• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top ten greatest bowlers and batsmen of all time

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bro let it go. Viv is an atg and worthy of being in the discussion for 2nd best. He averaged 50 and struck at 70. But more than that, he averaged 40+ home and away everywhere (except nz 3 tests!!!). Also, he averaged 50 away from home and 48 across all test innings. There wasn't a great fast bowler during viv's time who didn't feel the weight of his bat at some point. Sachin/bcl never averaged 50+ in a series vs ww or donald for example. You're welcome to say this person or that person was better but please dont start this crap that viv is not worthy of being considered 2nd best to the Don.
He's really not, when you compare him to other contenders up there i.e Sobers, Hobbs, Tendulkar he falls short. I'm sorry but you don't play that mediocre for that length of time and amount of tests and get a free pass because of what else you did in your career.

Slifer

International Captain
Well I guess u know better than most here on cw and most pundits who hold sir Viv in very high regard...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The way Viv used to back away against the fast bowlers and hit them over cover was something else. Esp to bowlers like Thommo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yep. I don’t remember anyone else in that era hitting bombs over long off and cover like Viv did. He’s the most destructive batsman I’ve ever seen, by miles. Imagine the dough he’d make in the modern era and in the ipl.

Slifer

International Captain
Haha yep. I don’t remember anyone else in that era hitting bombs over long off and cover like Viv did. He’s the most destructive batsman I’ve ever seen, by miles. Imagine the dough he’d make in the modern era and in the ipl.
Those in south Africa pretty much offered him a blank check to play there, but he refused. Pretty much says all you need to know if the man. He was an arrogant sob and rubbed some the wrong way but at least he had pride and generally knew right from wrong.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I want to be clear here, I'm not saying Viv wasn't a great batsman, he was, one of the best the West Indies produced. But he's just not up there with the very top tier below Bradman.
FFS. Yes, he is.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Doubt it. He was that passionate about representing the WIs.
True and I'd like to believe that myself, but he would have been born into a completely different age where cricketers, especially West Indian cricketers, put money before patriotism.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well you've convinced me.
You convince me why he isn't.

Convince me why the people who put him in the Wisden all time world test XI are wrong.

Convince me why the people who put him in the Wisden 5 greatest cricketers of all time are wrong.

Why the Espncricinfo All Time XI selectors are wrong.

Why Dickie Bird was wrong to include him in his all time XI.

As was Richie Benaud.

As was Ian Chappell...

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm glad that Viv doesn't play on the modern era. Mostly because if he did he would almost certainly seriously injure someone in the crowd when he hit the ball.