• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Was it Gavin Larsen? Sounds like something that dopey prick would say. Williamson was playing first class cricket not long after turning 17, Ravindra at a full year older right now hasn’t even managed a game yet. Heck, by the time Williamson was 19 he was the best batsman in domestic cricket. That’s a lot of catching up to do in the next year......

Williamson was God like as a teenager, like he was 100 times better than the next best batsman you knew and that was no lie. If Ravindra is indeed better than Williamson at the same age then somebody needs to be sacked ASAP because he should be playing now
Ha, ha.
This is actually true though.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Rachin will at least make a career of it for NZ tho because I don't think his old man will allow anything less.

nzfan

Was it Gavin Larsen? Sounds like something that dopey prick would say. Williamson was playing first class cricket not long after turning 17, Ravindra at a full year older right now hasn’t even managed a game yet. Heck, by the time Williamson was 19 he was the best batsman in domestic cricket. That’s a lot of catching up to do in the next year......

Williamson was God like as a teenager, like he was 100 times better than the next best batsman you knew and that was no lie. If Ravindra is indeed better than Williamson at the same age then somebody needs to be sacked ASAP because he should be playing now
No it wasn't Gavin Larsen, I won't be calling him great or stalwart. This is why I didn't want to quote the names :-) Won't be correct to mention the names as it was said in confidence. If Ravindra does end up as special as they think I will then reveal the names. That is if we are still on the forums and following cricket. As much as I hate to put labels and compare, you never know these are some serious folks that have played cricket and I wouldn't doubt their acumen. What they see in close quarters compared to us watching on telly could be very different. I personally haven't see as much evidence to agree with their opinion but it wasn't just them. There was one with the Mumbai Indians coaching staff texting me saying NZ have unearthed a Vettori like bowlers during the NZ 19s and Windies game and asked me to check out Ravindra's bowling. During the SA Under 19s game a South African player messaged me saying this guy is an absolute gun. I guess each to their own and it's in the eyes of beholder. The thing is those that have played at the highest level for good number of years judge by a different parameter as against us mere folks. For them it's beyond runs and wickets. Maybe technical aspects? Maybe execution style? They judge differently. I would love them to be true though, why not if we produce world beaters?

I didn't follow much of Kane Williamson's career early on but knew he was an absolute gun at a very young age. Harry Boam was also thought to be a serious player then. Strange things happen with time, having ability is one thing but to deliver over good number of years is not necessarily easy. Also I don't think U19 should be considered a barometer. The number of kids that come and go is alarming. Take the Indian captain from the 2012 world cup for example, he scored a hundred in a finals and was thought to be the next in line great for Indian cricket. He's not gone anywhere since. Corey Andreson was as good as Kane if not better during the 19s. Not entirely sure but Corey was the youngest ever to have a contract and that from Canterbury. Corey Andreson has had good success but won't go to the level of saying he's been best. I thought Jimmy Neesham was going to be a great but his career is at loggerheads at the moment.

Last edited:

nzfan

Firebirds have started well today, just been tidy with the ball. Chapman and Phillips doing the damage control now. The Auckland batting is rather looking not very strong on the paper. Meanwhile Otago batsmen going through some not so good form.57/5 Tickner bowling gas.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Update from the City vs. Hutt three-dayer. Getting so dry in Wellington, Raki's batting methods are actually starting to thrive on club pitches a little bit. Just getting on the front foot and letting the hands go through.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Quality bullying from Tickner. Any chance the Invercargill groundsman can get a promotion to do Uni Oval from now on?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Leopard looks faster than i remember from under 19 days
Could well be, he used to jump out wide as he hit the crease, like early Kuggeleijn. Remember though that bowling towards the camera tends to add the illusion of an extra yard.

nzfan

Damn... I jinxed the firebirds. Now Auckland has upper hand 169/3 after 34. Chapman playing an amazing inning, 200 up for grabs for him. Let me see if that jinxes him :-)

I still think the Basin is a 320+ deck and very surprising why Luke Woodcock isn't bowling. You'd think his bowling is way ahead of Younghusband. Michael Bracewell has had a bowl but not Woodcock.

Last edited:

nzfan

Update from the City vs. Hutt three-dayer. Getting so dry in Wellington, Raki's batting methods are actually starting to thrive on club pitches a little bit. Just getting on the front foot and letting the hands go through.
He's not a bad player Raki is he? Where does he stand in the scheme of things for Firebirds? He's been scoring plenty of runs this season and so is Troy Johnson. There are still contracted players not getting game time for firebirds so not sure where do these two lads stand in the pecking order.

Flem274*

123/5
in light of this lone centurion effort to keep his team in the game, let us all take a moment to remember mark chapman is not in competition for a new zealand middle order spot because his bowling isn't good enough

nzfan

in light of this lone centurion effort to keep his team in the game, let us all take a moment to remember mark chapman is not in competition for a new zealand middle order spot because his bowling isn't good enough
What do you mean? He's not a bad bowler but why is his bowling a topic here? He's a bloody good bat.

Howsie

International Captain
What do you mean? He's not a bad bowler but why is his bowling a topic here? He's a bloody good bat.
Haha, you must’ve missed the article a few weeks back where Hesson explained why he hadn’t made the team.

I like Blair Tickner, quite raw obvs, no where near the finished product (you’d hope anyway) But he’s a big lad who bowls at 140 plus with nice bounce. He probably deserves a run with the 20/20 team but he’s probably got to improve his batting for that to happen.....

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Stanlake would probably laugh if Tickner got the nod as a bolter over here. Those two may well have been in the same nets for Gold Coast CC back in 2013/14.

Napier-born Tickner spent a decade in the Gold Coast after his family emigrated there when he was a youngster.

He returned to the Bay late in 2015 after he met fellow Ruahine Motors Central Hawke's Bay cricketer Angus Schaw while the pair were playing against each other in Cambridge, England.

Over a few beers Schaw convinced the former Taradale Cricket Club age-group member to return to his birth region to play for CHB.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How many times has he does this...it's like a knack, when his teammates score FA he goes massive. His hundreds (I'm only using random memories here) seem to be when no one else scores more than 30.

I have a new theory on why someone like Anaru gets picked for NZ, bear with me it might be a stretch. It's to provide incentive to guys to stay in FC cricket, to ensure the veterans and 'hard edge' remains on the scene to give young guys something to play against. If they see Anaz get picked at 33 despite a pretty average record, they're motivated to keep going until their mid-30s, whereas a lot of them would see it as a dead-end street past 30 if not being picked. Course, if these guys are getting picked ahead of the young guys it kinda defeats the purpose...just a thought. Can't see any other reason.