• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZC Chief: 'A typical tour will be two Test matches', WI test dropped.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NZC drop West Indies Test with eye to the future | ESPNCricinfo

"If we look forward to the way Test cricket will probably go in the future, we are very hopeful that in October the ICC will sign off on a new Test Championship commencing in 2019/20," David White, the NZC chief executive, said. "A typical tour will be two Test matches, three ODIs and three T20s so we are trying to get aligned with what we'll have in the future.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Urgh. 4 tests this summer and a third successive tour from Pakistan to play a long string of ODI's.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That is a horrific schedule for test cricket.
4 tests
13 ODIs (for what?)
10 T20s

I am so very tired of hearing David White's rationalisations for this kind of thing. He refuses to speak plainly and honestly.
If we look forward to the way Test cricket will probably go in the future, we are very hopeful that in October the ICC will sign off on a new Test Championship commencing in 2019/20. A typical tour will be two Test matches, three ODIs and three T20s so we are trying to get aligned with what we'll have in the future.
... as if the 2019/2020 season has any relevance at all to the coming season.

We've got four Test matches which will be the norm going forward
One :blowup: for the content and one more :blowup: for unironic use of 'going forward'. Seriously.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And they say BCCI is killing test cricket. :laugh:

I just do not understand what removing that one test off the Windies is going to help NZC with.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
At the time of year these four tests are played, they are very likely to be weather affected, as well.

This is a really sad day for cricket in NZ. We're basically giving up on test cricket, because there's no way we will ever develop and improve as a team with four home tests per season.

Howsie

International Captain
Probably safe to assume Williamson will be New Zealand's last 100 test player (although he might have to play into his late 30's at four tests a year to make it).

It's David White so I'm not shocked by any means, but my already waning interest in cricket will continue to plummet if this becomes the norm.

Starfighter

Here's another doozy from Cricbuzz
The Test game needs to have more context, and be more relevant, especially for the younger generations coming through.
Making it look like an afterthought with by making the series so short (an potentially weather affected) will definitely help here... not. It's this sort thoughts vs actions stupidity that will kill test cricket in the end. Younger generation won't watch it if it's never on.

What an idiot.

cnerd123

likes this

Making it look like an afterthought with by making the series so short (an potentially weather affected) will definitely help here... not. It's this sort thoughts vs actions stupidity that will kill test cricket in the end. Younger generation won't watch it if it's never on.

What an idiot.
Yea exactly. When people make these statements I wonder if they're actually even asking youngsters why they don't watch cricket.

I guarantee you 9/10 times it will be just because other sports are far more accessible. More coverage on free TV and internet. Cheaper tickets. Easier to find a club to go play for.

Cricket is already hard enough to get in to because it's a slow complex sport. It's further isolating itself from fans by putting it behind paywalls and making it inaccessible. To then go ahead and claim something needs to change in cricket or that we need more T20s because the youngsters are 'just not interested' is such backwards logic.

And then you hope over the pond and see one of the best team's in the world refuse to tour a nation of 160 million cricket fans just because they don't care enough. Urgh.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

What an idiot.
Well I hope that White has it wrong and that the outcome of the Test Championship is not going to be all sides playing two match series!

It would seem to me that two match series give far less context than any other option.

Makes you wonder why we bother with a ten match per side first class programme in NZ, if these are the new priorities. Would make more sense to play three or four months of domestic 20-20s.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And they say BCCI is killing test cricket. :laugh:

I just do not understand what removing that one test off the Windies is going to help NZC with.
The BCCI is doing pretty much the same thing for our schedule for the remainder of the year. India are playing 20 LoIs in the next 2 months and it's likely that they're going to cut a test from the SA tour.

Although we are getting 3 home tests vs SL so there's that.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
David White is a ****ing pleb. What is killing Test cricket is the nimrods who administer the game, and their 'it's breaking, so we'll throw it out' defeatist mentality. Hey Test cricket is dying, it 'needs context' let's make it a two-match series to give it even less context and relevance.

What will 'save' Test cricket is strong governance and leadership to ensure it keeps its place in the international game. And if the other formats have to prop it up, so be it. If two of every 3 Tests has to be a D/N, so be it. Unfortunately we have idiots at the wheel.

The context thing gets me the most. It's such a bull**** throwaway incorrect line. Test cricket has massive context on an individual basis, a team basis, a Test basis, a series basis. Statistics, both individual and collective, have massive context. Winning Test matches is a significant achievement with context. Winning series', especially overseas or against major nations, has significant context. Two Test series in fact dull this context. 1-all after two matches? IT'S A DRAW PEOPLE! CONTEXT!

Anyone here think they'll give a **** about a Test championship? Such an administrator idea. I've never met a fan interested, be it passionate or casual. The 'context' will continue to be around the Ashes, Border/Gavaskar, and when major nations ie India v SA, Eng v SA, India v Pakistan happen (or to us as NZers, us v England or Australia). And I know as fans we get excited about any Test series win (not so much Sri Lanka, Bangladesh but the rest).

harsh.ag

Yeah, there are ways to get interest in tests going more. D/N tests. Get great players of the past involved with crowd interaction the whole time in the background. Real time strategy interactions with fans at home - an app maybe where people can outline their bowling and fielding and batting strategies as the game is on which would be shown live on air at some point. Predictions on the app too and giving out prizes to random people when their predictions come true. The full day's coverage freely available on some website/app just for the five days the test is on, then back behind a paywall.

But for me the worst part for me is that a lot of money is needed just to fund the super ballooned administrations behind the teams and you have to wonder if the thing that is killing test cricket is the high amount of fixed costs that needs to be financed now which can only be done through ODIs and T20s.