• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

91Jmay

International Coach
England are good, but I don't think they've played exceptionally well in the games they've won.

This and the second game were handed to them by some really poor batting in the first innings on good tracks. The third was a game we should have really won as well.

We were completely outclassed by SA and beaten by a stronger team against Aus in the T20, it isn't the case this series. This feels more like us not performing than England being a lot better than us. England haven't had to win a game, we've given it to them.
I mean, we've completely smashed you here. We've also thrown both games we've lost, think there is quite a gulf between the sides. Ross Taylor essentially papered over the cracks a little.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
England are good, but I don't think they've played exceptionally well in the games they've won.

This and the second game were handed to them by some really poor batting in the first innings on good tracks. The third was a game we should have really won as well.

We were completely outclassed by SA and beaten by a stronger team against Aus in the T20s, it isn't the case this series. This feels more like us not performing than England being a lot better than us. England haven't had to win a game, we've given it to them.
England is the best ODI side in the world right now. Period.

Spark

Global Moderator

We were completely outclassed by SA and beaten by a stronger team against Aus in the T20s, it isn't the case this series. This feels more like us not performing than England being a lot better than us. England haven't had to win a game, we've given it to them.
If anything, this is even stronger evidence that England is a lot lot better, if they haven't had to play particularly well by their standards to win comfortably?

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
I mean, we've completely smashed you here. We've also thrown both games we've lost, think there is quite a gulf between the sides. Ross Taylor essentially papered over the cracks a little.
I thought that was the case before the series, but nah. I even had England among the favorites, but after seeing more of this England team, I'll be surprised if you make the Final next year. Any of the other favorites will knock them out, you probably know it as well.

I'm aware of our weaknesses, I actually thought we'd lose 1-4 or 0-5. The fact we pushed you this far and probably should have won this series had it not been some poor game management from Kane doesn't look great for England. Especially with one of Kane or Taylor sitting out 3 games, this series has shown how important both of them are to NZ with how fragile our middle order is.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought that was the case before the series, but nah. I even had England among the favorites, but after seeing more of this England team, I'll be surprised if you make the Final next year. Any of the other favorites will knock them out

I've aware of our weaknesses, I actually thought we'd lose 1-4 or 0-5. The fact we pushed you this far and probably should have won this series had it not been some poor game management from Kane doesn't look great for England. Especially with one of Kane or Taylor sitting out 3 games.
Yeah but if absolutely everything went NZ's way, we could have won 3-2 at best, whereas if everything had gone England's way, they could have won 5-0... 4-1 would probably be a fair result and fair representation of these sides.

91Jmay

International Coach
I thought that was the case before the series, but nah. I even had England among the favorites, but after seeing more of this England team, I'll be surprised if you make the Final next year. Any of the other favorites will knock them out

I've aware of our weaknesses, I actually thought we'd lose 1-4 or 0-5. The fact we pushed you this far and probably should have won this series had it not been some poor game management from Kane doesn't look great for England. Especially with one of Kane or Taylor sitting out 3 games, this series has shown how important both of them are to NZ.
I am not really sure how you can contrive the bolded, but ok.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Yeah but if absolutely everything went NZ's way, we could have won 3-2 at best, whereas if everything had gone England's way, they could have won 5-0... 4-1 is probably a fair result and fair representation of these sides.
Not everything went our way, all we needed is better game management from Kane to win the third. He didn't show any urgency towards the end. Even with it, 7 off 3 is very much do-able.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
I said 'if' everything went our way.
Yeah because our batsmen completely bombed the other two games on good surfaces.

England aren't exactly known for their bowling either, that's actually a weaker point for them. Our batsmen have simply batted really poorly this series.

This isn't one those series where you say, 'ah, we were beaten by a better side." it feels more like a missed opportunity. It's actually given me hope that this side can beat stronger sides once the under-performers are removed for more consistent players and we have both Kane and Taylor there to anchor the innings. I thought we were well below the top sides, but the gap isn't as wide as I first thought. It's either that or England just aren't as good as everyone thinks, this series for me has shown it's a bit of both.

They're a good side, but far from the runaway best side in the world. I'd still put India, Australia and Pakistan ahead of them as favorites for the WC.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Not everything went our way, all we needed is better game management from Kane to win the third. He didn't show any urgency towards the end. Even with it, 7 off 3 is very much do-able.
As do-able as defending 34 from 3 overs with Santner and Southee batting .... so both teams had one winnable match they couldn't finish off.

Has been a little like the Saffers series last summer, NZ with 2 wins from tight game and one epic solo innings, the other side clearly much better but only 3 wins.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
As do-able as defending 34 from 3 overs with Santner and Southee batting .... so both teams had one winnable match they couldn't finish off.

Has been a little like the Saffers series last summer, NZ with 2 wins from tight game and one epic solo innings, the other side clearly much better but only 3 wins.
SA always were the stronger side, here we've won 2 out of 3 with Kane and Taylor playing. I never thought we could beat SA as their players are generally on a higher level than our players. In this series England have looked their for the taking. We've managed to push them this far with an out of sorts Guptill and on/off Taylor and Williamson who have only managed to played 3 games together this series.

Last edited:

robbypark

U19 Debutant
Yeah because our batsmen completely bombed the other two games on good surfaces.

England aren't exactly known for their bowling either, that's actually a weaker point for them. Our batsmen have simply batted really poorly this series.

This isn't one those series where you say, 'ah, we were beaten by a better side." it feels more like a missed opportunity. It's actually given me hope that this side can beat stronger sides once the under-performers are removed for more consistent players and we have both Kane and Taylor there to anchor the innings. I thought we were well below the top sides, but the gap isn't as wide as I first thought. It's either that or England just aren't as good as everyone thinks, this series for me has shown it's a bit of both.

They're a good side, but far from the runaway best side in the world. I'd still put India, Australia and Pakistan ahead of them as favorites for the WC.
Lol funny stuff. Australia who England pounded 4-1 in Australia without Stokes. And Pakistan who were swept by NZ who aren't anywhere near England's level.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain

So you think a NZ side with Kane and Taylor together and competent players around them is clearly below England? Because we've played Kane and Taylor 3 times this series yet we've still managed to win 2 games with little else from any other batsmen. Because if we had players around them actually contributing and taking some of the pressure off them, we'd definitely be a better unit.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Lol funny stuff. Australia who England pounded 4-1 in Australia without Stokes. And Pakistan who were swept by NZ who aren't anywhere near England's level.
A far weaker Pakistan knocked this England team out on their way to winning the CT. They may have lost here, but they showed a lot tbh. Come WC time they will be tough to beat.

Australia are 5 time world champions and will put together a formidable XI for the WC. It's foolish to write off the Aussies when they rarely play a full strength ODI XI.

Both are tournament teams who I'd wager on beating you come crunch time, you probably would too.

It's a 4 team race between India, Australia, Pakistan and England. I put the other 3 ahead as they tend to show up for tournaments and handle the pressure, England do not. Although on paper they're stronger than India and Pakistan and about par with a full strength Australian team.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ODI game is unpredictable and a failure in a knockout match wouldn't invalidate the progress England have made over the last couple of years.

They have weaknesses of course, but on the whole, they're a fun side to watch regardless of whether they win the World Cup. They've just got to hope they can string a few good performances together at the crunch.

They've as good a chance as anyone, that's for sure.