• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Furball

Evil Scotsman
O'Keefe must have the best career record for a Shield spinner for years. Australia's post-Warne spinners have had famously crap domestic records but IIRC even Warne and Macgill have pretty average Shield records.

adub

International Captain
O'Keefe must have the best career record for a Shield spinner for years. Australia's post-Warne spinners have had famously crap domestic records but IIRC even Warne and Macgill have pretty average Shield records.
You've got to go back to Ian Johnson in the 40s and 50s I think to find a spinner with comparable FC numbers.

Johnson ave 23.30, eco 2.37, sr 58.8
O'Keefe ave 22.9 , eco 2.54, sr 53.9

Benaud's FC numbers are pretty tidy too:
ave 24.73, eco 2.31, sr 64

Rowdy Mallett (26.27) and Bruce Yardley (28.19) are probably the only spinners with a sub 30 average between Benaud and Warne.

SOKs numbers aren't just good, they are incredible. I know a lot of people suffer massive cognitive dissonance seeing a guy who trundles up and bowls straight breaks turn in such numbers. He looks like he should be batsman that bowls a bit of part time stuff. AB turned it further FFS. But you just can't argue with the ****'s results. He's had one year in Shield where he didn't average in the 20s since 10/11. And he does it against all the Shield sides (Qld 24.58, SA 21.41, Tas 27.76, Vic 26.69, WA 22.28). That's just insane.

Maybe he's just the luckiest **** to ever roll the arm over. But more probably you just have to accept with his record that he's unlocked the secret and is just a very very very good bowler.

adub

International Captain
Oh and just for a comparison...

Warne's Shield average against the various sides

Qld 38.28
SA 36.41
Tas 28.83
NSW 44.13
WA 28.55

oh and in case you were thinking Warne hardly played Shield...

SOK has bowled 14 more balls than Warne to Tas and 26 more balls to WA
Warne has bowled 142 more balls than SOK to QLD and 297 more balls to SA

just sayin Shane.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Wait and watch. You and your dude is in for a **** time in the next 3 games. Save this post. India will not repair sok as he'll get found out for bowling straight deliveries. And the pitch won't come to his rescue.

According to your logic, Nair is probably a Top 3 Indian batsmen because he has an impressive "domestic record" and a 300* against England on a roady road. Dire as **** logic when we are talking about International cricket on good fair surfaces.

Btw, the same god SOK allowed India A to score 400+ on a flatter surface with Iyer getting a double ton. Yea he is clearly a much much better bowler than Lyon based on a single match on a bunsen.
How can I set fire to this

adub

International Captain
He is the Glenn McGrath of spin bowlers.
Ha yeah. Look totally straight up and down until you understand the genius of what they're doing.

(and no I'm not implying SOK is as good as Pidge or Warne, not even close, just that the guy is a good operator who always makes his critics look like morons)

Bijed

International Regular
SOKs numbers aren't just good, they are incredible. I know a lot of people suffer massive cognitive dissonance seeing a guy who trundles up and bowls straight breaks turn in such numbers. He looks like he should be batsman that bowls a bit of part time stuff. AB turned it further FFS. But you just can't argue with the ****'s results. He's had one year in Shield where he didn't average in the 20s since 10/11. And he does it against all the Shield sides (Qld 24.58, SA 21.41, Tas 27.76, Vic 26.69, WA 22.28). That's just insane.

Maybe he's just the luckiest **** to ever roll the arm over. But more probably you just have to accept with his record that he's unlocked the secret and is just a very very very good bowler.
Couldn't agree with this more. I know cricket isn't played on spreadsheets and all that, but I do feel that people can be prone to going too far the other way and focusing too much on checklist analysis and qualitative (and arguably subjective) factors (i.e. does a bowler have a particular variation, if a batsman is elegant or awkward etc) and I'm not saying that this is without merit, but sometimes the numbers speak for themselves, rather loudly in SOK's case.

Also, like the new avatar, though not sure how Burgey's going to react to the notion of three TPCs, (two in the same team!)

adub

International Captain
Also, like the new avatar, though not sure how Burgey's going to react to the notion of three TPCs, (two in the same team!)
He's not a fan of the chubby TPC, but I don't think he has any problem with 2 New South Welsh TPC(s).

He'd only be really distressed if there was a Victorian TPC (as any sensible person would).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is an outrageous slur. Oh course I'm a fan of His Roundness, but you can't have three TPCs. There is but one. We've been over this time and again. So your avatar really comprises His Roundness, ItToMe and TPC. The people have one champion, his name is Steve Smith.

Burgey

You've got to go back to Ian Johnson in the 40s and 50s I think to find a spinner with comparable FC numbers.

Johnson ave 23.30, eco 2.37, sr 58.8
O'Keefe ave 22.9 , eco 2.54, sr 53.9

Benaud's FC numbers are pretty tidy too:
ave 24.73, eco 2.31, sr 64

Rowdy Mallett (26.27) and Bruce Yardley (28.19) are probably the only spinners with a sub 30 average between Benaud and Warne.

Imagine how cheaply India would have been rolled if TOTAB took the new ball in this match. 23 and 36 all out.

adub

International Captain
This is an outrageous slur. Oh course I'm a fan of His Roundness, but you can't have three TPCs. There is but one. We've been over this time and again. So your avatar really comprises His Roundness, ItToMe and TPC. The people have one champion, his name is Steve Smith.

Build a bridge.

Attachments

Burgey

adub, you're too late to the party here, unlike with your love of SOK, which is longstanding and to be commended. But you can't blow in and decide player X, Y or Z is now TPC. You have to make the call early and have the nickname stick, or not do it at all. Just as if you'd bestowed the moniker on SOK years ago and I wandered blithely in here and ascribed it to Smith, you'd understandably take umbrage.

You're Australian ffs. I expect this **** from supporters hailing from the lesser nations who aren't across the details of nickname hierarchy. But to get this from one of our own. Well, I am disappoint.

adub

International Captain
adub, you're too late to the party here, unlike with your love of SOK, which is longstanding and to be commended. But you can't blow in and decide player X, Y or Z is now TPC. You have to make the call early and have the nickname stick, or not do it at all. Just as if you'd bestowed the moniker on SOK years ago and I wandered blithely in here and ascribed it to Smith, you'd understandably take umbrage.

You're Australian ffs. I expect this **** from supporters hailing from the lesser nations who aren't across the details of nickname hierarchy. But to get this from one of our own. Well, I am disappoint.
They are good rules.

But sometimes exceptions need to be made.

When that exception puts **** on Shane Warne so completely it is surely unarguable.

cnerd123

likes this
SOK deserves the TPC moniker more than Smith does tbh. Can't remember any time fans from both teams were so unanimously overjoyed at the success of any one player in a match.

Burgey

They are good rules.

But sometimes exceptions need to be made.

When that exception puts **** on Shane Warne so completely it is surely unarguable.
But find a suitably glorious name which hasn't already been taken. We all sit around here posting random **** on this site for hours every day. There must be something someone can come up with.

Burgey

SOK deserves the TPC moniker more than Smith does tbh. Can't remember any time fans from both teams were so unanimously overjoyed at the success of any one player in a match.
I thought you were going to say it belongs to that Shakib bloke when I first saw you'd posted.

cnerd123

likes this
Like, we just go thrashed but I smile every time I see the scorecard and remember all of Warne's comments

All Steve Smith has humiliated is Blocky