• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Death hitting is something we need to be very focused on going forward. They're obviously set on Colin de doing it, I don't imagine they'd let him bat above 7 unless he scored an absolute mountain of runs and couldn't be ignored. Who's going to hit at the death in 2019 WC and 2020 T20? There's nothing of any great potential in our squad at present, Colin apart.

So Clarkson, Cleaver (with gloves), Chapman etc need to start being given the right opportunities to be those people. We're feeble at it.
Yeah. I put the 'hate' in single quotes.

Agree though. Leading up to 2015 the Edgar selection team brought in loads of players across formats building up depth. They all seemed to raise to the occasion and put pressure on from below.

Even the maligned crew before Edgar (who I can't remember who it was) introduced McClenaghan, Munro etc in the doomed Saffa tour.

I think this crew is too stubborn. They had success with CDG. But I'm not seeing much coherent method. For instance - Even me as an Astle fan is confused by what they're doing with Sodhi.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah. I put the 'hate' in single quotes.

Agree though. Leading up to 2015 the Edgar selection team brought in loads of players across formats building up depth. They all seemed to raise to the occasion and put pressure on from below.

Even the maligned crew before Edgar (who I can't remember who it was) introduced McClenaghan, Munro etc in the doomed Saffa tour.

I think this crew is too stubborn. They had success with CDG. But I'm not seeing much coherent method. For instance - Even me as an Astle fan is confused by what they're doing with Sodhi.
Yep, it's definitely the methodology around selection that is baffling. Mind you, that's a massive concern across the Tasman as well - guys like Ed Cowan being overlooked with a mountain of runs because of his age, whilst Tim Paine (who played in the same U19 set up as Cowan) being brought back in with a mediocre record.

Not suggesting it's an easy job, it's not. And I've poopooed a lot of selections that have turned out well. But the Chapman one has me ****ed. When Anaru was picked, I'd have laid down my mortgage he was going to get the summer, make little or no runs, then probably never play for NZ again. And Chapman will be picked in 2018-19, delaying his progression by 12 months ahead of a World Cup or World T20. When clearly he is the best #5 LO batsman not playing for NZ at the start of this summer.

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket Hong Kong have just registered a profile for Anton Devchic on CricHQ

If this is you ****s trying to trade us for Mark Chapman you all can **** right off

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cricket Hong Kong have just registered a profile for Anton Devchic on CricHQ

If this is you ****s trying to trade us for Mark Chapman you all can **** right off
Maybe he just signed for a Blitz team?

I don't think he's eligible for the national team in any way.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea possibly he's a late joiner to the Blitz team, although the Blitz Team's have their own CricHQ clubs, I don't see why he'd be registered to the CHK Club Page if that was the case.

My guess is he's more likely to come down and work with the CHK Dragons or something, play some club games here, hence they've set his profile up.

It's all very curious...

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

City kids getting a bit fidgety and feeling like they're squandering their summers with this horrible 'three straight days of cricket' concept. Saffers and Indians (Travis Muller and Deepak Joon) again on hand to take advantage of their weak constitutions.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope, Lauchie Johns fought for the counter-attacking draw. Ravindra following Vettori into a strong preference for the first innings over the second, obvs.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall was taken out to the woodhouse by the Firebirds today, after all. Macewell captaining, Conway opening the batting.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Uh oh, Kitchen with four overs for just nine. Team Chapman shaking their fists at Seifert for this.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Gee, sorry Lesson. Guess you'll make SteveNZ eat his hat, very soon.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A really nice and tight pitch map from Jamie Brown again. A bit of a new Matt Henry of the comp looming, before they demanded more fashionable flavours than vanilla from Henry.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Uh oh, Kitchen with four overs for just nine. Team Chapman shaking their fists at Seifert for this.
Haha the dumbest thing about it all wasn't so much that Kitchen's bowling was being over-rated, but that he barely bowled anyway. I would tend to agree with the selectors that Kitchen's bowling is a step up from Chapman's at this stage, but it just didn't matter within the context of the squad.

Kitchen has played five T20Is and only bowled in three of them, and only once actually bowled more than a solitary over.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The whole Kitchen thing was very confusing, from the moment the commentators introduced him as 'spin bowler Anaru Kitchen' in his first couple of matches. It was so wtf, he's been a batsman his whole career and then is brought into the T20 side as maybe a bowler, maybe a batsman, but who really knows?

Blain

U19 Captain
Chapman has 2 wickets, he's winning the battle!!

Also Neesham captain, eeehhhh?

When's Bracewell going to start scoring runs.. He's been bad this year, should be dropped for a T Johnson like young talent..

Last edited:

nzfan

Watching the firebirds at the Basin. Started really well with Murdoch and Nofal looking in excellent touch. They made batting look quite easy and then there were some shots that just pulled the lads back. Murdoch was unlucky though you'd say Patel out witted him with the flick to the stumps. Nofal tried to up the rate and came down the wrong line. Bracewell played a glorious straight drive, probably the best shot of the day and then pulled one that got big on him. I thought 300+ was on the way Murdoch and Nofal were going. Maybe it made sense for Conway to bat in the middle overs. Can't expect a Younghusband and Newton magic every game. Woodcock the lone warrior at the moment. I really think Woodcock should be batting up the order maybe even open the inning. It's not like we have bashers at the top that score at over 10 rpo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wellington have really lost their way this innings. CD's bowling is pretty good though; Milne seems back to his hard-to-score-from ways.

Second List A hundred for Kelly - this might be the season he starts to get consistent results at domestic level.

nzfan

The good thing for Wellington is we don't have to win, just keep batting 50 overs and even if we don't win a thing Otago and Caterbury will get us into the play offs. Once in the play offs it's anyone's game anyways. Otago have just about gone out of contention with the number of runs they've give now. All we need now is Aces to beat Canterbury.

The Hutt Rec

Wellington have been pretty awful ever since Bennett got injured.

Bracewell has been a big disappointment all season.

Hopefully the return to the Plunket Shield brings back the early season form ... the return of Papps will help, and fingers crossed Bennett does recover from his mystery injury.