• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Voges Retires from Internationals

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's hard to argue against having two divisions for tests in order to protect the sanctity of historical records and stats when you look at Voges's final standing in the batting averages.

That said, he is a good example of why the Aus selectors shouldn't be throwing guys on a scrapheap just because they've hit 32+ years old. Getting a solid two years out of them is better than nothing.
Hartley :(

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard to argue against having two divisions for tests in order to protect the sanctity of historical records and stats when you look at Voges's final standing in the batting averages.

That said, he is a good example of why the Aus selectors shouldn't be throwing guys on a scrapheap just because they've hit 32+ years old. Getting a solid two years out of them is better than nothing.
Indeed. Rogers is a better example.

Poor Katich.

viriya

International Captain
If you take longevity and opposition quality into account it's not hard to separate voges from headley and Pollock.

I have voges career rating at 490.
For comparison Pollock is at 760, headley is at 930.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
61.10 Middlesex (only 21 inns though)
45.60 Nottinghamshire
45.47 Western Australia.

He had a great 2016 Championship. 77.60.

_Ed_

I first noticed a couple of grey hairs on my head shortly after that Wellington test. I place the blame squarely on Voges.

Burgey

People will bag Voges' record because he had a poor series or two at the end of his career*, but never forget he demolished the greatest new ball attack of all time - Trent Boult and Tim Southee. People forget that this combination was equal or superior to anything seen since Gregory and McDonald in 1921.

The fact Voges was able to score so many runs against an attack of that quality means his name will always be remembered as that of an ATG.

*just after the start of his career.

Julian87

State Captain
I'm still waiting for confirmation that Voges is actually right handed. I've never seen a less natural and uncoordinated throwing style/technique at any level of senior cricket.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I first noticed a couple of grey hairs on my head shortly after that Wellington test. I place the blame squarely on Voges.
Rumour has it the hair on the back of Hurricane's neck almost stood up.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
His career does make you wonder how good guys like Graeme Pollock or George Headley really were.
I hope you dont mean this but it is really a case of looking at stats in context. It doesn't make any one with any sense wonder anything at all!

That said, good on Adam Voges for making the most of his opportunity. Was a handy and experienced bridge between Clarke and Smith's captaincy and he probably gave Smith a fair bit of guidance as he settled into the role of captain. And he kept us afloat before we made the correct decision to bring in some youth once Smith had some captaincy experience.

TheJediBrah

I hope you dont mean this but it is really a case of looking at stats in context. It doesn't make any one with any sense wonder anything at all!

That said, good on Adam Voges for making the most of his opportunity. Was a handy and experienced bridge between Clarke and Smith's captaincy and he probably gave Smith a fair bit of guidance as he settled into the role of captain. And he kept us afloat before we made the correct decision to bring in some youth once Smith had some captaincy experience.
In all honesty what did he actually do for us in terms of winning cricket? In Australia our cricket culture is very winning-focused, not that every country's isn't, but certainly Australia more so than some others which often seem to be more individual-focused.

Voges made a **** load of runs in matches that we would have won easily anyway (West Indies, New Zealand) and failed utterly when he might have helped his side win (England, Sri Lanka). The one exception I can think of to this is his debut in WI where he made a brilliant ton when no one else could score a run.

No doubt he achieved what he did, and he outperformed some very, very good players during that time against the same opposition they were playing against. Of course it's hard to quantify the value of having him around the squad and in the dressing room, but how much did he really do to help the Australian cricket team as a player?

Probably a bit harsh but still

Red

In all honesty what did he actually do for us in terms of winning cricket? In Australia our cricket culture is very winning-focused, not that every country's isn't, but certainly Australia more so than some others which often seem to be more individual-focused.

Voges made a **** load of runs in matches that we would have won easily anyway (West Indies, New Zealand) and failed utterly when he might have helped his side win (England, Sri Lanka). The one exception I can think of to this is his debut in WI where he made a brilliant ton when no one else could score a run.

No doubt he achieved what he did, and he outperformed some very, very good players during that time against the same opposition they were playing against. Of course it's hard to quantify the value of having him around the squad and in the dressing room, but how much did he really do to help the Australian cricket team as a player?

Probably a bit harsh but still
It's weird how you're sort of criticising him but also answering your own questions at the same time.

Red

Not only did I not answer my own questions, but undoubtedly they're questions that are almost impossible to answer
In all honesty what did he actually do for us in terms of winning cricket?
Voges made a **** load of runs in matches
in WI...he made a brilliant ton when no one else could score a run
Look, he was pretty disappointing in the 2015 Ashes, but who wasn't? That was a pretty weird series and FWIW he was better performed than all of : Watson, Clarke, Haddin, Bairstow, Bell. No batsman dominated that series, and only Rogers, Smith Warner and Root really looked respectable in the end. Also think it was probably the most unhappy Australian dressing room for a while.

Sri Lanka was pretty much a **** show for everyone, so I can't excuse Voges, but how harsh can you be when everyone fails.