• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's quite weird really, people are saying it's all over the place, but most of them are getting through, Pliskova really the only big casualty. Cibulkova in freefall and there were a lot of unrealistic expectations for Petra, so I wasn't shocked for those two.

Kontavett really blew it today, but Wozniacki has a way of needling herself into your brain, despite being less good at tennis, she's been doing it for a decade now.
Haha, exactly. It's really annoying.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, exactly. It's really annoying.
Yeah, she is the David Ferrer of the WTA, though thankfully he finally seems on the wane. You've got to admire them in a way, but gawd I don't want to watch them, or see them beat talented players.

vcs

Ferrer has more talent than Caro. The mechanics of her forehand are really ugly and she has no touch at the net.

grecian

Ferrer has more talent than Caro. The mechanics of her forehand are really ugly and she has no touch at the net.
I despise watching Woz, but you are being harsh here, playing defence and getting the ball back means though her technique is ugly she is effective. Has Ferrer ever been to trhe net to know if he's good at it?

I hate him with a passion though, so hard for me to be dispassionate, never even been close to a major, just spoils.

Both effective but awful.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Ladies draw looks more interesting than the Men's for Monday. But because they play the whole 4th Round on one day and the big four men will be on the show courts it probably means only two of the eight ladies matches will be on Centre or Number 1.

vcs

4th Round day at Wimbledon is arguably the best day of the tennis calendar, shame it falls on a Monday. :(

flibbertyjibber

The Ladies draw looks more interesting than the Men's for Monday. But because they play the whole 4th Round on one day and the big four men will be on the show courts it probably means only two of the eight ladies matches will be on Centre or Number 1.
Konta being one of them for home bias sake.

flibbertyjibber

Well, it's not just home bias, she is a top 10 player and has a pretty good grass-court game, not sure she should be the bookies fave, but she's there or thereabouts.
But you wouldn't put that game on a show court if you were only picking 2 of the womens games if it weren't for the fact she is a home player.

grecian

But you wouldn't put that game on a show court if you were only picking 2 of the womens games if it weren't for the fact she is a home player.
Oh yeah sorry, I misunderstood your point at first, was thinking about if she was a viable winner, ignore me.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Venus on Centre and Konta on Court 1. Murray and Roger on Centre and Rafa and Novak on Court 1. Not a bad day to have Court 2 tickets.

grecian

Glad they've put Venus on centre, been disrespected for a few years at Wimbledon, won't comment on the rest as it's so depressingly predictable.

Niall

International Coach
Glad they've put Venus on centre, been disrespected for a few years at Wimbledon, won't comment on the rest as it's so depressingly predictable.
To be fair, Federer v Dimitrov could be a really good match and looking at Murray last night, he is not a cert to beat Paire who can be entertaining to watch also, not that annoyed by that line up whatsoever.

Niall

International Coach
Good stuff BBC, I have no interest in any of the high quality last 16 matches on right now, what I want to see is **** Sue Barker banter and build up to men's matches that are not on for hours. :)

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Good stuff BBC, I have no interest in any of the high quality last 16 matches on right now, what I want to see is **** Sue Barker banter and build up to men's matches that are not on for hours. :)
Well I've just switched on and am watching Kerber/Muguruza ..hopefully catching Zverev later on...:)

vcs

Would be quite happy with Kuznetsova or Azarenka winning it on the ladies side.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm no fashion expert but I'm against Kuznetsova winning this whole thing due to her outfit.

I've decided to watch Ostapenko vs Svitolina. Love Mad Monday.