• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
8 teams compete in the Dewar Shield, which is the premier club Rugby competition in Melbourne. There are three divisions I think. The Melbourne Rebels are the Super Rugby franchise.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No issue with the odd well directed bouncer at a tail ender; if you can smack him on the head/upper body then you'll likely mess up his already mediocre footwork which is why the smart thing is to follow it up with something full.

A bouncer barrage aimed at tail enders is not on and is something that needs enforced.

Yup. Wasn't it the great Ray Lindwall who criticised a younger Aus quick (maybe Alan Davidson, but I'm not 100% sure) for bouncing a tailender. Something along the liens of why wasn't he good enough to dismiss the guy using other means?

micz

Cricket Spectator
To further add to England's conundrum of working out how to dismiss Steve Smith, he averages 127 at the MCG - scoring a century in each of the last three matches there. Also forecast for some rain day 4 and 5 which will only make it more interesting.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Not sure the helmet would do its intended job in that case. Care to give more details?
Basically, they could make a space helmet. But it would get hot. Essentially, the helmet needs a full overhaul. Get an ergonomics engineer to make something that is wearable, protects the whole head, has great visibility and is not hot. I'm just surprised how little the helmet has evolved. Someone dies and all they do is tape some sponge on the back. They can do this. Then the bouncer rule would be a non issue. They concentrate on bats. The next advance to give batsmen further unfair advantage will be practical body Armour. (Why does this capitalize armour)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup. Wasn't it the great Ray Lindwall who criticised a younger Aus quick (maybe Alan Davidson, but I'm not 100% sure) for bouncing a tailender. Something along the liens of why wasn't he good enough to dismiss the guy using other means?
It was the great Ray Lindwall who once came to bitterly regret bouncing Frank Tyson wasn't it?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No issue with the odd well directed bouncer at a tail ender; if you can smack him on the head/upper body then you'll likely mess up his already mediocre footwork which is why the smart thing is to follow it up with something full.

A bouncer barrage aimed at tail enders is not on and is something that needs enforced.
To bounce a tailender who has scored 10 runs all series was piss weak. I don't care that he's Jimmy Anderson, who no one likes. That contact was not a million miles away from the temple. Would that have been worth it for a serious injury when victory was already imminent?

I don't care if Australians think the Phil Hughes thing is sacrosanct. If you're the Australian captain, and you say you miss him, yet you're a willing participant and public advocate for bouncing #11s in completely unnecessary circumstances, then you're not really missing him enough. No issue bouncing tailenders who've been around the crease a bit camping on the front foot, or in tighter situations, but Cummins' effort was bull**** and deserved stronger calling out on. Plus saying pre-series you're going to try to hurt people and get into them with short pitched balls is vulgar. Just do it if you're going to do it, if you're as quick and mean as you say you are it shouldn't need previewing to intimidate.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Thing is Anderson is correct that there is a big drop-off in quality from Australia's front-line bowlers, not forgetting James Pattinson here, but what does that say about England where you look beyond Anderson, Broad and Ali, the latter two of which have been woeful this Ashes and candidates for 'the drop', and see utter confusion: no pace, rubbish spin and untested youngsters, etc etc.

TNT

Banned
To bounce a tailender who has scored 10 runs all series was piss weak. I don't care that he's Jimmy Anderson, who no one likes. That contact was not a million miles away from the temple. Would that have been worth it for a serious injury when victory was already imminent?

I don't care if Australians think the Phil Hughes thing is sacrosanct. If you're the Australian captain, and you say you miss him, yet you're a willing participant and public advocate for bouncing #11s in completely unnecessary circumstances, then you're not really missing him enough. No issue bouncing tailenders who've been around the crease a bit camping on the front foot, or in tighter situations, but Cummins' effort was bull**** and deserved stronger calling out on. Plus saying pre-series you're going to try to hurt people and get into them with short pitched balls is vulgar. Just do it if you're going to do it, if you're as quick and mean as you say you are it shouldn't need previewing to intimidate.
Australia do care and have a competition just for you and the poms.

http://mncjcc.nsw.cricket.com.au/files/15121/files/Game formats/Kanga Cricket.pdf

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you ignore all the bowlers who actually played, it's not an impressive attack at all. I can see his point.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Thing is Anderson is correct that there is a big drop-off in quality from Australia's front-line bowlers, not forgetting James Pattinson here, but what does that say about England where you look beyond Anderson, Broad and Ali, the latter two of which have been woeful this Ashes and candidates for 'the drop', and see utter confusion: no pace, rubbish spin and untested youngsters, etc etc.
I just don't see the justification for saying it. The drop-off to Pattinson and Coulter-Nile isn't great, just they happen to be injured. Bird is a better bowler than Overton or Ball. Sayers probably is an equal. And depth isn't relevant when the same guys stay fit and get you to 3-0, allowing Starc to not have to play. I found it a really silly thing to say. England lacked depth in 05, so? They played 12 guys all series, who were all outstanding.

Gob

International Coach
Da faq is this dangerous bowling whinging? The simple fact here is that the chances of dismissing the tail enders with short stuff is far greater than bowling full hence they are implementing that and i'd be shocked if there is any harmful motive behind the use of short ball. I'm pretty sure some one like Broad would happily tuck in to full bowls and could do a considerable damage. I don't endorse macho cricket well i did but it was never the same since November 2014 but this is simply different matter.

TheJediBrah

Da faq is this dangerous bowling whinging? The simple fact here is that the chances of dismissing the tail enders with short stuff is far greater than bowling full hence they are implementing that and i'd be shocked if there is any harmful motive behind the use of short ball. I'm pretty sure some one like Broad would happily tuck in to full bowls and could do a considerable damage. I don't endorse macho cricket well i did but it was never the same since November 2014 but this is simply different matter.
They overdid at times though. You don't need to bowl 4 or 5 bouncers an over.

Burgey

It was the great Ray Lindwall who once came to bitterly regret bouncing Frank Tyson wasn't it?
Yep. Probably the most regrettable targeting of a tail ender until Barry Knight bowled a Beamer to Jeff Thomson in grade cricket in 1972.

I don’t have an issue with a bit of short stuff at tail enders, but where do you draw the line is the tough question to answer. Lee to Tudor in Perth was a disgrace, but I suppose the fielding team would say the bloke has a test 90. Same with Broad I guess - he has a test 160, but he looks clueless nowadays.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep. Probably the most regrettable targeting of a tail ender until Barry Knight bowled a Beamer to Jeff Thomson in grade cricket in 1972.

I don’t have an issue with a bit of short stuff at tail enders, but where do you draw the line is the tough question to answer. Lee to Tudor in Perth was a disgrace, but I suppose the fielding team would say the bloke has a test 90. Same with Broad I guess - he has a test 160, but he looks clueless nowadays.
Didn't Tudor foolishly decide he was going to unleash some bouncers on Lee during the Australian innings? I'm sure I read just recently that it formed part of the English team's tactics. If so, his issue should be more with his captain (undoubtedly a better batsman than he was), than with Lee. There's no way you'd expect to bounce another bowler and then not get it back. When it's a bloke who bowls 150-160kph, my choice would be to not bounce him personally.