 1999 the World Cup was won by some team other than the favorite.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
So you think a NZ side with Kane and Taylor together and competent players around them is clearly below England? Because we've played Kane and Taylor 3 times this series yet we've still managed to win 2 games with little else from any other batsmen. Because if we had players around them actually contributing and taking some of the pressure off them, we'd definitely be a better unit.
We actually only had both Williamson and Taylor both in the side twice this series - the first and fourth games - and won both.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats England.
I know it would never happen, but hypothetically it would be interesting to see today's NZ XI play a fit and mentally switched on:

Worker
Devcich
Ryder
Taylor
Neesham
Anderson
Seifert (wk)
Astle
Henry
Milne
Ferguson

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats England.
I know it would never happen, but hypothetically it would be interesting to see today's NZ XI play a fit and mentally switched on:

Worker
Devcich
Ryder
Taylor
Neesham
Anderson
Seifert (wk)
Astle
Henry
Milne
Ferguson
Haha.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Has Ryder been blacklisted forever? Because we could sure do with some international level batsmen.... we're not exactly a country that can afford to be picky.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Has Ryder been blacklisted forever? Because we could sure do with some international level batsmen.... we're not exactly a country that can afford to be picky.
He’ll never be back while Hesson is coach. And to be honest, that’s fair enough. Ryder proved to be a consistently disruptive presence while part of the team, and I’ve heard nothing in the past 4 years to suggest that he’s changed at all. The fact that Essex don’t want a bar of him anymore and he keeps hopping from one domestic side to another leads me to suspect he’s the same old Jesse.

An you know what, I strongly suspect that he’s just not the player he was a decade ago. He’s spent too long wallowing in the cesspools of mediocrity that are NZ domestic and county cricket. I really don’t think he’d bring much more to the side than Munro does.