• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If Smith wins the toss he will have a good chance to bat them out of it. I don't expect England can respond to that sort of scoreboard pressure.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man Slats was so good on the radio this morning talking about Handscomb being so deep in his crease and where he reckons he should take his stance if he’s going to play off the back foot so much

Tangles

Man Slats was so good on the radio this morning talking about Handscomb being so deep in his crease and where he reckons he should take his stance if he’s going to play off the back foot so much
Playing back without a big stride forward isn't unique but he is way too deep in the crease atm. He should split the crease at worst or have his back foot on it. No idea if he was that deep last year when broke into the team.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbf I think it's worth mentioning that Cook and some of the other English bats are batting almost as deep in the crease as Handjob. With similar levels of success too.

Burgey

Playing back without a big stride forward isn't unique but he is way too deep in the crease atm. He should split the crease at worst or have his back foot on it. No idea if he was that deep last year when broke into the team.
Yes I’m aware of that. He was taking about the idea of batting further forward to both negate movement and also to minimise lbw decisions if he’s beaten by pace on the inside edge. He said he found when batting that it was actually better to move out of your crease if someone was really rapid, even though that sounds counter intuitive.

Tangles

I think with drs the modern batsman is adding risk by sitting deep. So many more lbws are being given now.

Gnske

Just as deep. Got a hit wicket too after all.

Daemon

They did a good analysis on BT I think of this exact issue as well. Definitely needs to work on it.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Wonder if Mark Wood has done enough to get picked. You'd think Perth and Melbourne would suit him most.
there are two issues with this...

he's nowhere near as quick as some people have convinced themselves. bloke operated in the low to mid 80s most of the last english summer.
but most importantly, he's ****.

S.Kennedy

there are two issues with this...

he's nowhere near as quick as some people have convinced themselves. bloke operated in the low to mid 80s most of the last english summer.
but most importantly, he's ****.
''Most'' of the English summer? He barely featured through injury.

Starfighter

Seeing some things being said about the place about Wood supposedly 'bowling himself into contention'. If 2/25 and getting carted at six an over is good enough I think it shows how low England's expectations are.

fredfertang

If Wood is at 90% of his full pace and he can find the other 10 then he should play at Perth, for Broad

If nothing else that should rile Broad and mean a shed load of wickets for him in the dead rubbers

Tannhauser

Cricket Spectator
England need at the very least a performance this week or, to put it bluntly, they are going to start losing fans.

I am all for mixing business with pleasure, an ethos expressed no more successfully than on the 1986/87 tour. But the difference then was that Gatting, Gower, Botham, Broad etc. were men, capable of sinking a few jars without losing sight of the reason they were there. What on earth would Eric Clapton and Elton John find to talk to some of the current crop about?

There seems to be a generation of player - those who came into the game after the likes of Cook and Anderson - who are to all intents and purposes still boys, and who appear to believe they are on some sort of off-season jolly. Perhaps it’s just me but I can also see a movement from men to boys in the Aussie camp, when I think of the likes of McGrath, Waugh and Gilchrist who simply commanded respect, including (or even particularly) from their opponents. Or perhaps I’m just getting old. But at least the Aussies seem to know how to behave off the pitch.

I have no wish to get all Mary Whitehouse about it all, but the fact is these players are playing for the fans who’ve saved for years to travel to Australia and the fans back home who have ruined their sleeping arrangements to follow the tour, only to endure two months of sledging from the token office convict.

They stopped their best player from boarding the plane, they introduced a midnight curfew, and still certain players don’t seem to understand why they are in Australia. I personally was delighted by Bayliss’ response the other day to the journalist who asked “What can you do now?” If “Perhaps think about who makes the team” is not a black and white answer for some of these players, then there really is no getting through to them.

There are some real solid pros in this England team. But I do wonder whether it isn’t time for English cricket to introduce an All Blacks-style ‘no dick heads’ rule. It didn’t seem to hurt them.

I can deal with 0-5 against the great team of Warne and McGrath. I could just about do the same when Mitchell Johnson started bowling rockets in 2013. There are times in sport where you just have to lift your hands up and say well played. But there is no, absolutely no, excuse for England getting beat 5-0 by this Australia side.

Over to you lads.

DriveClub

International Regular
England need at the very least a performance this week or, to put it bluntly, they are going to start losing fans.

I am all for mixing business with pleasure, an ethos expressed no more successfully than on the 1986/87 tour. But the difference then was that Gatting, Gower, Botham, Broad etc. were men, capable of sinking a few jars without losing sight of the reason they were there. What on earth would Eric Clapton and Elton John find to talk to some of the current crop about?

There seems to be a generation of player - those who came into the game after the likes of Cook and Anderson - who are to all intents and purposes still boys, and who appear to believe they are on some sort of off-season jolly. Perhaps it’s just me but I can also see a movement from men to boys in the Aussie camp, when I think of the likes of McGrath, Waugh and Gilchrist who simply commanded respect, including (or even particularly) from their opponents. Or perhaps I’m just getting old. But at least the Aussies seem to know how to behave off the pitch.

I have no wish to get all Mary Whitehouse about it all, but the fact is these players are playing for the fans who’ve saved for years to travel to Australia and the fans back home who have ruined their sleeping arrangements to follow the tour, only to endure two months of sledging from the token office convict.

They stopped their best player from boarding the plane, they introduced a midnight curfew, and still certain players don’t seem to understand why they are in Australia. I personally was delighted by Bayliss’ response the other day to the journalist who asked “What can you do now?” If “Perhaps think about who makes the team” is not a black and white answer for some of these players, then there really is no getting through to them.

There are some real solid pros in this England team. But I do wonder whether it isn’t time for English cricket to introduce an All Blacks-style ‘no dick heads’ rule. It didn’t seem to hurt them.

I can deal with 0-5 against the great team of Warne and McGrath. I could just about do the same when Mitchell Johnson started bowling rockets in 2013. There are times in sport where you just have to lift your hands up and say well played. But there is no, absolutely no, excuse for England getting beat 5-0 by this Australia side.

Over to you lads.
Is it wrong if I read this in a scottish accent?